• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I am not sure if this has been linked here or not.

https://www.empshield.com/?matchtype=e&network=g&device=m&adposition&keyword=emp shield&utm_term=emp shield&utm_campaign=Search | Branded&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=5309225077&hsa_cam=1903118787&hsa_grp=72199349922&hsa_ad=349057396066&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-298537951398&hsa_kw=emp shield&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQf9WCQBbabxwIs9u9ku7Ocb32zz35eQ8r4sOOQDdRfis7SdU-WqbssaAuNpEALw_wcB

I have one installed on my wife's suburban. Being stranded due to an EMP is a big concern on my list bad shit that "could" happen.

They have units for houses, cars, generators and other things.

I am not connected or affiliated but do have a couple coupon codes if anybody is looking.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

How does the vehicle one work? The website just talks about protection in the electrical system and from the grid. A solar flare would effect the grid, but nuke blast and EMP signal will also bypass the grid and fry things directly.

The residential model on the website appears to just by your standard, whole house surge protector.

Is it effective against a power surge at home?

It appears to me that's all it is. You can buy a whole house surge protector for around $100 - $200. Seems they just added the letters EMP and doulbed the price.
    Venture Surplus ad

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I am no electron master. The unit does some magic where it grounds the circuit momentarily during a pulse. I read the patent info when I was looking into it. I could not fully grasp the concept more then my 12v auto brain allowed.

The particular company I linked was in a doccument from .gov where they are listed as making a product that hardened from EMP.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2n7jLtJAUJtOJKHPMqWsTE

Again, I don't want to shill but this is a real issue people should look into. This particular company is working with the state of Texas on hardening the larger grid from an EMP.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    I am an electrical guy... I have never studied it, but I believe EMPs work through magnetic fields (as the name implies)... like inductors or generators. The field can induce electrical current in electronics, causing damage... size of current generated is a function of the strength of the field, and the relative directional alignment between the field and the thing the field is working on.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Solar storms IME also cause an issue not just with magnetism, but with particles. X-rays, alpha/beta/gamma radiation, etc - all bad for microelectronics especially.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    I am not sure if this has been linked here or not.

https://www.empshield.com/?matchtype=e&network=g&device=m&adposition&keyword=emp shield&utm_term=emp shield&utm_campaign=Search | Branded&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=5309225077&hsa_cam=1903118787&hsa_grp=72199349922&hsa_ad=349057396066&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-298537951398&hsa_kw=emp shield&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQf9WCQBbabxwIs9u9ku7Ocb32zz35eQ8r4sOOQDdRfis7SdU-WqbssaAuNpEALw_wcB

I have one installed on my wife's suburban. Being stranded due to an EMP is a big concern on my list bad shit that "could" happen.

They have units for houses, cars, generators and other things.

I am not connected or affiliated but do have a couple coupon codes if anybody is looking.

My stepmom's car got stolen in FL over the weekend. They didn't even take it out of the county. They just drove it around a bit and smashed it up.

I can't imagine having like the only working car around after an EMP. It's not like you could hide it. That would be some serious WROL stuff and the car would be a huge target. I hope it's also bulletproof and there's a deer catcher on the front so she can run people over.

I'm mostly joking.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    My stepmom's car got stolen in FL over the weekend. They didn't even take it out of the county. They just drove it around a bit and smashed it up.

I can't imagine having like the only working car around after an EMP. It's not like you could hide it. That would be some serious WROL stuff and the car would be a huge target. I hope it's also bulletproof and there's a deer catcher on the front so she can run people over.

I'm mostly joking.
    100% agree. I would like to imagine that after a EMP or CME type of event that a person would have an hour or two at the start to get where you are going. After the first day cycle (the morning after) you had better be ready to hunker down for a month or so. For the $250 I spent on the device it seems like a small bit of insurance for a very real possibility.

Adding it to my general paranoia load out seems rational to me. I can justify always having a handgun within arms reach and having a rifle nearby. I justify keeping a soft armor plate in my backpack and a hard plate carrier ready. My worst case fear would be being separated from my wife and kids with no chance of being able to rally. If I can spend a couple bucks to help increase the chances of that happening, count me in.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I didn't read all 133 pages of your link, but based on what I read from their website, and the link you provided, they are still a surge protector, which falls under either cat 1 or 2 protection in the EMP chart where days hour hours of downtime (waiting on repairs to, or replacements of damaged parts) is acceptable.

But you have to keep in mind that the military doctrine is written based on them having spare parts in stock and the repair personell on hand to fix the damaged items in the several hours or days that it takes to get the level 1 or level 2 stuff back up and running.

That could mean unless you have a spare PCM standing by for your car, it will be just as dead as the rest of the cars out there and you'll be waiting on the kid at Autozoo for his computer to come back up so he can ask you if it's 2wd or 4wd and trim level when he tries to find you a replacement.

The document you linked requires shielding for level 3 and 4 protection.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Granted, I'm not an expert on EMP, ( though, I did stay at Holiday Inn a few times!) but from what I have read in the past and best I understand how it works, the less technology a vehicle has, the easier it is to protect from an EMP blast. So IF that is true, a vehicle from the 1960's with a very simple electrical and ignition system, will be much easier to protect than many of the newer vehicles with much more complicated and computerized electrical and ignitions systems.

And if that's true, some of the older mechanical diesel engines in vehicles would even less prone to damage from an EMP blast I would venture a guess on as well.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    You're correct. It seems like the started putting computers in cars around 1984 if I remember correctly. So something from the 70's with a carbeurator or earlier might take some damage, but it would be minimal if any. DI diesels should work too.

Especially if you get a stick shift where you can just pop the clutch.

Anything with EFI, ECU, TCM, PCM, etc. will be toast.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You're correct. It seems like the started putting computers in cars around 1984 if I remember correctly. So something from the 70's with a carbeurator or earlier might take some damage, but it would be minimal if any. DI diesels should work too.

Especially if you get a stick shift where you can just pop the clutch.

Anything with EFI, ECU, TCM, PCM, etc. will be toast.

Actually some vehicles started with crude computers in the late 1970's about 1977 or 1978 or so. More and more started using them by the early 1980's.

And some of those older diesels with an air starter would be almost perfect as long as you had a decent air supply for the starter. Believe it or not, lots of oilfield stationary equipment is still using air starters on them. That way they don't have to worry about batteries getting stolen. Hook up a truck with an air hose and start them up.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I am no electron master. The unit does some magic where it grounds the circuit momentarily during a pulse.
    It's a very simple, basic component used in basically every surge protector known to man. A MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) decreases resistance dramatically in response to an increase in voltage, and does so basically instantaneously. Properly sized, the MOV will shunt to ground any induced voltage above your operating voltage. Lightning strike, EMP, etc. The biggest problem, is most MOVs are sized for very small transient spikes and not sustained overvoltage situations. In a nuclear EMP, the duration of the induced voltage can be a couple minutes, and that MOV will quickly overheat and fail open, and when that happens the induced voltage is delivered to your "protected" equipment. A design that some better surge protectors use is to constantly monitor the voltage drop across the MOV, and disconnect from the mains whenever the surge duration exceeds a couple milliseconds. "Double conversion" backup power supplies fully isolate your main power source from your protected equipment. Main power charges batteries, batteries supply power to an inverter, which supplies power to your equipment. Any spikes and induced voltage on the main can (in theory) only harm the battery charger.

Garyd903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2020
    Naples Tx.
    Does your generator have any electronics (e.g diodes) or inverter logic?
    My generator does have electric components that would be effected by an emp. I have built a well / generator house that is 2 separate compartments with the generator side will open up for ventilation when running the generator. It is insulated with foil backed insulation. To act as a faraday cage. I plan to use a copper mesh cloth next to insure it will work as a farada

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    EMP is like wide band high power radar - creates a high intensity radio wave field that induced eddy currents in any metal. Can flip state of memory devices or blow out transistors/ICs. Worked with a guy building one for DOD testing. Nuclear blast will create EMP too. So does the northern lights! If you are in the path of the EMP you and your stuff might not work anymore. Think super strong MRI?

Top Bottom