DK Firearms

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The power infrastructure in the US was never designed for providing as much power as EV’s will require. Neighborhood power distribution grids will start catching fire if everyone is charging 2 EV’s. What happens when your kids show up and need to charge.

Mountains of poison batteries for our children. The raw materials come from conflict areas.

Will insurance companies allow you to park them in garages, the way they catch fire. Used EV’s are already banned from transport ships due to the multiple losses of entire ships. When they catch fire, there is not any method in common use to extinguish them.

There will NEVER be an electric car at my house.
    Lynx Defense

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I thought about this. First, I think the battery costs and adverse impacts of their manufacture, replacement and disposal already overwhelm the supposed advantages. Secondly, they're monstrously subsidized and without that gov't support they aren't even close to cost effective. Third, as noted the grid simply can't support them, now or ever based on the ongoing economic decline. Personally, I never thought they were a viable idea in the first place, but that's JMHO...

RobboHouTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Houston
    Folks need to realize we're talking major upgrade/expansion of the grid for full scale EV adoption to happen. So far I'm not seeing much realistic planning for that to happen (and no, windmills and solar farms will not suffice).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The power infrastructure in the US was never designed for providing as much power as EV’s will require. Neighborhood power distribution grids will start catching fire if everyone is charging 2 EV’s. What happens when your kids show up and need to charge.

Mountains of poison batteries for our children. The raw materials come from conflict areas.

Will insurance companies allow you to park them in garages, the way they catch fire. Used EV’s are already banned from transport ships due to the multiple losses of entire ships. When they catch fire, there is not any method in common use to extinguish them.

There will NEVER be an electric car at my house.
    Also think about that the battery pack has a life-cycle, just like any other battery. And at some point it's going to need to be replaced. That means more than likely having to go to the vehicles dealer for a replacment. And that isn't going to be cheap.

This Tesla owner was looking at over $22K for a battery replacement.

And if insurance companies balk at an EV being garaged in the main living structure because of the danger of a fire, how many people are going to build a seperate structure to garage the vehicle?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Wife and I were in a parking garage last month, and there was a sign stating BEV vehicles are prohibited.

Also, there was this article I read recently about a young driver who received a preowned electric Ford Focus as a gift. The battery crapped out and cost more than the value of the car to replace.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Electric cars kinda make me think of weiners. I know the new turkey weiners are better for me but I’m not yet ready to give up an all beef Nathans. They just taste so much better. Similar to comparing the pussy sound of an electric car versus the sweet rumble of an American V8. I guess I’m old fashioned to a fault but I don’t mind being faulty.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I didn’t read the whole thread so sorry if I’m repeating another’s idea. I think electric vehicles need two major fixes to be worthwhile….

1. Roofs that are solar panels that charge the battery while in the sun, driving or parked, and

2. Replacement batteries under $6K

I’d love an electric car…as a commuter. But nothing makes sense for me at this time…

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Solar roof wouldn't contribute a meaningful amount of power at this stage in the game. Say you could put even 2 sq. meters worth of solar on the roof. That's about 0.5kWh avg in full sun. Not going to put much of a dent in a 50+ kWh battery pack. Maybe 3-4kWh in a day?

Top Bottom