Join TexasGunTalk

Ellis County?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gdr_11, Jun 11, 2018.

1. gdr_11

gdr_11 Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I have been in East Texas just outside Tyler for about two years now and the wife and I are not sure we want to spend our golden years here. Smith County is beautiful and the people are great but East Texas is short on a lot of big city amenities because there are no big cities here. The two hour drive to the Metroplex for variety in dining and shopping is getting a bit old and we have gone through the three health care organizations in Tyler with less than satisfactory experiences.

I am looking for an area that would put us about 30-40 minutes outside of Dallas that is not in the process of being paved over to make room for new houses on 5,000 sale ft lots. I see Ellis County or the outskirts of Waxahachie as a possibility since it seems to meet most of our criteria.

Will be looking for a smaller lot to make my life easier but would still like .75 to 1.5 acres and preferably outside any city limits.

Any thoughts on this area or other similar areas that are not going through explosive growth?

2. JCC

JCC New Member

May 1, 2018
    US
    Ellis County seems nice and I would think it would be a while before it gets built up like other parts of the DFW metromess. We have considered moving out that way from Dallas County. Were looking at Kauffman County, but that might be too close. Hunt County looks nice also.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. busykngt

busykngt Well-Known

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Tough question.

How long before you can freeze property taxes?

4. Willy

Willy Well-Known

Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    You can buy my house in a couple of years, but the area is growing fast. I live between Red Oak and Waxahachie. 4/2/2 + 2 car carport on fenced .92 acres in a 1 entrance neighborhood. No city taxes. Most neighbors get on the Nextdoor app to talk about crime, wild animals, and suspicious vehicles.

Maypearl is about 45 minutes from downtown Dallas and isn’t growing nearly as fast. It’s 10-15 minutes from Waxahachie and Midlothian.

5. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Be careful, Ellis county is considered part of the Metromess and so is Kaufman.

6. orbitup

orbitup Sticker Cop TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    South of Dallas
    I live in the Red Oak/Ovilla area and have been looking in Maypearl. It's beautiful there. I would like it even if the range I belonged to wasn't located there.

7. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    We live just north of Kaufman. We're that 20-30 minutes from the mess.

8. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    You didn't mention budget. All sorts of housing popping up south of Midlothian West of Waxahachie, East (and West) of Maypearl. It's still kinda country, but you can find 1-2 acre, or smaller lot sizes outside the city limits. Just keep in mind annexation is just down the road if you look at it long term.

They've almost hit Oklahoma going North, so now things are starting to head South (and I hate it).

9. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Several additions on Hwy 66 West of Waxahachie. Some with a couple acres.

10. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Look at S of Ft Worth Meridian; just below Cleburne, Walnut springs, Whitney, Granbury. Cheap (for now) and fast into Ft Worth, in fact they have opened the SH 121/Chisholm Trail Parkway which will take you well into Ft Worth and connections to as far N as Grapevine which is the N entrance into DFW airport.

The above places will put you less than 40 mi from DFW, still cheap, VERY rural, low cost of living.

TX OMFS likes this.