Join TexasGunTalk

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by HKShooter65, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    Well, if you have the money upfront (they have become MUCH more affordable in the last 10 years), you can always invest in solar panels. From what I understand, they are usually warrantied for about 20+ years, and can save you quite a bit of money in the long run. If you could power your car with them, that's a huge benefit. I believe a system generally costs around $10k-$15K. I'm starting to look into them because once I get my career really going and have some money saved up, I plan on buying some land and building a cabin on it. I plan on making it mostly off grid without giving up too many modern amenities.

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Interesting tidbit - If you live in a subdivision where the HOA does not allow the installation of solar panels, the law changed a while back. Apparently quite a while ago, much longer than I realized, state law was changed to render those deed restrictions void. Subject to some minor and reasonable restrictions on things like color and roof placement, HOAs can no longer forbid their installation.

That must be a bitter pill for certain power-drunk, tight-ass HOAs to swallow. :)

Southpaw, toddnjoyce and GoPappy like this.
  3. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    That's good to hear. I hate HOAs. If it's your property, you should be allowed to do as you will within the confines of the real law, not that made up BS HOAs like to force on people. I don't plan on living anywhere near anything even remotely resembling an HOA.

kbaxter60 and Bithabus like this.
  4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I greatly appreciate the fact that I've been very lucky; my HOA has been quite reasonable for the last 25+ years. Some HOAs are horror stories and they all have the potential to become one.

As it relates to this thread, though, I just wanted to point out that since the law changed in September of 2015 your interest in solar panels can be shared by folks no matter where they live in Texas.

Maverick44 likes this.
  5. GoPappy

GoPappy Active Member

Dec 18, 2015
    The Texas legislature did the same thing for satellite dishes a number of years ago. There were too many HOA Nazis prohibiting residents from using satellite dishes.

Every HOA seems to have at least one nazi with nothing to do other than obsess over over residents’ violations (or perceived violations) of HOA rules or restrictions.

Maverick44 likes this.
  6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    When are mail carriers required to provide their own vehicles vs drive an assigned truck?

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To use the term "nazi" here is just really stupid.

8. innominate

innominate Active Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    It's a figure of speech. Like the soup nazi from Seinfeld.

GoPappy likes this.
  9. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    bk0I82v.jpg

Move the motor to the middle, give it a tiny bump in horsepower, and .... 2.8 seconds 0-60 all day long.

SidewaysTA likes this.
  10. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A Model S P90D isn’t much slower than a P100D, a few tenths is all that separates them, as shown in the video where they race head-to-head.

I don’t think that Tesla knew you were racing.

A 500-hp 911R doesn’t catch a P100D until past 130 mph, as show in this video.

A P90D in the quarter, running low-11 seconds at 120+ mph ain’t no joke.

At least one stock P90D, a factory lightweight with no options, has run a 10.9 quarter. And similar P100D’s have run as quick as 10.6

A stock Camaro isn’t going to walk on any of these cars if truly driven in anger...quite the opposite, methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019