• texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Hello all

I wanted to make something very clear to everyone here. I have the editing a post option in the settings set to 24 hours, you have that long to edit a post. This is the max time. I cannot leave it on unlimited. I have spent hours dealing with folks editing posts in a negative way, not to mention turning posts, hundreds into '..........' because they are mad. Then me having to delete them later. This compromises the integrity of a thread and the forum.

This also happens more than you may think.

I am looking into an edit post option I have seen elsewhere that allows an edit but will not allow the changing of info in the original post.

Sorry if this is a hassle, this is not uncommon on forums hence the settings.

if you need something fixed, please PM me, happy to always do it.

Until then thanks, feel free to share your thoughts, always happy to hear....
    Texas SOT

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I use edit to do mainly 2 things:

1. Provide additional information or links, and
    2. Correct typos and spelling errors.

Under your proposed change, I will still be able to do 1. but not 2, but not a big deal to me.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I use edit to do mainly 2 things:

1. Provide additional information or links, and
    2. Correct typos and spelling errors.

Under your proposed change, I will still be able to do 1. but not 2, but not a big deal to me.

You will have 24 hours to change anything, after that you will not, as it stands right now.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Correct, 24 hours, but I will try and find a fix. Like SIG_Fiend said, those emails are a pain, before you can reply they have trashed their old posts already.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    What about posts like Hicksville ones where the first few get updated for months? Or classified posts where somebody has lots of stuff for sale and marks off items as sold? Not trying to be a PITA, just curious.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Correct, 24 hours, but I will try and find a fix. Like SIG_Fiend said, those emails are a pain, before you can reply they have trashed their old posts already.

And the deletion of all that content can have some seriously negative implications for the site in terms of keyword rankings. It's also why I can't stand when people edit their classified threads and delete the price, delete gun pics, delete whole posts and just change the post content to SOLD. People use some of those old threads to study the market, determine what the going rate is for certain things, etc. Good historical data to have.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Is it possible to get the thread title option added?

It was talked about a while back and many thought it fixed, however you can change the thread title inside the open thread, not on the sub-forum list.

Agree with the For Sale threads needing a bit of time, maybe just the OPs postings in that thread could be left open indefinitely.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    For the record if something needs to be edited after the fact just pm a mod and we can get you set up. I have no problem helping a member to edit a thread title or posting to add names, dates, etc.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    QUOTE=SIG_Fiend;879874]It makes me laugh when grown men ragequit the forum and "want their account and all of their posts deleted." ;)[/QUOTE]

i was sent an email on this asking if it was me.. nope, for the record, and i know Sig will second this, in no way did I rage quit, request to have any of my posts, or account deleted.. just wanted those who asked to know that..

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    i was sent an email on this asking if it was me.. nope, for the record, and i know Sig will second this, in no way did I rage quit, request to have any of my posts, or account deleted.. just wanted those who asked to know that..

Yep, I wasn't speaking about anyone specific and was just speaking generally, so I'm sorry if that caused you any issues Pistolpadre. Since the forum started, we've literally had hundreds, if not 1k or a little more, that have done what I mentioned. It's enough that I don't remember about 98% of the people that have done it. What I was speaking to specifically though were the ones that get bent out of shape over a simple post or simple difference of opinions, and basically go from 0 to 200mph. Plenty of people come and go because of differences in opinions/principles, differences in what they're seeking, etc., and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    as long as someone, like myself, can request the power to edit a for sale thread several days later in a multiple item sale to update sold or spf items Im good. you dont need it permanently but Im not sure if thats more of a PITA for admins than just allowing editing indefinitely. im good either way

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    I am looking into better options still, I have an idea for the posts to be editable so to speak in a few places. Right now though i have it so they can :) Keep in mind 99% of everyone here is great - this is for the small % that seems to have issues.....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom