• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    This is a topic I noticed on HK Pro, and figured I'd bring it up here. Do you think that in light of the corrective economic situation we are in now we will see a stagnation, or possible lowering of the value of NFA items?

The argument has some merit as people will generally have less overall income and expendable income (mainly due to saving). This will remove some of the buying market for the NFA items. However at the same time the wealthy may see NFA items as a profitable long term investment as they have in the past and correct any down turn in the market.

What say ye?
    Military Camp

David

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I dont know what's gonna happen. I know prices are dropping on most everything, except the extreme rarities. Obviously DDs, Supressors, SBR/SBS, and AOW are for the most part exempt since they can be made everyday anyday.

I dont know if people will sell low to get cash and save; keep the prices where they're at going off previous prices; or if they're flatlining just because the value at what the market is at is all it can support.

All I know is Im a buyer and not a seller, and I like what I see.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    I think with the price of most NFA weapons, only the higher income brackets can afford them, and won't be affected as much as your average joe. As you said, there are also people who use them as investments, which for those people, there would be no reason to dump them at a loss unless they were in a pinch. I don't there's much to stop the increase in these weapons.

Austin Cowart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lumberton Texas
    well

Even if we saw a 20 percent decline in prices you would still be spending 3200 on a mac 10 or 11 as opposed to 4000 so i dont honestly think it would make a difference seeing as you have that kind of money to blow in a recession. But who knows i mean 14,000 for an MP5 instead of 18,000 isnt a bad deal but i guess you dont need a new car or need to put a kid through college either.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    makes me wonder if they are lowering the prices because they may try to ban these weapons.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I don't think the expectation of a ban would lower an NFA items value, I think it would have the opposite effect. Generally, firearms are grandfathered.....so you would expect their value to increase significantly if new production/conversions were banned. This is what we saw with hi-cap mags and the Brady Bill.

I think NFA items are fairly resistant to general economic trends. It is a niche market that is driven by desire, they are a luxury item. Some potential buyers or sellers may may be affected if they have a large percentage of their wealth in volatile real estate markets or the stock market.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think they will ban the automatic weapons. Alot of large corporations invest in them, as well as many other affluent people. They would be going up against the NRA's pocketbook members, and would get the hardest fight ever.

David

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I don't think they will ban the automatic weapons. Alot of large corporations invest in them, as well as many other affluent people. They would be going up against the NRA's pocketbook members, and would get the hardest fight ever.
    The NRA doesnt care for machine guns.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    hmm, NFA, Kansas and tax

With the legislation moving in Kansas you may soon see a new market for NFA items. Adding an entire state of eligable buyers would likely cause a small spike in prices.

I suspect the economy has some adjustment left before bottom is reached and NFA toys may continue to adjust.

I have a few worries with NFA items;

1. The $200 dollar tax could be raised. This is the same dollar amount as it was in 1934 when these items were intially regulated.

2. Silencers could be frozen and no new civilian models may be allowed as happened to machineguns in 1986.

3. The upcoming Supreme Court decision is a wild card.

The NRA has been extremely dissapointing on NFA issues. TSRA and GOA are much more agressive on supporting ALL firearm rights.

kells81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Granbury TX
    The NRA does care about cash, maybe not MG's but cash is what keeps them flowing! You have companies buying 10-100k investment pieces, If you have 100k tied up into one weapon, its in your best interest to fund the hell out of the NRA and others. YEah deer hunters etc, but most deer hunters only own one weapon and never shoot a weapon outside of something to do with deer hunting! Sprt shooters maybe, on the other side not many people care about a gun issue until someone is trying to take thier guns.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Exactly, if the NFA items suddenly came under fire you'd see alot of people jump that you might not expect. The MG's have consistently been high yield investments for corporations, and personal investors, since the inception of the restrictions. If the market was suddenly threatened there would be people coming out of the woodwork to support it, and those people have money, hence the NRA would be there to accept their money.

David

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Exactly, if the NFA items suddenly came under fire you'd see alot of people jump that you might not expect. The MG's have consistently been high yield investments for corporations, and personal investors, since the inception of the restrictions. If the market was suddenly threatened there would be people coming out of the woodwork to support it, and those people have money, hence the NRA would be there to accept their money.
    And that's the problem with the NRA, they're just another corrupt lobbyist group. When there's issues and money to be made, they'll be there. The rest of the time it's null and void.

XTPHP1

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Banned? Why? NFA owners are the most responsible and regulated sect of gun ownership. To complain about NFA owners shows exactly how stupid the anti's are. I would think they would use the NFA registration as a "example" how registration lowers crime.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Because they are illogical to begin with. Their entire argument is based upon loose foundations and speculation, and the core appeal is not rational, it's emotional.

God, my English professor would be so proud of me. Hahah...

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Because they are illogical to begin with. Their entire argument is based upon loose foundations and speculation, and the core appeal is not rational, it's emotional.

God, my English professor would be so proud of me. Hahah...

I'll admit that I'm VERY new to the gun-debate in specific, and politics in general. But thats something I've noticed about ALL anti-gun arguments; there is very little to NO factual or historical evidence that supports them or their views. I've found this to be especially true when it comes to Students with CHL carrying on campus. Damn near all of their arguments start off with "What if..." and all of the responses are "Well, this is what happened...." or "Statistically, ...."

IE. "If all students are carrying guns, people will get shot over petty things"
    "Well, In Utah they've gone through numerous semesters without a SINGLE incident of this happening. Not even accidental or misfire happenings"

Emotion < FACT.

Kind of off topic, but I just wanted to substantiate your claim.

Top Bottom