Target Sports

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1. For most drivers, an EV is already enough.

For decades, various pundits have forecast sky-high gas prices that would force people into EVs. ....

Great post.....
    Like the high price of horse feed forced people to buy Henry Ford's cars, eh???

Indeed.
    No-one will be forced into EVs

The rapidly expanding and ever more obvious benefits of EVs will attract buyers like a rare earth magnets attract a horseshoe!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Yep, the market will dictate when the change occurs.......I for one, will not give up fossil fuels for the foreseeable future......

Someday EV's will be less expensive to own and operate than a fossil fuel vehicle.....

A lot of Countries will find themselves looking for income from another source.....

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Keep in mind that it's not all wind and solar. We moved less than a year ago from the PNW and much of our electricity came from hydro sources. And it was nice and cheap, too. We were paying .07/kWh last time I checked, although there was a hike or two since then.

Precious little hydro in Texas.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Great post.....
    Like the high price of horse feed forced people to buy Henry Ford's cars, eh???

Indeed.
    No-one will be forced into EVs

The rapidly expanding and ever more obvious benefits of EVs will attract buyers like a rare earth magnets attract a horseshoe!

4-foot piles of horse shit lining the streets of big cities had a lot to do with it also.

Of course, some places let people shit in the streets for what must be nostalgic purposes LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Precious little hydro in Texas.
    This is true. Lack of planning on someone's part...

There's some sun in places here, though, I hear. Tesla has another product, the PowerWall, which can be used with solar installations to store the energy. Why not build a solar station next to your house and collect free sun power during the day and use it to charge your Model S at night? It could also be connected to your home to stand by in a power outage.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Which is my point. Electric cars are not free from fire risk.

Reality of physics.
    Cram an enormous amount of energy into a small space and some rule or law of thermodynamics is going to want it to get out.

Entropy or enthalpy or some such long-filed-away concept that I needed to know for the briefest of moments to get through a college physics exam.

Today' application of freshman HS algebra:

Since I started this thread almost 24.92 hours ago 473 fossil fuel powered vehicles have caught fire in just the US. Likely a couple thousand worldwide have burned.

That's an average based on government transportation data averages.
    It highly unlikely that any electric vehicle has done so. Not even one.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Final comment/snarky commentary/quip re. electric vehicles for 7/13/2019:

RESISTANCE_max-0241-eeweb-rif-01v2.jpg

Attachments

• RESISTANCE_max-0241-eeweb-rif-01v2.jpg
      RESISTANCE_max-0241-eeweb-rif-01v2.jpg
      10.2 KB · Views: 414
    Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You still have a battery to replace in 5 years & it won't be cheap. I know several people that bought a Prius. When the battery died it was 5k for the battery + labor if your not a do it yourself type. I'm not much on the whole electric cars yet. Especially when the US government & other countries gives million of dollars to Tesla in subsidies.

This all compares to Tesla reporting a $312 million profit for the third quarter. Subtract the $713 million in U.S. subsidies, and Tesla's results would be far weaker. Add in the international subsidies received from countries such as Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands and the U.K., and the situation would look even worse.

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/inv...in-product-isn-t-cars-it-s-subsidies-14769263
    My buddy Jack, retired AF Fighter pilot. Keeps detailed and very accurate log books. Bought Pirus, 5 yr 7 mo later battery goes belly up, $5,132.15 to replace. Jack calls me and says: YOU were right, would have been cheaper and saved more money if I had gone with a gas model, $5000 bucks buys a LOT of gasoline!

Over the many years I have been around when the GOVT subsidizes something it for a reason, the GOVT is trying to shove something down our throats...like an ALL ELECTRIC lifestyle. Anyone ever wonder WHY?

Maybe this: All electric lifestyle give the FEDS a tether or an umbilical cord if you will to track your every move, know what the temp of your house and fridge is, how many wash loads you do, when and where you drive you electric car, how long you stay and a plethora of knowledge about you, your family and lifestyle that would be unprecedented in human history.

BUT WAIT, it gets worse! Some faceless bureaucrat in Wash DC thinks you keep your house to cool in the summer, so he can adjust the thermostat or he just flips the switch and shuts it off!

Between Google and the Feds if you fart they will know it and what kind and time of the beans you ate!

Anyhow on 14 Aug I can go to my Fav Ford Dealer and place an order for my 2020 F 450 King Ranch, all diesel, all the time!

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    OK. Just want to point out that Ole Cowboy touched on the most important point yet. All of us, like it or not, have subsidized (PAID FOR) all this feel good technology decades before its time without one thing to say about it. Add that to your costs of operation and you might be stunned to see what feeling good and amazing acceleration has costs us all. Wind, solar, corn gas, etc., etc. all has been force fed to us by our all caring all knowing government. It is all great to think about, but if it made sense yet we would NOT be paying our tax dollars to spin it up. I think it is all cool BUT I think it should have been brought about by private enterprise not our tax dollars. I do wonder why it was so important to shove it down our ungrateful throats with such force. Global Warming?????

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Another reason I think many don't care for EVs is that the pretension of many of their advocates is too much to bear. We're seeing a classic example of it here.

When the Prius came out, it became a way to virtue signal, especially in California. Now it's become more mainstream and accepted.

The same will happen with EVs.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    This is true. Lack of planning on someone's part...

There's some sun in places here, though, I hear. Tesla has another product, the PowerWall, which can be used with solar installations to store the energy. Why not build a solar station next to your house and collect free sun power during the day and use it to charge your Model S at night? It could also be connected to your home to stand by in a power outage.

Umm, more like lack of appropriate resources.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Reality of physics.
    Cram an enormous amount of energy into a small space and some rule or law of thermodynamics is going to want it to get out.

Entropy or enthalpy or some such long-filed-away concept that I needed to know for the briefest of moments to get through a college physics exam.

Today' application of freshman HS algebra:

Since I started this thread almost 24.92 hours ago 473 fossil fuel powered vehicles have caught fire in just the US. Likely a couple thousand worldwide have burned.

That's an average based on government transportation data averages.
    It highly unlikely that any electric vehicle has done so. Not even one.
    Get factual data in fires per mile driven. Then I will pay attention.

Top Bottom