• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Waiting to see when women have to register for the draft at 18. In general women in the military have not had much risk to their lives. Work 20 and retire in the old days. Maybe more risk now.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Waiting to see when women have to register for the draft at 18. In general women in the military have not had much risk to their lives. Work 20 and retire in the old days. Maybe more risk now.

All military occupational specialties are open to women currently. Have been since 2015. If they can qualify, they can take the same risks. From what I understand, qualification standards have not been lowered to "accomodate" women for combat roles (though general physical standards are lowered for women in general, they'll still have to compete on an even playing field with men for specific jobs).

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    All military occupational specialties are open to women currently. Have been since 2015. If they can qualify, they can take the same risks. From what I understand, qualification standards have not been lowered to "accomodate" women for combat roles (though general physical standards are lowered for women in general, they'll still have to compete on an even playing field with men for specific jobs).
    Are you saying that women have the choice of job specialty? How about men? Can men elect non combat jobs? If women can choose a desk job with no physical risk and 20 year retirement that’s pretty cushy. Beats WalMart.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Um...yeah...they always have been "able" to take whatever assignment they're given, and apply for the ones they want. There are plenty of men filing documents, filling teeth, and working on engines in the military.
    When I was active duty men were put wherever needed and that could mean combat. Closest women got to combat was if they were nurses. Even had the program where they guaranteed training and they kept that promise and then retrained that person for whatever they needed. Many men of course never see combat (I didn’t) but that was the luck of the draw. But 20 year job with no physical risk, retirement and health care (whatever that’s worth) and you go in at 18 and retire at 38 and get a real job and double dip, not bad for a woman.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    When I was active duty men were put wherever needed and that could mean combat.

And now, women can be put wherever needed. Including combat. And if they want a specialized job with additional qualifications, they compete for a slot just like the men do. No career fields have been closed to men to 'compensate' in any way. The only difference is, now if a woman qualifies she can be in the same career field. And if she doesn't qualify, she can wash out and not be in that career field.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    And now, women can be put wherever needed. Including combat. And if they want a specialized job with additional qualifications, they compete for a slot just like the men do. No career fields have been closed to men to 'compensate' in any way. The only difference is, now if a woman qualifies she can be in the same career field. And if she doesn't qualify, she can wash out and not be in that career field.
    So what I asked was can women be placed in combat positions even if they don’t want to be in combat? Men apparently can regardless of what they want.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So what I asked was can women be placed in combat positions even if they don’t want to be in combat? Men apparently can regardless of what they want.

Yes. As I mentioned above, yes. And they can apply for and compete on an even playing field against men for specialized postions (special forces, Airborne, etc) without favoritism or lowered standards.

You keep asking the same question. I keep trying to answer clearly.

Everyone gets put where the military needs them after boot camp. For jobs with more qualifications and training, both men and women can apply and everyone must meet the same standards for those jobs without favoritism. Nothing has been taken away from men. All career fields are now open to women as long as they qualify for them.

I'm honestly not sure how I can make it clearer.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Thanks for the update. I thought women were allowed into combat positions but only if they applied for them.

My understanding is that they can be placed in infantry, artillery, etc just like men, but also just like men they have to apply for specialized or "elite" positions. As of 2015. Women still make up less than 20% of the military.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    My understanding is that they can be placed in infantry, artillery, etc just like men, but also just like men they have to apply for specialized or "elite" positions. As of 2015. Women still make up less than 20% of the military.
    Women are still barred from most combat arms professions – especially the infantry and tanks. What Congress did, here, was to allow women to serve in theater at the battalion level – which was thought to be too close to actual combat situations prior

From the internet. I don’t think women face the same risks men do. You’re a general, I was only an 05.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

The article you found appears to be in error.

From the above article:
    Currently 601 women are in the infantry career field, attending training, or in the accession pipeline. The armor career field has 568 women, including officers. Every year, though, the number of women in combat arms increases, Comiskey said.

Over the remainder of this year, the Army will integrate female armor and infantry Soldiers into the last nine BCTs that don’t have them yet, Comiskey said. Two other BCTs integrated women into their companies earlier this year, she added.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    From above...

Initially, a small number of female officers and NCOs chose to change their specialties and attend infantry or armor training, becoming the first leaders assigned to companies ahead of junior enlisted women

Still hard to see if this is the woman requesting the change or a direct order that does not look at the sex of the soldier. It still appears that most women will have a very safe 20 year job without risk beyond the normal job if they want it and the men will still be the cannon fodder. I may be wrong.
    I have a very biased view as I remember scrambling to keep my deferment in college which required 15 units a semester during the 60's while my female costudents decided to take the year off and tour Europe on daddy's expense. That's why I am still waiting for women to be required to sign up for the draft. They are the majority.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    You do realize nobody's been drafted since the 70s, right?
    Yes I realize that, 1973. So 50 years later my grandson by law must sign up but women are exempt. Is that part of the women's lib movement? Wonder how they treat boys who trans to its.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yes I realize that, 1973. So 50 years later my grandson by law must sign up but women are exempt. Is that part of the women's lib movement? Wonder how they treat boys who trans to its.

Yeah, both of my sons have signed up, too. And one of them decided to go ahead and enlist in the Marines. When I was 18 I registerd with Selective Service as well. It's frankly not that big a deal - if we ever get in such deep shit that a draft is needed, I know both of my boys would volunteer just as I would have.

Yeah, women are exempt. You're sounding awful pro-draft here. I'm not sure what you're angry about - that women are serving in combat roles or that they might not serve in combat roles. You seem to just be adopting any position that seems to counter anything I say. You asked a question earlier, I answered it (several times) and now you're trying to turn it into a debate. Frankly, it's getting kind of tiresome so I'll just wish you a good night.

As for the trans...who gives a damn? It's not like they'd be useful anyway.

Top Bottom