• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    ...talk to police without your lawyer.

Disloyal Opposition: Eight reasons even the innocent shouldn't talk to the police

I thought this is a great lesson to CCWers. I certainly am not posting this as an anti-LEO sentiment. I am posting it to help us as citizends to make legal, wise and correct decisions in a high stress situation.

It is vital that CCWers research and study all responsibilities and liabilities of choosing to CCW and that includes being fully aware of the aftermath should, heaven forbid, one does use their firearm in a self defense situation.

All CCWers should have a lawyer to represent them in such matters and it would be wise to discuss CCW with him/her prior to needing such representation.
    DK Firearms

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Another good example of why you don't talk to the police is the book "Homicidal Humor" written by a former Houston Homicide detective. Everything you say is taken down on a confession form and if you sign it to verify that was your statement you just confessed.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I wanted to bump this up again. It coincides with a statement in another post about CCWers needing to have an 'after shooting procedure' in the event you do use your firearm in self defense.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I don't have the time to listen through the video's but even in my CHL class, the instructor touched on what to do after a shooting. It was quick but important and the suggestion was to NOT even give a formal statement until the next day at least. One needs time to collect their thoughts and be back to a condition of clear thinking which we are not after a situation like that. He added that you'll find that even LEO's will wait until the next day, and usually do it with representation of some sort.

It's not hiding or CYA more than it is making sure you're in an emotional state to be able to articulate the events correctly.....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I don't have the time to listen through the video's but even in my CHL class, the instructor touched on what to do after a shooting. It was quick but important and the suggestion was to NOT even give a formal statement until the next day at least. One needs time to collect their thoughts and be back to a condition of clear thinking which we are not after a situation like that. He added that you'll find that even LEO's will wait until the next day, and usually do it with representation of some sort.

It's not hiding or CYA more than it is making sure you're in an emotional state to be able to articulate the events correctly.....

Yup that is exactly spot on

Texaslegal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    East Texas
    "Don't Talk to Cops Video"

If you are short of time, view about the first ten minutes of Video #1 in the post above. It will be worth your time and the point will be made. The law professor in the video is a friend of mine and a Harvard-trained former defense attorney, but he has great respect for law enforcement officers. I represent police officers and the law professor's advice is sound--not because police officers are bad--but because the confusion of any encounter and the growing nuances and complexities of criminal law do not favor informal off-the-cuff chats with police officers. It is easy for confusion and misunderstandings to result.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    If you are short of time, view about the first ten minutes of Video #1 in the post above. It will be worth your time and the point will be made. The law professor in the video is a friend of mine and a Harvard-trained former defense attorney, but he has great respect for law enforcement officers. I represent police officers and the law professor's advice is sound--not because police officers are bad--but because the confusion of any encounter and the growing nuances and complexities of criminal law do not favor informal off-the-cuff chats with police officers. It is easy for confusion and misunderstandings to result.

Thank you Texaslegal.

Let me expand on this one step. Most people have the impression that even the act of saying "I'll have a statement after discuss it with my lawyer" is an admission of guilt or that there is something that needs to be hidden. Because of this, many folks want to say something right away on scene. This urge must be resisted! It may feel like it is the complete opposite thing to do but you must keep silent.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to calm this concern about "looking guilty" so to speak?

Top Bottom