• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    We're headed to 8000' elevation soon.
    Starting at 1200'.
    Ram 1500 5.7 hemi 2015 model.
    Towing a travel trailer.
    Once we get to Lubbock, all "regular" fuel will be 86 octane.

Question....
    Will a higher octane rating on the last leg of ascension be beneficial?
    I'm not well versed on the air/Fuel mix stuff.

TIA.
    Venture Surplus ad

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The opposite is true: higher elevation states sell regular with lower octane ratings. Colorado regular is 85, instead of 87 in Texas, and you'll be fine using that. Higher elevation = less air = less early detonation ("knock")

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I'm guessing the computer in your truck will take care of all that for you. It can sense altitude and check for knock and adjust accordingly. That truck is way smarter than you think.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm guessing the computer in your truck will take care of all that for you. It can sense altitude and check for knock and adjust accordingly. That truck is way smarter than you think.

You are correct. The ECM will adjust the fuel map, ignition timing to adjust for the thinner air. It won't matter what octane is in the tank.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    So (as an example), if I gas up in San Angelo w 86 proof, my ECM will make that weak crap run ok when I get back to Austin?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    First, you need to learn that octane rating has got nothing to do with power. It's a measurement of the gasoline's ability to resist engine knock. Higher octane denotes greater knock control.

Typically, the engine's computer will detect engine knock and adjust timing and the air/fuel ratio accordingly. Although this protects the engine from damage, it can substantially reduce engine performance and efficiency.

Most high-compression gas engines require use of premium gas to better resist engine knock and prevent the computer from detuning the engine to protect against knock-related damage. Using premium gas in a clean, mechanically sound engine not designed to use it, though, provides no benefit.

In

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Typically, the engine's computer will detect engine knock and adjust timing and the air/fuel ratio accordingly. Although this protects the engine from damage, it can substantially reduce engine performance and efficiency.

Most high-compression gas engines require use of premium gas to better resist engine knock and prevent the computer from detuning the engine to protect against knock-related damage. Using premium gas in a clean, mechanically sound engine not designed to use it, though, provides no benefit.

In

This is what I was talking about.

Down on power.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Right. So the lower rated octane will make no difference at higher altitude, and for the 50 miles of driving around lower altitude one gets out of half a RAM 1500 tank, it will cope. ;)
    Yes, it will cope, but be "down on power" for the reasons you stated above .

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    If his 5.7 Hemi is anything like the one I used to drive, using more gas would have you walking after 500 yards. It was fast, it could pass anything but a gas station. 11mpg and a 20 gallon tank. That put me stopping for gas twice on my way to Oklahoma.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Is that because it's down on power and requires more throttle to move like you're used to?

:green:

It's because the fuel/air mixture it expects is different than the one it gets and the timing is out of whack. Higher octane gas is not "richer in energy".

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's because the fuel/air mixture it expects is different than the one it gets and the timing is out of whack. Higher octane gas is not "richer in energy".

Never said, or implied this.

As you already stated, power is down due to retarded timing as the octane is lower .

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    If his 5.7 Hemi is anything like the one I used to drive, using more gas would have you walking after 500 yards. It was fast, it could pass anything but a gas station. 11mpg and a 20 gallon tank. That put me stopping for gas twice on my way to Oklahoma.

Measured in gallons per mile?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    High octane is a slower burning fuel. Lower octane is faster burning. In performance applications. You want an explosion at the very beginning of the valve timing. With it burning slower to cover an amount of time.

Lower octane treated the same way causes a different explosion. Faster. You can use it for advantage when you need the pop to happen later in the timing. Earlier in timing and it'll cause knocking.

My camaro is programmed for 93. It'll run like $hit on 87. Unless I refresh the computer to time for 87. Then no problems besides lower horsepower. The camaro is specific for octane.

The dodge is too. 87. Only that. High altitude means thinner air mixed with the same fuel. It causes a softer explosion. It might feel a little sluggish.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom