Patriot Mobile

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    And I still ask..... Was it worth the TRILLIONS of $ in TAXPAYER INCENTIVES that it costs all of us?
    Texas SOT

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    And I still ask..... Was it worth the TRILLIONS of $ in TAXPAYER INCENTIVES that it costs all of us?

Yet another thing that our founding fathers- all the men who signed the DOI, imho, would agree has ZERO authorization per our constitution...

It's such a simple document in so many ways. It's crazy to me to see all of the things our federal govt does that AREN'T in it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    My Debbie Downer comment of the day: Until China makes a significant reduction in air pollution, even if the the USA went 100% electric in cars, aircraft, ships, trucks, and any other matter of conveyance... it would make an imperceptible difference in world air pollution.
    A 20% reduction in air pollution in China would cancel out all USA air pollution. I didn’t even bring up India.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    My Debbie Downer comment of the day: Until China makes a significant reduction in air pollution, even if the the USA went 100% electric in cars, aircraft, ships, trucks, and any other matter of conveyance... it would make an imperceptible difference in world air pollution.

Not just China, but India, Russia, and Brazil- among other countries... I read somewhere that India has more 2 stroke engine powered vehicles than ALL of the 4 stroke motors in the rest of the world.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Modern automobiles contribute very little pollution.

A car from the 60’s, on a hot day and not even running, emits more pollution in the form of evaporative emissions than a new car that’s idling.

A single supersized cargo ship burning bunker fuel can emits as much pollution as 50 million cars.
    https://newatlas.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

We in the western world have money to chase diminishing returns while the rest of the world doesn’t give a rats ass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A 20% reduction in air pollution in China would cancel out all USA air pollution. I didn’t even bring up India.

True.
    True.
    Unrelated.

I want a Tesla because they are a freaking awesome hoot to drive.

I knew Prius buyers who were out to save the world with their PC green purchase.
    My friends owning Teslas pretty much say F-all-that.
    They just love the visceral rush the instant torque give them when applied to their gonads!!!

Callin' it like it is.

:)

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    True.
    True.
    Unrelated.

I want a Tesla because they are a freaking awesome hoot to drive.

I knew Prius buyers who were out to save the world with their PC green purchase.
    My friends owning Teslas pretty much say F-all-that.
    They just love the visceral rush the instant torque give them when applied to their gonads!!!

Callin' it like it is.

:)

In that case I guess you are welcome to my contribution to your need for speed.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    A single electric-car battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Fabricating one requires digging up, moving and processing more than 500,000 pounds of raw materials somewhere on the planet. The alternative? Use gasoline and extract one-tenth as much total tonnage to deliver the same number of vehicle-miles over the battery’s seven-year life.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    A single electric-car battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Fabricating one requires digging up, moving and processing more than 500,000 pounds of raw materials somewhere on the planet. The alternative? Use gasoline and extract one-tenth as much total tonnage to deliver the same number of vehicle-miles over the battery’s seven-year life.
    That’s a hell of a point.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A single electric-car battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. ...

Tesla 3, their smallest car.
    Battery weighs 1,045 pounds.

Tesla Roadster, soon to hit the highways?
    Battery weighs about 1,800 pounds.
    That would require upwards of a million pounds of excavated material to produce.
    Presumably tussled about employing fossil fueled machinery.

I'm an inveterate fact-checker.
    I need assistance. Can't seem to locate a true/false reference.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Can you provide a link to any data that substantiates that?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1122838_busting-7-of-the-most-common-myths-about-electric-cars

Is that true?
    It may be and if so it's an impressive factoid.

There a lot of naysayer-myths confabulated to discredit EV benefits. See link.

If you have a reference I'm eager to learn.
    Source: WSJ article written by
    Mr. Mills is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a partner in Cottonwood Venture Partners, an energy-tech venture fund, and author of the recent report, “The ‘New Energy Economy’: An Exercise in Magical Thinking.”

Far more an authoritative source than most any pro electric car stuff I have seen.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Can you provide a link to any data that substantiates that?
    WSJ article, appeared in August 6 print edition. Read it to your hearts content.

And there are many more detrimental aspects of electric cars mentioned in the article. Wish I could post it with attribution, but the site does not want that.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's just the way mining works these days. Dig up tons of material and dissolve it in various solutions to get many different elements out of it. It's really the only way to get rare earth elements in usable quantities, and it's also popular for more mundane things like copper.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Mining is dirty.
    There’s no way around it.

For context, let’s look at cooper, which has a yield of 0.07%

If we mine 28,350 lbs of ore, 28,150 lbs are material are literally discarded to yield 200 lbs of copper.

While that “500,000 lbs of material for one battery pack” statement may be true, let’s see what the actual yield is and how it compares to other materials that are mined. Otherwise we have little basis for knowing if this is unusual or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom