• ...and so much more!
  • tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Where are the best gun shops? So far I've liked the treatment I get form Collector's, although they are pricey...
    Military Camp

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    There aint a whole lot here. Just moved here 3 months ago. Depends, what are ya looking for ? I'm from Phoenix, and there aint one gun store that compares to the ones I am use to.

What side of town U on ?

I have found a couple of desert shooting spots, but there aint anything indoors. I have directions if needed.

No "ranges" I have found allow class III either, so desert is ONLY option.

Ammo and reload supplies ? Still working on that. Online, so far. Hate to pay shipping and hazmat fee's, but what ya gonna do ?

Went to Kirk's on the east side ( now SUN CITY GUNS ) Not alot there. THEY were nice, but nothing in stock. Went to "A smokin gun " store, on the west side, cuz it's close to where I live. It,s .......not REALLY a gun store. Ya gotta have more guns than me, to be a gun STORE ! ! ! Real nice guy though !

Anyway, Thats all I've got. Any info YOU can share to a fellow El Paso Noobie is appreciated.

I also have LOTS of brass, if ya reload. Let me know what ya shoot and what ya need.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Have you guys been to sportmans elite on mesa and I-10 in the shopping center across from walmart?

They got a pretty good selection of guns.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    No, I have not. Thanks, I will check them out.

Still looking for a place in town for reloading supplies. Mostly primers and powder. Precision delta is great for handgun bullets, but not other reload supplies.

Also, looking for Class III shooters, supplies and groups. Not much here in Hel Paso.

Naw, I like it here, just need to get a feel for the place. Thanks for the lead.

crazy_taco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    El Paso
    Cold War Shooters is starting to build up. They're on N. Mesa, next to a pet grooming place. It's pretty hard to spot, and they don't really advertise that they're there. They have tons of AR15 stuff.

spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    Sun City Guns on Montana is pretty good. Selection can be somewhat limited but the staff are really knowledgeable, can order what you need if they don't have it and are a Class 3 dealer so NFA items are no problem as well. I have always had good luck there but just my 2 cents.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Sun City Guns on Montana is pretty good. Selection can be somewhat limited but the staff are really knowledgeable, can order what you need if they don't have it and are a Class 3 dealer so NFA items are no problem as well. I have always had good luck there but just my 2 cents.

Yeah, Kirt's , I mean Sun City Guns were very cool and smart. Their gunsmith is really old, but is cool as well. They didn't have much of anything there. Out of stock. They don't do any Class III repairs either

I'm on the west side, so it is a ride to go and look at nothing.

TXSig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    El Paso
    If you need a gunsmith to work on any of your guns I recommend "Chuys" off Dyer Avenue. He raised some dents out of my 1929 Lefever.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sig, do you have a better address for Chuy's?

A friend had a trigger job done by the 'smith at Sun City; he's really pleased with the way it turned out.

I went with him when he talked with the 'smith; the guy was very knowledgable and indicated that he was careful in his work. He didn't appear to be 'very old', as reported earlier in this thread; but maybe it depends on one's perspective; I'm 77, old enough to be the grandfather of most of the TGT members.

TXSig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    El Paso
    Address is:

10342 Grouse Rd
    El Paso, TX 79924-2710
    (915) 822-3030

He has a few guns there in his shop, but they were pricey.

lrsdsniper01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    el paso
    and might anybody know of some good surplus places around here and please don't say the one on fred wilson. if thats the best then i guess its back to on-line ordering.

AKM Raider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    El Paso
    I think there’s surplus store downtown on El Paso st & San Antonio ave .I've driven by it but never been inside.. welcome to El Paso.

memo79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    El Paso
    Back to the gun shops - I've had a good experience with El Paso Gun Exchange. They're on Edgmere just east of Bassett Center. Exit Geronimo, turn north and then turn east on edgemere, it's in the shopping center on the right. They have a pretty good selection of guns, both long- and handguns. I didn't buy anything from them (no $$) but they had a good selection of Law-Enforcement-only handguns at lower prices than most of the other private gun shops, and the staff seemed pretty knowledgeable. As far as I've been able to tell, though, Academy has had the best prices on ANY new guns, but their salesperson behind the counter (depending on who it is when you go) may not know too much about guns.
    I second the rating on Collector's Gun Exchange. They are usually very helpful and knowledgeable, and have a good selection as well. I did overhear the owner mention one day while in the store, though, that he is no longer doing FFL transfers to the public. I don't know if maybe he's still doing it for friends/people who he's done before, but just fyi.

Edit: Oh, and as far as tactical gear/ammo, I recommend NOT going to Alamo Shooters. As a matter of fact, I ORDER you guys not to go there!! j/k. Everything is marked up WAY above what you can get it for elsewhere, from what I've seen there's usually a 40-50% mark-up. I went in there looking for an Uncle mikes in-the-pants holster, and they "didn't carry" those kinds of holsters. I doubt the guy even knew what I meant. But what he did show me (police rigs, shoulder harnesses, etc) looked way overpriced. Also I looked at a rail-mounted light for my FNP, and they had one listed at $289, meanwhile academy has them for $189. The best part about the place is the Radio Control plane/car shop they just added. The guy there was super friendly and he at least knew something about the stuff he was selling.

TXSig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    El Paso
    I also recommend the El Paso Gun Exchange. If you're law enforcmeent you can get a pistol at almost factory prices!

TXSig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    El Paso
    I haven't been on here in a while. Here's the address:

10342 Grouse Road
    El Paso, TX 79924-2710
    (915) 822-3030

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Also; if you know what you want... see Brian? (jeese my memory for names sucks) at West Texas Firearms. He's the only kitchen table ffl I've found here and is definitely good people.

When everyone in town was overpriced on .223, he hooked me up with a half case for just over $100.

zombie237

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    El Paso
    i'll add my 2 cents to west texas firearms, got 2 from Brian so far and he's got the best prices in town, excellent service and whatever you want, he'll order and it'll be in around 2 days later on average. EXCELLENT SERVICE! it's a home address, works outta the house in northeast el paso, 4509 Cupid, get off I54 on transmountain, turn right and hang a left on kenworthy, drive down a bit to find gaius and turn left cupid is second right and all the way down on your right you'll find his place. Best in town.

Top Bottom