• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Once a concrete date/time has been locked in - you can count on me, just need to schedule a day off work.
    Hurley's Gold

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    BTW, who is introducing it this session? Or who's sponsoring it?

I'd be curious to know what state law makers are actively supporting it an if any have opposed it. It seems to be something that can be pretty complex once you scratch the surface.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    My State Senator said he always bring something to the floor for gun owners, but he's not sure what it will be this session. He's got a copy of what we have and I told him it was still being tweaked and I would get the final draft to him as soon as I get it. I also told him that if we "have to" we would accept a rider on the CHL, but really didn't want to. He's the one that brought that up.

A couple of others say that their reps may sponsor it, but they want to see what we have first. Can't blame them I suppose.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I might/might not be interested in joining you folks, its no trip for me... hell I live like a 10 min drive from the capitol building. I just want to make sure that it looks like a smooth, and well organized event.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I guess with my questions I'm trying to make a point that will help.

The push for CHL took 10 years and the 6th Legislative session, and it had strong sponsorship. Not just people banding together and trying to draft legislation on their own. In '85 it started with a proposed law and progressed from there every session until '95 when Bush signed it. It had enough exposure and clout to compell Ann Richards to speak out against it and publicly say she'd veto any CHL law that the Legislature passed.

I may be wrong, but it seems to be a n effort that needs support from the state law maker level to have a chance. Regardless of what anyone thinks is right, it takes working within the process.

I just saw a quite defensive and "spirited" 3 week old reply to me from kingmonkey in another thread. Talk about setting something up to fail...

It just seems to me like it's getting the cart before the horse to demonstrate (won't say protest) or whatever, when most law makers will be looking like deer into headlights. Without anyone on the floor, it's a near impossible battle.

If there are no state lawmakers that have this on the plate, what about others that have been instrumental on 2A issues and for example, specifically CHL in Texas, like Suzanna Gratia-Hupp. She's out of State politics but she's still in central Texas. She's the lady that watched her parents be killed in the shooting in Killeen when her handgun was out in her car where it did her no good. She went on to be elected to the Texas house and serve for 5 sessons. She is also said to be one of, if not the most compelling supporter, successfully pushing for CHL laws.

Just a thought. :patriot:

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    That's what we are asking people to do, talk to their elected reps. We already know all you have said and it is being worked on. If EVERYONE would talk to the legislators that are in their respective districts it could go a little easier. We do have a pro gun Gov. now and some legislators have expressed interest in possibly sponsoring it. The main thing is to talk to legislators. Make appointments to see them in person, send them letters. I personally have talked to my state senator and the one pro gun guy running for state rep. I have plans to talk to both of them again before the next session starts. We all have to be proactive. Don't think it is enough to let someone else do it. DO IT YOURSELF. The more we show a unified front the more they will take it seriously.

The guys at www.opencarry.org are working on this with a feverish pitch. We have a billboard just north of San Antonio, 15 cab ads in Austin, and are about to put up another billboard in Houston. We are all contributing money to this effort. Come on over and see what we are doing to get this through. If it doesn't pass this session it won't be because the guys at OCDO haven't tried. BTW, the guys at OCDO are from Virginia, they don't even have anything to gain, but they want to help Texas get back their 2A rights. They are even throwing some of their own money into the mix. All Texans need to be involved if you want to see open carry come back to Texas. All it takes is a little bit of your time and help pay for the upkeep on these billboards and signs. They ain't cheap. We want to keep them up through the session if at all possible. Everything helps, time, money (even $5- $10). Put forth the effort and you will be rewarded. Do nothing and you'll receive as much as you put into it.

Edit: Suzanna Hupp is taking a breather from all politics. I've talked with an acqauintance of hers and she's not doing any lobbying of any kind right now.

Top Bottom