Texas SOT

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    They can be extinguished, and have been in the past. They are a pain in the ass and take a lot of time and water, but they can be extinguished. Some newer vehicles are being made so that the floor pans drop out providing better access to the batteries. This does create additional issues, but in that case access to the batteries is not one of them.
    I guess blowing on a campfire long enough will extinguish it too.
    Capitol Armory ad

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I keep reading pros and cons regarding the EVs on different forums and in the comment sections of magazine articles. I see the battery fires. I see the expensive battery replacements. I read about the charging infrastructure and range anxiety. What I have heard very little about is owner experiences in extreme environments. Range must be severely affected up north during the winter, but I really haven’t read many first hand experiences. Are they just not talking about it? I don’t remember which country it is, but theres a Nordic country with the highest EV per capita. Is it Sweden? Finland? They have cold winters, but I never hear anything about the effect on the charge.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I keep reading pros and cons regarding the EVs on different forums and in the comment sections of magazine articles. I see the battery fires. I see the expensive battery replacements. I read about the charging infrastructure and range anxiety. What I have heard very little about is owner experiences in extreme environments. Range must be severely affected up north during the winter, but I really haven’t read many first hand experiences. Are they just not talking about it? I don’t remember which country it is, but theres a Nordic country with the highest EV per capita. Is it Sweden? Finland? They have cold winters, but I never hear anything about the effect on the charge.
    That's Norway.

It depends on weather you like using the heater and the way the car manages temp of batteries.

Depending on the source, weather its green energy worshippers or green energey haters You hear stories from it only loses 20% to they are unusable cause they drop to 50 Mile's of range.

Tips about leaving them plugged in while you heat the car to only use the seat warmers to heat pumps are the savior. They take longer to charge etc

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You probably lose about half your range and it takes longer to recharge.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    For the price of a battery pack in some of the EV's you could buy a hand built crate engine, and have it installed and optimized to provide a punch in the gut that you will remember. Tesla "Plaid" mode only works at 95% battery charge or greater. A crate engine will run all day long, leaving lasting black scores on pavement wherever you travel. a lot of "smiles per mile"
    At any whim the government can turn off your EV, due to the mandatory internet connection. A '65 Shelby GT never has to worry about that.
    Hmmmm. You would almost believe that we are being manipulated... Naw probably just my imagination.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    At any whim the government can turn off your EV, due to the mandatory internet connection. A '65 Shelby GT never has to worry about that.
    This one's the deal-killer for me. I can imagine living in the city where an electric car would be practical and enjoyable. I can't imagine ever accepting a car that can be removed from my control so easily. That goes not just for remote disabling but also for on-board systems that will deny the driver the ability to control the vehicle as he sees fit.

I recently saw an Active Self Protection segment where someone opened fire on a man in a new (electric?) truck. The truck driver immediately did the right thing by flooring it and trying to drive away across a lawn. (Stopped traffic in front of him blocked his way forward.) The truck, however, had different ideas. He might have been about to hit the car in front of him or jump a curb so the on-board computers simply shut the vehicle down. As soon as I saw that I was "No f'ing way I will ever have a car that thinks it knows better than me and has the power to enforce it's will."

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    This one's the deal-killer for me. I can imagine living in the city where an electric car would be practical and enjoyable. I can't imagine ever accepting a car that can be removed from my control so easily. That goes not just for remote disabling but also for on-board systems that will deny the driver the ability to control the vehicle as he sees fit.

I recently saw an Active Self Protection segment where someone opened fire on a man in a new (electric?) truck. The truck driver immediately did the right thing by flooring it and trying to drive away across a lawn. (Stopped traffic in front of him blocked his way forward.) The truck, however, had different ideas. He might have been about to hit the car in front of him or jump a curb so the on-board computers simply shut the vehicle down. As soon as I saw that I was "No f'ing way I will ever have a car that thinks it knows better than me and has the power to enforce it's will."
    All that and if you have a hurricane evac, There will be 100,000 vehicles that have run out of power ahead of you with 200 chargers in the area…
    One tanker truck, 1,000 ICE vehicles make it to another gas station…

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    All that and if you have a hurricane evac, There will be 100,000 vehicles that have run out of power ahead of you with 200 chargers in the area…
    One tanker truck, 1,000 ICE vehicles make it to another gas station…
    And if you run out of juice on the road, there's no AAA truck with a gallon can full of electrons to get you going.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

If I were to ever get one, it would be an extra car for local running around in addition to the ICE cars we already have. Even then, the only draw would be convenient “fill ups” at the house. With the added cost of a level 2 charger, it is still not a fast task. If using a common 120 volt wall outlet, you would need a calendar to track the time to charge.

I'm sure they work just fine for some people, and that’s good. They just won’t work for me.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    That's Norway.

It depends on weather you like using the heater and the way the car manages temp of batteries.

Depending on the source, weather its green energy worshippers or green energey haters You hear stories from it only loses 20% to they are unusable cause they drop to 50 Mile's of range.

Tips about leaving them plugged in while you heat the car to only use the seat warmers to heat pumps are the savior. They take longer to charge etc

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You probably lose about half your range and it takes longer to recharge.
    Takes more power to run the A/C than heat....

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    For the price of a battery pack in some of the EV's you could buy a hand built crate engine, and have it installed and optimized to provide a punch in the gut that you will remember. Tesla "Plaid" mode only works at 95% battery charge or greater. A crate engine will run all day long, leaving lasting black scores on pavement wherever you travel. a lot of "smiles per mile"
    Hmmmm. You would almost believe that we are being manipulated... Naw probably just my imagination.

Not imaginary…

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

I would just point out that many of the luxury and spancy gas cars are also wired to the internet. I don’t own them, but lots of my co-workers do.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I would just point out that many of the luxury and spancy gas cars are also wired to the internet. I don’t own them, but lots of my co-workers do.
    Even the not so fancy and regular cars do. My wife has a 2022 Kia Niro hybrid that is connected to the internet. Tells me how much gas is left, where it's located, and can remote start it with our phones.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...connected to the internet...can remote start it with our phones.
    I always thought that was a neat feature. It was, back when it was just a dumb radio wave connection between the car and your key fob.

Having to use the internet to talk to your car? That's just weird, IMO.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I always thought that was a neat feature. It was, back when it was just a dumb radio wave connection between the car and your key fob.

Comes in handy once in a while. This one can be remote started with the keyfob or with the phone. With the phone, you can start it from anywhere, but the keyfob you can only do it within about 100 feet or so. Came in handy during vacation, when we were in the hotel room, started the car when we left the room, and by the time we got to the car, the AC had cooled the car off so it was comfy.
    Would I pay extra for that? Hell no. It came with the trim level we wanted.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

I have a 2019 Hyundai gas vehicle and the advantages of the internet connection outweigh the disadvantages. Start or immobilize remotely, alarm goes off and notified on my smartphone, where is the car if stolen. Lock or unlock the car remotely. In an accident can get help (Onstar type feature). Most of the things I hope to never use but I frequently use the lock your car as I seem to always forget doing that and am in the middle of a store shopping. All of the new cars track you whether you like it or not.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have a 2019 Hyundai gas vehicle and the advantages of the internet connection outweigh the disadvantages. Start or immobilize remotely, alarm goes off and notified on my smartphone, where is the car if stolen. Lock or unlock the car remotely. In an accident can get help (Onstar type feature). Most of the things I hope to never use but I frequently use the lock your car as I seem to always forget doing that and am in the middle of a store shopping. All of the new cars track you whether you like it or not.
    What you see a method to control your vehicle. Nothing would prevent someone you did not want to control it as well.
    Yes, I could start and run a 1967 Chevy with a screwdriver and a jumper, but I prefer that to someone remotely controlling my transportation.
    The current systems cannot be disabled.
    I had a 2014 Infiniti Q50 that had a generation of communications that stopped working in 2016. They asked if I wanted to pay $500 to update the communication. No friggen way. Everyone should have an off switch or the ability to buy a car not being monitored.

My current car app asks if I would like to share my driving habits with an insurance company for a possible reduction in rates. Screw that.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom