Hurley's Gold

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Tesla is the only automaker making EV’s at a profit. And it took a looong time for them to turn a profit, mostly by reinventing the production process.

Every other carmaker loses cubic dollars selling them…to the tune of tens of thousands per vehicle.
    Military Camp

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    Tesla is the only automaker making EV’s at a profit. And it took a looong time for them to turn a profit, mostly by reinventing the production process.

Every other carmaker loses cubic dollars selling them…to the tune of tens of thousands per vehicle.
    How much are the car makers getting from the government in subsidies? When I was working on the battery and inverter systems 10 years ago, they were getting millions from the government in grants and subsidies.

Anyone remember CODA? We supplied their first 400 power inverters and didn't get paid until we sued because they took their handout from the government and gave their execs huge bonuses.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How much are the car makers getting from the government in subsidies? When I was working on the battery and inverter systems 10 years ago, they were getting millions from the government in grants and subsidies.

Anyone remember CODA? We supplied their first 400 power inverters and didn't get paid until we sued because they took their handout from the government and gave their execs huge bonuses.

I dunno for sure, but i think the only subsidy carmakers get is related to batteries. But there’s probably more that i’m not aware of.

Plus the negative incentives for ICE production by setting unrealistic fuel efficiency and emission regs.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I dunno for sure, but i think the only subsidy carmakers get is related to batteries. But there’s probably more that i’m not aware of.

Plus the negative incentives for ICE production by setting unrealistic fuel efficiency and emission regs.
    the set them so highto force the manufacturers into submitting to government mandates

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    This^^^ I commented earlier that we have a Tesla, a Shelby Mustang, and a F150 Hybrid. The Tesla is here to stay, as is the F150
    Two issues on these:
    - It's expensive to ensure a Tesla. I'm renewing tomorrow after shopping hard for a month. Tesla is $1300/year. The F150 is $900/year.
    - F150 has been in the shop for 2 months now, trying to get the OTA updates to work. This is a problem mostly with the first 2021 models.

Fortunately I have a nice 2023 F150 loaner with the base 2.7 Ecoboost. I actually like it better than my Hybrid - and it gets better fuel economy.

That said, when Ford comes with a Bronco Sport in EV or hybrid, the Mustang will be replaced.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    If they would just build cars instead of 4 wheeled computers, OTA updates would not be needed. I’m still trying to understand what needs “updating” and why so often that makes OTA needed. Is this their way of saying the buying public are the beta testers?
    Like it or not it’s happening. The upside is you get some nice added features without buying a new vehicle. It works fine on the Teslas. My wife loves it when a new update drops Ford‘s system still has teething problems.

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    Like it or not it’s happening. The upside is you get some nice added features without buying a new vehicle. It works fine on the Teslas. My wife loves it when a new update drops Ford‘s system still has teething problems.
    And some of the "added features" will have a monthly subscription to be enabled. You paid for the hardware when you bought the vehicle, now you have a monthly fee to 'flip the bit' so you can use it.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Problem is, we're a long way from the future.

10-years tops...
    When the 2010 Nissan Leaf first came out, it only had a 100-mile range.

Now in 2023, the EV range average is around 230 miles.
    That's 230% in only 13 years; imagine the tech in another 10...

The Bolt today boasts 259 miles per charge, and the luxury Lucid Air has a 516-mile range.
    Face it, 10 years is a blink of an eye when it comes to infrastructure. If we need it and don't have it; we have a big problem.

And what about the grid that can't handle 5% of the cars being EV?

Us engineering (consultants) are working on it. State/federally funded of course.
    Some of the design concepts are wild and innovative, but as I said; "DO NOTHING", is a bad option.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    10-years tops...

The Bolt today boasts 259 miles per charge, and the luxury Lucid Air has a 516-mile range.
    Face it, 10 years is a blink of an eye when it comes to infrastructure. If we need it and don't have it; we have a big problem.

Us engineering (consultants) are working on it. State/federally funded of course.
    Some of the design concepts are wild and innovative, but as I said; "DO NOTHING", is a bad option.
    The only people saying we need it are the politicians who are making money from forcing the change on everyone.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    10-years tops...

That not because the tech has made great leaps. It's because the leaf battery was just 24kwh. The bolt has a 65kwh battery.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    That not because the tech has made great leaps. It's because the leaf battery was just 24kwh. The bolt has a 65kwh battery.
    Yes, upgrading to a 24-64kWh battery was part of it...

However, I strongly disagree with your statement that tech companies have not made significant leaps. As someone working in the Civil/Transportation sector and closely engaging with these developments, I can attest to the remarkable progress being achieved each day.

I understand that not everyone may like this, but I urge you all to recognize the consequences if we don't prepare. Infrastructure development and project letting for these improvements will start in 2024. Bigger cities like El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas/FW will see these changes first, some will not... Unfortunately, these will be also the locations (especially those with the most naysayers) that will be left behind.

Don't forget, I personally prefer diesel, and I am as conservative as you are, but the change is coming fast.
    The new "Apple Stock" is ROV and automation... keep that in mind too.

Top Bottom