Join TexasGunTalk

Encouragement For Newbies

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LittleGun, Jul 17, 2008.

1. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    This week, I've been hitting the range pretty hard. Shiloh is my adopted range now. For those who don't know, I bought my first gun two weeks ago. Before that I spent some time renting and shooting so I could select the right gun for me.

Wednesday of this week I saw some advanced tactical work by experienced shooters. I joined in but knew I was out of my league. Instead of getting discourage, I listened to the helpful information I got from everyone.

Thursday I went to the range again to practice the good form and style I had seen displayed by the advanced shooters. The Shiloh folks helped me with some personal instruction. After that, I stood there, Sig P239 in hand, and practiced for about an hour. Suddenly, it began to make sense to me. At that moment, I knew that with enough practice, I can be an advanced shooter. So don't give up, new guys and gals. You have to practice, listen to your instructors and your fellow shooters. Then practice some more. You can get it. You will get it. Just don't give up.

2. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Leeroy it was my pleasure to help coach you a bit today with your brief visit at shiloh. We really appreciate your dedication to this lifestyle and the hunger for knowledge that you bring when you stop by our little home away from home. believe it or not, i've only been shooting for a little over a year, but as you mentioned, i am all ears when it comes to instruction, as even i am constantly learning right now. Everyone will always have room for improvement, and everyone will always have advise on little changes that will help create a more accurate and quicker shot. We hope to see you again after you're all done with work next week.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good to hear you are having fun. :) I find that it has helped me in life to have the point of view that I know just enough to know that I don't know nearly enough, and that learning is pretty much a life long affair. There are some instructors out there and individuals that lose sight of this and get a bit too caught up in themselves, which can really sour things for those new to things like firearms. It sure is nice though when you find instructors and more experienced friends that realize this and just want to help you learn.

Sounds like you are getting off to an excellent start LittleGun. Being a newbie and all, you are probably going to have tons of questions. Please don't be afraid to post them as I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can give you great advice as well. I'll say this much, there are a ton of little subtleties involved in shooting handguns well.

4. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Just wanted to chime in and second all the comments here. I don't understand the shooters who think they know it all and don't need any help. I for instance am always willing to listen and learn to anyone who would be willing to give advice either through the boards or even out at the range. I've been shooting for 5 or 6 years now and still think I'm a noob. Hand me a rifle or carbine, I'm pretty decent. Now hand me a pistol and I'm totally a noob.

I'm definitely going to try to make it out to Shiloh sometime soon to check the place out. Seems like a really good group of people up there. It's just the drive that gets me, coming from Katy, plus trying to make it before closing after I get off of work.

5. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i live in the outskirts of downtown, i gotta take the worse hwy there!! (290) sounds like weak excuses to me. haha. j/k bro.

6. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS

Worst highway 290?? No way.. I-10 bud...

I-10 = Incapacitated at 10mph...

:D

7. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    I have been shooting for almost 50 years. I have shot most types of guns and still have a lot to learn. I am ready to listen to anyone who knows more than me (and there are a lot of them).

I have helped a lot of young people learn to shoot. I usually get as much or more from it than they do. It is so much fun to see them get the feel of shooting, they light up like a light.

we all started out at some time, so it isnt nice to be hard on the new kid on the block. it will only help us as a group to encourage the new people and help train them.

8. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Pass on your wisdom brotha Jim. Pass on your wisdom... Words and shooting stance...

9. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i10 isnt that bad anymore since the 610/i10 intersection by the galleria is pretty much complete and expanded. congestion has decreased IMO. 290 outbound at about 4-6 is crazy, too many "slabs" damn that rap music.

10. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    True, I just wanted to help make you feel better about the traffic on your side of town. Luckily for me, my daily commute to work is only 2mins. From inside my garage to the hospital parking lot. :D

It's getting to the ranges which take too long.