• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    That money will buy a nice house on a couple of acres around here.

I agree; I did a search on Realtor.com and found a lot of homes within 20 miles of Waxahachie for $250K and below, many with small acreage. New homes are another story, but from what I have seen today's builders throwing up, there is no way that the quality is worth the $150 - $200 sq/ft they are trying to get.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Wow! Prices must have really gone up. We paid $108 sq/ft four years ago. House and 2.5 acres. House was 8 years old when we bought it. 2x6 construction, thermal barrier, all the bells and whistles.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Unless it’s further south of Waxahachie, such as in Maypearl or Milford, I would look elsewhere and probably not even consider Ellis County. As someone else said, the northern counties, such as Collin County, are already saturated with urban sprawl and the expense that goes with it. Homebuyers and residential builders have already invaded Waxahachie and Midlothian. Ellis County is no longer an unheard of rural enclave and is experiencing tremendous growth at the moment. If the North Texas economy continues to boom, I give it about 10 years, 15-20 max, before it turns into another Collin County-like suburban mess, with all its traffic and very high property taxes.

I would look at Van Zandt, Navarro, Hill, Henderson, Jack, Hood and Hunt Counties for what you’re looking for. Maybe Wise County (Bridgeport, for example). Unfortunately, they’re about an hour away from major hospitals, but should have better property taxes and take much longer for the metroplex’s urban sprawl and traffic to catch up to them.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Just saw on the news a couple nights ago that Dallas county already has several initiatives they’re working to beef up the infrastructure and “modernize” the southern part of the county. They recognize that area has been neglected and they’re setting about to correct it by dumping lots of money and encouraging new construction. I would think for Ellis County, ten years is a pretty generous amount of time before housing and property taxes go crazy!

Maybe the OP could just cut his distance in half by moving to Emory!

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Worries me when an entity wants to "modernize" an area. Means they want to take over and charge more taxes!

That’s the way I see it too. Fresh new infrastructure, new business buildings, new housing developments; all of which mean the native inhabitants of those localized areas can no longer afford to live there. Either the city manager guy or one of the city council members was asked to “grade” their effort in the last year and he replied, “a B or B+”; said they had much more to do. What they really accomplished was displacement of the poor folk by those who will pay more taxes.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Worries me when an entity wants to "modernize" an area. Means they want to take over and charge more taxes!

If the area is small enough, I think that's true. Mostly just a rural type setting place though on the outskirts.

When the bigger cities focus on infrastructure, they mean build roads and utilities that will double or triple the resulting prices of new homes being built due to the demand and reap the tax rewards with the long game in mind.

Top Bottom