APOD Firearms

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Not to mention the funds to add all those chargers at each distribution center. Plus possibly adding additional transformers for all that extra power.
    Charging let's say 100 trucks all charging at 30 amps is a shit-ton of power.
    How many of these distribution centers can our power grid handle?
    Hurley's Gold

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    Any updates on how the EVs are doing in the heat? I'd expect a significant drop in range as the temperatures climb.
    Ran across this article today. Just FYI, it is on the innerwebs so read at your own risk.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    They are here to stay unfortunately. Big problems, charging is only a minor problem with an electric car. Dealers can't repair a regular car, wait til the electric car has problems. Just wait. At 78 years of age, I won't ever own one but my kids and grand kids are probably screwed.

Tarosean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    They should have never stopped putting these windows in cars. I never had a car with AC until I moved to Houston in 78, never had one without it since.
    While I moved here in the early 90's . After a bout a week commuting I had to go buy a car with AC.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    While I moved here in the early 90's . After a bout a week commuting I had to go buy a car with AC.
    ~1985 I was driving an old Pontiac with no AC. I liked the 400-inch small block. I didn't like the heat.

On at least one occasion, the people I met as a part of my job took one look at that car and told me that my employer should pay me more.

I appreciated their pity, I guess, but I was sweating too much to think on it at the time.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1690223057247.png

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Unfortunately, EVs and alternative fuel vehicles are not merely passing trends; they are here to stay. Like many of you, I am a diesel guy myself, but the writing is "on-the-wall" IMO. As a Transportation Engineer licensed in Texas, I can tell you that our industry is trying to catch up with "other" states that are a "few miles ahead" of us. We need to be ready because the transition will be fast, and to ensure future prosperity for Texas and avoid transportation issues over the next decade, we must adapt and evolve alongside this modern transportation era.

Hate it all you want, but look at history; when the "automobile" emerged as a revolutionary invention, requiring the development of roads and fueling stations, etc., similar to the railroads, there were advocates and opponents (like today) of this new mode of transportation. The towns that embraced automobiles thrived, while those solely reliant on railroads and horseback faced decline and became ghost towns.

Today, we find ourselves on the heels of another transportation revolution with the rise of electric and alternative fuel vehicles (EVs, ROVs, etc.). As in the past, there are both supporters and opponents just like we see in our posts. Texas is at a critical crossroads - we must decide whether to embrace progress by investing in charging stations, newer technology, improving our roads, and adapting to these changing times, or risk becoming obsolete and facing the same fate as those forgotten ghost towns.

Maybe I have been indoctrinated at work over the past year but to me the choice is clear - either WE embrace the inevitable future or have our children face the unfortunate consequences of decline long after WE are gone.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Unfortunately, EVs and alternative fuel vehicles are not merely passing trends; they are here to stay. Like many of you, I am a diesel guy myself, but the writing is "on-the-wall" IMO. As a Transportation Engineer licensed in Texas, I can tell you that our industry is trying to catch up with "other" states that are a "few miles ahead" of us. We need to be ready because the transition will be fast, and to ensure future prosperity for Texas and avoid transportation issues over the next decade, we must adapt and evolve alongside this modern transportation era.

Hate it all you want, but look at history; when the "automobile" emerged as a revolutionary invention, requiring the development of roads and fueling stations, etc., similar to the railroads, there were advocates and opponents (like today) of this new mode of transportation. The towns that embraced automobiles thrived, while those solely reliant on railroads and horseback faced decline and became ghost towns.

Today, we find ourselves on the heels of another transportation revolution with the rise of electric and alternative fuel vehicles (EVs, ROVs, etc.). As in the past, there are both supporters and opponents just like we see in our posts. Texas is at a critical crossroads - we must decide whether to embrace progress by investing in charging stations, newer technology, improving our roads, and adapting to these changing times, or risk becoming obsolete and facing the same fate as those forgotten ghost towns.

Maybe I have been indoctrinated at work over the past year but to me the choice is clear - either WE embrace the inevitable future or have our children face the unfortunate consequences of decline long after WE are gone.

I agree that EV's are the future. Problem is, we're a long way from the future. Until they figure out a better way to store electrons (current battery technology is laughable) it's just a pipe dream.
    And what about the grid that can't handle 5% of the cars being EV?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I agree that EV's are the future. Problem is, we're a long way from the future. Until they figure out a better way to store electrons (current battery technology is laughable) it's just a pipe dream.
    And what about the grid that can't handle 5% of the cars being EV?
    Didn't you hear? We have recovered alien UFOs. New batteries are coming as soon as we figure out how they work.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    What nobody talks about is the usable range. Full cycle charging actually degrades the battery life of the costly battery, and fast charging is discouraged unless traveling. To preserve the battery, it is recommended to not let the battery get below 20% and to charge to no more than 80%. So, 60% of a 300 mile rating is effectively only 180 usable miles. The guys who perrot that they plug in at night and awake to a “full tank” are cutting into the longevity of the battery.

I agree that its not a good argument to say that ICE cars effective range is tank size full to empty, but it is a reasonable argument to say an ICE range is 100% full to 10% or whatever the point the fuel light comes on. I don’t know too many people who take the time to fill up their ICE tank at a little less than 1/4 tank but stop at 3/4 tank.

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    What nobody talks about is the usable range. Full cycle charging actually degrades the battery life of the costly battery, and fast charging is discouraged unless traveling. To preserve the battery, it is recommended to not let the battery get below 20% and to charge to no more than 80%. So, 60% of a 300 mile rating is effectively only 180 usable miles. The guys who perrot that they plug in at night and awake to a “full tank” are cutting into the longevity of the battery.

I agree that its not a good argument to say that ICE cars effective range is tank size full to empty, but it is a reasonable argument to say an ICE range is 100% full to 10% or whatever the point the fuel light comes on. I don’t know too many people who take the time to fill up their ICE tank at a little less than 1/4 tank but stop at 3/4 tank.

Correct. Now from that 60% of stated range deduct for ambient temperature extremes (hot or cold), use of climate control, wind, and elevation changes. A 320 mile trip for me to visit my daughter would require me to recharge 4 times in a Tesla 3 when taking into account all of those factors.

They cracked down on stated mpg and hp of ICE engines because automakers gaming the system. They have yet to do anything with EVs because it does not fit the narrative to get everyone to embrace EVs.

When to talk grid capacity to EV fanboys, all they think is just generate more power withwind or solar. They don't think about distribution which is another shortfall.

Last edited:

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    Correct. Now from that 60% of stated range deduct for ambient temperature extremes (hot or cold), use of climate control, wind, and elevation changes. A 320 mile trip for me to visit my daughter would require me to recharge 4 times in a Tesla 3 when taking into account all of those factors.

They cracked down on stated mpg and hp of ICE engines because automakers gaming the system. They have yet to do anything with EVs because it does not fit the nrrative to get everyone to embrace EVs.

When to talk grid capacity to EV fanboys, all they think is just generate more power withwind or solar. They don't think about distribution which is another shortfall.

No it won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom