Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I rented a Ford Fusion Hybrid one time. It did get great gas mileage. My biggest surprise was while driving down the freeway and going on overpasses, the system would regenerate on the minuscule downhill.
    For strictly battery powered cars, where is all of the spare grid power going to come from to charge them? And we will be able to build a new Rocky Mountains from the discarded batteries.
    I keep a couple jerry cans full of gas in case of a hurricane. If I had rely on an electric vehicle to evacuate with thousands of other electric vehicles, where on earth could you plug that many cars in? The roads would be littered with discharged vehicles...
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I rented a Ford Fusion Hybrid one time. It did get great gas mileage. My biggest surprise was while driving down the freeway and going on overpasses, the system would regenerate on the minuscule downhill.
    For strictly battery powered cars, where is all of the spare grid power going to come from to charge them? And we will be able to build a new Rocky Mountains from the discarded batteries.
    I keep a couple jerry cans full of gas in case of a hurricane. If I had rely on an electric vehicle to evacuate with thousands of other electric vehicles, where on earth could you plug that many cars in? The roads would be littered with discharged vehicles...
    Every seen the gas lines and closed gas stations after even the threat of a hurricane?

No different

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Big time. It was downright slow in Denver, but it was pathetically lethargic in Breckenridge. Even at higher RPM in 3rd gear it wouldn't go faster than 45 on a grade.

We flew into Denver a few weeks ago and I shot a USPSA match 3 days later... bad headache by the 3rd stage, and by the end my legs were cramping too. No fun.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ... If I had rely on an electric vehicle to evacuate with thousands of other electric vehicles, where on earth could you plug that many cars in? The roads would be littered with discharged vehicles...

Given the present transportation infrastructure electric cars make a sensible not-your-only vehicle.

Though.....how soon we forget.
    In the post-Harvey storm aftermath most Texans had no access to gasoline!!!
    All the stations around here were utterly empty.

If ya' want to live off the grid, might I suggest a horse?

Petrol or electric......
    both are utterly dead off the grid.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Still can get going with a gas can. Go ahead and carry a charger back to your car.
    You could recharge with solar panels. Might take a week for a full charge, but you should be bugging in anyways.

I do agree pure EVs are impractical. Hybrid makes a lot more sense... I haven't really seen a hybrid implementation I really like yet, tho. The i8 is close.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    In the Houston area for sure, unless you have something designed for high water crossing you're pretty well stuck when storms hit, if you didn't leave WELL in advance. Bugging in really is the plan for most cases, and the name of the game becomes "what can I afford to lose in the flooding."

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . . If I had rely on an electric vehicle to evacuate with thousands of other electric vehicles, where on earth could you plug that many cars in? The roads would be littered with discharged vehicles...

I think the recharge infrastructure will eventually have to be built into the roadways themselves, so the cars will charge as they move down the road.

The cost and complexity of that solution is mind boggling, though. And, at our current rate of decline, the US will become a third world nation long before we could implement a system like that.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm still waiting for fusion power.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQEPHTtte1DYlhiHrhyVRx0YMVxwJKx0lmWsB5hfNyw5Nqa5IQ.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQEPHTtte1DYlhiHrhyVRx0YMVxwJKx0lmWsB5hfNyw5Nqa5IQ.jpg
      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQEPHTtte1DYlhiHrhyVRx0YMVxwJKx0lmWsB5hfNyw5Nqa5IQ.jpg
      9.5 KB · Views: 276

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The cost and complexity of that solution is mind boggling, .

Yes. But would million barrel oil tankers sailing the seas have been mind boggling to Henry Ford??

We have the grid. It's just an embellishment of existing infrastructure.

Burning fossil fuels at the rate we do will soon seem mind bogglingly quaint and, quite likely, foolish.

Last edited:

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Just one EMP and no one drives, except diesels with mechanical fuel injection. Time to repair from EMP? YEARS!

I read a lot of TEOTWAWKI fiction, among other types, and I'm really curious, and skeptical, at this point about exactly how severe the effects of an EMP would be.

There simply isn't a lot of public domain, modern, research on it. Yes, the 1950s air burst that knocked out some headlights and lightbulbs in Hawaii, but it's a different world, now, no?

The mere existence of MIL-STD-461 (and a few others) tells me that basically, I think it's more likely you're right than wrong, and that's kinda...frightening, at the very least.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Wow...

517ee555ff3421f088778e42cf81fb5d.jpg

3446b1bb5203cb253349908d48126e6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 517ee555ff3421f088778e42cf81fb5d.jpg