• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    any ideas on a rough cost to upgrade from a 100 to 200 amp panel in the Burnet area ?

any recommended contractors
    Capitol Armory ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Can't help on the cost, but it's not that hard to do. Just takes time, and pulling the meter, and the parts.

Not a bad idea to inform the electric service provider (oncor, etc) that you're stepping up. Doesn't guarantee they will do anything, but if you add capacity to an already maxed out line, voltage can drop and electric computer board stuff can stop working.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    thanks

Can't help on the cost, but it's not that hard to do. Just takes time, and pulling the meter, and the parts.

Not a bad idea to inform the electric service provider (oncor, etc) that you're stepping up. Doesn't guarantee they will do anything, but if you add capacity to an already maxed out line, voltage can drop and electric computer board stuff can stop working.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Just a reference check for you. Last remodel I did for client, who went from 100A to 200A as part of other work done, the cost for the upgrade ran about $2400, which included permitting and a 200 amp 20/40 Square D Homeline load center.

Depending upon where the current service panel is located, that could be higher or lower.

This was about two years ago, in Houston (Bunker Hill Village).

Regardless, do yourself a favor and have it done by a licensed electrician. Worth the cost in peace of mind, insurance, and future disclosure notices for resale where evidence of a permit and inspected work by a licensed electrician could save you a ton of heartache.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    50-60 years ago, 100 amp was more than enough for 90% of homes. They had one tv, one stero/radio, a fridge, a freeze (maybe), a washer and dryer, and a few lights.

Today they have multiple TVs, all sorts of lighting indoor and out, multiple computers, electric cook tops, microwaves, convection ovens, multiple electric ovens, car chargers for the Tesla, Computer network stuff, wi-fi, video games, and all the stuff from 50-60 years ago.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    i really want to just add a second panel in my garage to run am air compressor and a few other tools. The main breaker box is full well it may have 1 or 2 blank circuits. and my garage has only one I think its 20 amp breaker that goes to it.

House was built in the 70's the current box is 90 amps and is located separate from the meter. With central air and heat multiple tv's and audio vid equipment multiple computers a large aquarium with an ac unit heating and hot bright ass lights multiple pumps and dodads I know I am pushing the limits. I would also like to go to a tankles water heater because my current tank water heater is behind my fridge and limits me to a counter depth fridge :< If I got rid of that it gives me 20-30 more inches to move the fridge back and get a real one lol.

I called the electric provider and they said most of there meters are set up for 200 amps but I need to talk to an electrician to make sure LOL they don't know what is going to my house.

Ya I have no plans to even consider doing the task myself. I am just working out a few ideas on the best way to get my shop powered up and that may end up as a new structure in the back yard :).

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Having built four custom homes with tankless, on demand water heaters, and upgrading a few more, I can tell you that you're on the right track with upgrading your home to a 200A service; and especially if your proposed garage sub-panel is going to require a sufficient sized branch circuit off the main panel to power tools in your garage shop ... a sub-panel in a garage/shop quickly becomes a slippery slope with tool additions. ;)

You're also on the right track, as the usual method of wiring a serious garage shop in a home is by adding a sub-panel. I've wired three shops of my own, including my current "retired shop" (link above) with 60A sub-panels, but all in places with 200A services.

Depending upon your tool requirements ( 120v/240v), that is usually done by adding a 240v/60A or 80A circuit breaker in the main panel and running a 6 AWG or 4AWG wire to feed the sub-panel.

Be aware, that while adding a sub-panel is doable by the homeowner with electrical knowledge, there are conflicting options on how to properly ground a sub-panel that only a qualified electrician can tackle based on the existing wiring and location. And, you might get a break on the usual cost by including a sub-panel in the bid for the service upgrade. Won't hurt to ask.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Having done this in 2 homes, the first time I did it for a straight 100 am panel to 200 amp was $800 parts/labor.

I did it on my current home a few years ago and IIRC it was bid at $1200 parts and labor, my total bill was about $5.5k as I rewired most of the house and ran electric out to my barn and put a 50 amp circuit in my shop.

Top Bottom