• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    what would break an extractor like that? does the 590A1 have two extractors?
    tonelar, it's not the A1 model.

I'll post pictures of it. I already took the bolt apart and chucked the broken extractor in the trash.

I really don't know what broke it... I didn't immediately notice the broken tip when I bought it. The lady played it so dumb; "um, it's a 12 ga shotgun" she even fooled me, lol. I saw it was a 590 in great cosmetic condition, and I didn't think she knew what it was. For the asking price of $150, I thought this is the parking lot deal of the year... In reality, it still is a fantastic deal; but it's going to take a little effort on my end to get this gun to run right.

The extractor arm that faces the ejection port is broken at the tip and doesn't hold the shell down nor allow the shell to eject properly and sometimes leaves the spent hull in the chamber. Causes more jams than anything else.

I called Mossberg, told them what is broken, and for $9 they are sending me a new one. Hasn't arrived yet, but it should be fixed by the end of the week.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Shot it yesterday morning.
    The new ejector is fixed, and the gun runs "just ok"

It has a hard time pulling Federal (low-walled bird shot) from the tube, but overall works ok.
    1 out of every 20 will not eject (get pulled) out of the barrel. I must remove the next shell from the receiver, run the forend home, and try again. Ejects the second time.

Shoots slugs, #4, and 00 Buck effectively with no issues.

Honestly, my Maverick 88 functions better.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    FullSizeR.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeR1.jpg
      FullSizeR1.jpg
      343.7 KB · Views: 42
    • FullSizeR2.jpg
      FullSizeR2.jpg
      190 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_2795.jpg
      IMG_2795.jpg
      222.6 KB · Views: 44

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Shot it yesterday morning.
    The new ejector is fixed, and the gun runs "just ok"

It has a hard time pulling Federal (low-walled bird shot) from the tube, but overall works ok.
    1 out of every 20 will not eject (get pulled) out of the barrel. I must remove the next shell from the receiver, run the forend home, and try again. Ejects the second time.

Shoots slugs, #4, and 00 Buck effectively with no issues.

Honestly, my Maverick 88 functions better.

I wonder if a stiffer extractor spring would fix that minor issue. If you want, when we meet next time, I'll take mine and we can throw the bolt into yours to rule it out. Want to?

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    how shiny is the chamber… maybe polishing it will keep random shells from sticking?
    was it doing this hot more than cold?

now, maybe that’s why the broken extractor…

I’d get cases sticking in an older Win pump, shooting cheaper bulk ammo (the hotter it got, the cheap metal bases seemed to stick more often)

solved it by putting a polish on the chamber.

Update: over in the shotgun forum, there are reports that bulk Federal (bird / target) sometimes expand more than spec.

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    how shiny is the chamber… maybe polishing it will keep random shells from sticking?
    was it doing this hot more than cold?

now, maybe that’s why the broken extractor…

I’d get cases sticking in an older Win pump, shooting cheaper bulk ammo (the hotter it got, the cheap metal bases seemed to stick more often)

solved it by putting a polish on the chamber.

Update: over in the shotgun forum, there are reports that bulk Federal (bird / target) sometimes expand more than spec.
    Chamber looks great. No visible damage or carbon buildup.
    I cleaned it before I took it out this Sunday, thus not sure why there is still an issue.

I will focus on polishing the chamber more, but as a 590 it should be running circles around my other shotguns... unfortunately it is not.
    I'll get it going... I just got what I paid for.

I didn't know about the Federal reports... ill look into it.

Top Bottom