• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Hi,

I am a new resident of Texas. I come from California where gun registration under go a process of DROS, background check, and a ten day waiting period. I read this article its straight forward and very helpful, http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...e-sales-face-face-transfer-other-options.html. I am trying to buy a gun from Texas Gun trade, but so far I had nothing but negative responses from sellers. It seems that because I have a temp drivers license some sellers assume I am not a resident of the State although I have proofs of car registration, utility bill and home ownership. Anyways, I am in the talks with a seller on a nice m&P9, he asked to meet on a FFL near us. My question is, will I have to pay taxes, registration, and Dros the pistol on a FFL dealer even if its private party?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am trying to learn the Texas way on buying and selling guns.

Thanks.
    Gun Zone Deals

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    There is no gun registration in Texas. If you are making a private sale, from one resident of the state to another, there is no background check or taxes. Most private sellers at least like to see proof of residency, and some like to see a CHL/LTC, and some want to do a Bill of Sale, but there is no requirement for them to verify that.

If you are trying to make an interstate transfer of any kind, you will need to go through an FFL, who will have to do a 4473. But, you will not have to register.

Welcome to Texas! Isn't this the nice way to do it.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    There are no taxes, registration, or Dros on the private sale of a firearm within the state. There is no Dros in Texas. There is no registration in Texas. You do not have to go through an FFL with a private sale, but the seller may insist on doing so. Most FFLs charge a fee of $25-$50, so be prepared for that if you go through an FFL, but probably no tax..

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If you by a product (gun) directly from a dealer (FFL), you will need to fill out the 4473, show proper ID, undergo the standard NICS background check, pay for your item, normally including the standard sales tax for that area, and walk out with it.

Some dealers and individuals don't accept a paper ID because it is just that. I've not had a problem using one myself to make a gun purchase and have done so.

If you pass the background check, you may walk out with your purchase that day. No waiting period in Texas. Nor registration. Nor extra BS taxes and fees.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    There are no taxes, registration, or Dros on the private sale of a firearm within the state. There is no Dros in Texas. There is no registration in Texas. You do not have to go through an FFL with a private sale, but the seller may insist on doing so. Most FFLs charge a fee of $25-$50, so be prepared for that if you go through an FFL, but probably no tax..

Thanks, so if they insist should I ask them to pay for the FFL transfer charges since its optional?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Easy steps.

1. Take CHL class, take test, get CHL.
    2. Go to Gun store, buy gun, walk out.
    3. Profit ????

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Easy steps.

1. Take CHL class, take test, get CHL.
    2. Go to Gun store, buy gun, walk out.
    3. Profit ????

Yes these will be next once I get my hard copy license, and buy a decent pistol I can use for concealment.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks, seller I am talking with right now offer to pay for the FFL, so seems that is a go unless anything changes.

sammeow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    DFW
    FYI, you do not have to qualify for you LTC with your carry firearm. Known folks to do it with a full size while gonna carry a subcompact. Min caliber to qualify is .32 .

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    My question is, will I have to pay taxes, registration, and Dros the pistol on a FFL dealer even if its private party?

No, xfers are tax-exempt. Does your Temp/DL have your photo on it? If not, FFL will need some type of Govt issue photo ID.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Once you get your plastic ID, gun sales will be a lot easier. You can buy/sell in a parking lot with any Texas resident that is not a felon or a gangmember, or otherwise prohibited to own a gun. It's no different than buying a toaster or bicycle off Craigslist.

Some people will insist on meeting at an FFL to do a NICS check. I've never obliged them. There are too many guns for sale in Texas for me to put up with that nonsense. What are the circumstance that lead to the other sellers refusing to sell to you? Are you telling them you recently moved from Cali and that you only have a temp ID? When I sell a gun, I just make sure to get them on the phone so I know they're not a thug, and when I meet them I make sure their vehicle has Texas plates. Sometimes I will straight up ask "you're a Texas resident that can own a gun, right?" and if they say yes, then I've done my due diligence.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, seller I am talking with right now offer to pay for the FFL, so seems that is a go unless anything changes.

It's completely unnecessary but otherwise harmless.

Basic steps to buy a gun in Texas, third party? Agree on a deal, buy gun. It's up to buyer to know they're legal, and seller to "not know" the buyer is illegal. It's best practice as a seller, however to ask, and some will even ask to see/require seeing a Texas CHL just to be safe. It's not required, though.

From an FFL? Be able to prove residence with a photo ID. Pass NICS.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It's up to buyer to know they're legal, and seller to "not know" the buyer is illegal.

It is generally impossible for anyone to know if someone is legal. They just cannot sell if they have reason to believe it is illegal. Thus the logical solution is to ask as few questions as possible.

I have done dozens of deals over the years, never once showed ID or asked for it.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It is generally impossible for anyone to know if someone is legal. They just cannot sell if they have reason to believe it is illegal. Thus the logical solution is to ask as few questions as possible.

I have done dozens of deals over the years, never once showed ID or asked for it.

Sorry, pronoun disfunction. They seller must know it's legal for them to sell (which is almost always), e.g. they're not selling an NFA item person-to-person, they're not traveling out of state to finalize the deal, they're not selling to someone not old enough to own the weapon (e.g. transferring to a minor), etc.

They seller is only liable for the buyer's status if the seller actually knows the buyer is disallowed, e.g. a family violence conviction, felony conviction, not a Texas resident, etc. There's no requirement the seller KNOW, only that they NOT KNOW the buyer is illegal.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    If you can own a firearm in California, then I would sell you one in Texas.

You might try the local classifieds.....

http://fort-worth.texasguntrader.com/

If you need NEW then the FFL route is for you.
    If used, then "the world (TEXAS) is your oyster".

"the world is your oyster"

DEFINITION

• you are in a position to take the opportunities that life has to offer.

bob

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks guys for the feedback, I finally found someone willing to allow me to buy what I want. Seller asked me to meet him at a FFL near us, and offer to pay for the background check, so less than 20min I had my brand new two.

I think Ill get me a carrying permit to buy with more ease, or wait for the physical license to arrive before attempting to get another toy. The temp driver license give sellers a red flag, and to be honest its too much the trouble.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom