• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Tradition should be respected, I can appreciate keeping things old school. I can also appreciate modern technology and convenience, especially considering my work schedule and the desire to spend what valuable free time I have tending to my children instead of a bbq pit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Perfectly reasonable perspective, everyone assesses their individual priorities and allocates their resources accordingly.

The difference is trying to convince yourself or others (not you personally, the ubiquitous 'you') the things that have been de-prioritized are equivalent (or superior) despite applying compromise. It seems prevalent in this thread (again not you) and while there is absolutely nothing negative about dedicating your time to things more important to you, convenience (less time/attention) has a cost. Differences in materials (ex. pellets), temperature, smoke saturation, level of combustion (heavy white smoke bad) and many other elements likewise contribute a cost.

I don't really care how people choose to approach their product but at least acknowledge it's not the same. A 6 hour brisket unattended in an electric cooker and determined 'done' by temperature is not the same as a 13 hour continuously tended brisket determined 'done' by feel and decades of experience. Just the normal variation in muscle tone or marbling asserts that can't be factual.

Sometimes 'old school' is not just 'old'.
    Gun Zone Deals

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I agree with your thoughts @Whistler. I'm not too old (or so I dont think at 39) but I appreciate tradition and the knowledge one must obtain to master their craft. For the record, I cook with wood or charcoal exclusively, never owned a gas grill or electric smoker (but I have played on one a few times).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Besides the one I built pictured earlier, I also built these others - the larger one weighed in at 5,000 lbs, and is anchored w/2,000 lbs of concrete (plus the concrete used to fill the tubular steel legs, just in case anyone ever got the wild hair up their butts to attempt to cut the legs off and steal it) that I built with the Gruene Harley Owners Group - it's at the local HD dealer here in NB. It was one of those "We need a pit for fundraisers", so I offered to design and help build it if they'd come up with some more manpower - and it got done.
    The other is a MUCH smaller one built for a buddy of mine - in the background is my old pit I'd built in '86, which the pit above replaced
    100_0292.jpg
    Done.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0292.jpg
      100_0292.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 446
    • Done.jpg
      Done.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 435

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Thing is - I also own a gas grill and an electric smoker. Each has its' advantages, but when I'm cookin' for large groups the big pit is what I smoke my shoulder clods on. If it's just one, then I used the electric set very low, and still cook it for a minimum of 12 hours.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Perfectly reasonable perspective, everyone assesses their individual priorities and allocates their resources accordingly.

The difference is trying to convince yourself or others (not you personally, the ubiquitous 'you') the things that have been de-prioritized are equivalent (or superior) despite applying compromise. It seems prevalent in this thread (again not you) and while there is absolutely nothing negative about dedicating your time to things more important to you, convenience (less time/attention) has a cost. Differences in materials (ex. pellets), temperature, smoke saturation, level of combustion (heavy white smoke bad) and many other elements likewise contribute a cost.

I don't really care how people choose to approach their product but at least acknowledge it's not the same. A 6 hour brisket unattended in an electric cooker and determined 'done' by temperature is not the same as a 13 hour continuously tended brisket determined 'done' by feel and decades of experience. Just the normal variation in muscle tone or marbling asserts that can't be factual.

Sometimes 'old school' is not just 'old'.
    Exactly, to each their own. I've had some fine food prepared on gas and electric rigs, just not by me. Each method and device takes time to practice and experiment with. I'm 37 and was a pit helper with my grandfather and father on wood smokers from the time I could walk. It is all I know. About 2 years ago I bought a Traeger for the convenience ("this is great I can set it and spend the day on the mower virtually uninterrupted") and learned after several horribly failed attempts that it is a completely different way of smoking attended or not. The Traeger went on Craigslist....

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My first BBQ exposure as a boy was burning splits and shoveling coals in a dugout brick pit as directed. I too stay with stick burners because its how I learned but its also how I turn out my best product.

I've had tasty ribs from a crockpot but nothing like I can produce from an offset stick burner.

My first 'store bought' smoker was a New Braunfels Bandera , just finished completely rebuilding that smoker from a pile of mostly rust.

Bought my big smoker used, didn't run worth crap, about $800 worth of steel and a half dozen weekends later it draws like a dream and holds even temp on a fire no bigger than a soccer ball. Damn ugly though.

To me its about more than the BBQ that comes off it. Its memories, skill, Zen, pride, craftsmanship and tradition.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    A few friends have the large green Egg and rave over it. To me its to much work lol. But I am lazy.
    Yea same here. They seem like they are simple when it comes to using it as a normal grill but who knows. I see a decent one on home depot for $499. This thing better give a bj too for that price lol

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    There is a short learning curve with the ceramic eggs (big green egg, vision, etc). But once you master it and figure out what intake and exhaust settings stabilize at what temperature, you will be a hero. Imagine stabilizing your temp, throwing on a brisket, and waking up to your alarm clock 10 hours later. No maintenance and temp within 5 degrees of what you started at. It’s magical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There is a short learning curve with the ceramic eggs (big green egg, vision, etc). But once you master it and figure out what intake and exhaust settings stabilize at what temperature, you will be a hero. ...

Yes, in that respect, not much different from a Webber Kettle.

Each type/style of cooker and preferred method has a learning curve. What I like about the BGEs is the versatility. What I dislike is that it’s essentially a charcoal cooker...NTTAWT, but not my personal preference.

And yes, I know one can throw hardwood in the mix if they so desire.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Briquettes have binders and other additives, if you must use them don't start them with petroleum products in your smoker, use an external charcoal starter. You don't want to introduce terpenes which can cause your BBQ to be bitter.

There are all natural charcoals but they are more expensive. I know many people that use BGEs with wood chips, a healthier alternative but more work as they don't burn as long.

Like any smoker its about learning how to use the rig. Be patient and any setup can be effective.

BGEs hold heat very well and don't take a lot of fuel to run.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I love my BGE. I’m no pro, but I get good results consistently with it. Bone-in chicken breasts, ribs, pork tenderloin, hamburgers, etc. all come out great. I’ve had mine for 15 years and have never regretted spending the money on it.

I use lump charcoal, not briquettes.

And for those who have a smaller patio or are limited on storage space, the BGE has a smaller footprint than a typical gas grill, pellet grill or smoker. Mine is in one of the BGE Nests, and it’s easy to move around.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    My .02 cents....
    I've done them all. With the exception of an egg type cooker. Electric, gas, stick burner, charcoal. Still have my 5' x 20" offset stick burner that I'll use for large cooks.
    I recently purchased a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed grill/smoker and for most of my outdoor cooking will not use anything else now. Large enough for a 22" wide packer brisket, I can grill at temps up to 700 deg for a good sear, or I can go low and slow for things like the brisket I did last weekend. Can use briquettes, lump charcoal, and in several cases of owners, real wood. Digital temp control w/fan keeps the cooker at a +/- 3 degrees.
    View attachment 198085

How do you like your 560? Do you use lump or briquettes? I like lump in my Weber for the heat but I don’t care for the fireworks show. If you use lump in the 560, do the embers fly like usual?

I will likely be ordering a 560 in the next few weeks, my 30” masterbuilt electric has served me well, but I need more room.

JLMcC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Update on the Cookshack Amerique electric smoker. It's seen some hard use since I first got in home and muddled through that first batch of chicken thighs and the homerun on the 14 racks of pork ribs.
    I've cooked three BRISKETS this year with one OK result I attribute to not wrapping the meat and having an electrical outage about two hours into the 210 degree cook. My mitigation was good enough to get the meat finished but it was better as chopped brisket than sliced. The second and third briskets (foil wrapped) were really good and very nearly great, respectively.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    my meat prob died on my last cook and well it came out like poo

8lb boston butt down the crapper.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    Been a Traeger user for almost 13 years, absolutely LOVE it. I love set and forget, as long as you make sure there's enough pellets in the bin! I start my briskets about 9:00 at night and then they're perfect about noon the next day!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How do you like your 560? Do you use lump or briquettes? I like lump in my Weber for the heat but I don’t care for the fireworks show. If you use lump in the 560, do the embers fly like usual?

I will likely be ordering a 560 in the next few weeks, my 30” masterbuilt electric has served me well, but I need more room.

I’ve had my 560 for a week now and love it. Gets to the exact temp you want in <15 mins and stays there.

I prefer high quality briquettes I’ve lump in the 560 because they last longer. No worries about the fireworks show with lump, it’s all contained in the hopper which is separate from the smoke chamber.

There’s a FB group with a ton of info and also some okay uTube reviews. I did not order mine, instead found a pre-assembled one on my fourth store...there’s a history of damaged upon arrival and I didnt want to mess with that so hit Home Depot’s until I found one with an assembled, Undamaged unit.

Top Bottom