• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I use Dorco 3 blades and cremo shave lotion It seems to do a better job then the canned stuff. Dorco make some of the Razors for Dollar shave club.

Barkstar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Spring, Texas
    Just a quick thought about "traditional" shaving. While some electric shaver may be better than another (and some are very good), you'll never top the shave you get with a double edge safety razor. I use a quality razor (Merkur "Sledgehammer") which is very aggressive. I pair that with the sharpest double-edged blades in the world, Feather brand from Japan. The shave is incredible, and I generally can go 3 or 4 days before shaving again.
    I will ad that I'm retired, and probably would shave daily if still working, but as a man of leisure (and lazy) 3 days is fine, and I get no complaints.

I agree that the idea of getting rid of shaving creams, etc., is attractive. I have actually reached the point in my life where I enjoy a shave with piping hot water, lotion, and aftershave. It's relaxing, and it's "me" time.
    Unlike shaving with an electric, traditional or wet-shaving really is a skill. Once you get the hang of it (took me 50 years!) you can get a super shave with little effort. Plus you get to appreciate how old you really look.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    I went through a couple of Remington electrics in my earlier years, the wet shaved for a while, cannot remember what, then went to Norelco rechargeable triple heads for a long time, and finally got tired of batteries not holding up and heads wearing out fast and getting expensive. I was in an antique mall and happened across an old Gillette barn door razor, and picked it up. Was amazed at how nice the shave was, and ended up finding a shaving forum learning a bit, and getting several different kinds and makes of razors. I like the old Gillette's especially the adjustable toggle model as well as the old Gem 1912 single edge razor, probably my favorite, the one I use has the chrome worn off so it has kind of a mottled chrome/brass finish. I don't care for these new Gillette/Schick multi blade razors. There are a lot of small businesses making some fantastic razors, mostly in finely cast or machined stainless steel for all the formats, double edge blades, Gem style single edge and the Schick injector, as well a a newer Japanese Artist style, which is a larger longer injector blade, I have a couple of double edge adjustables that were made in Turkey that are of a better quality than anything Gillett ever made.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I like the quick convenience of the electric but get a kick out of the instructions that say "give it a couple weeks for your beard to adjust".

What that really means is give yourself a couple weeks to see just how hard you must press your face with it to get it to cut.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As far back as I can remember, my grandfather was always clean-shaven. He used a straight razor up until maybe a month or so before he passed away. Granny shaved him with a safety razor after he got too weak to do it himself.

He had an old coffee cup with with a cake of shaving soap, that he used a brush to make the lather with. He always finished up with Old Spice aftershave that we got him for Christmas every year. I think that all he ever used that I can remember.

It was kind of cool to watch him shave with that old straight razor! Personally, I never really got the hang of one.

Top Bottom