• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    This week, I've been hitting the range pretty hard. Shiloh is my adopted range now. For those who don't know, I bought my first gun two weeks ago. Before that I spent some time renting and shooting so I could select the right gun for me.

Wednesday of this week I saw some advanced tactical work by experienced shooters. I joined in but knew I was out of my league. Instead of getting discourage, I listened to the helpful information I got from everyone.

Thursday I went to the range again to practice the good form and style I had seen displayed by the advanced shooters. The Shiloh folks helped me with some personal instruction. After that, I stood there, Sig P239 in hand, and practiced for about an hour. Suddenly, it began to make sense to me. At that moment, I knew that with enough practice, I can be an advanced shooter. So don't give up, new guys and gals. You have to practice, listen to your instructors and your fellow shooters. Then practice some more. You can get it. You will get it. Just don't give up.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Leeroy it was my pleasure to help coach you a bit today with your brief visit at shiloh. We really appreciate your dedication to this lifestyle and the hunger for knowledge that you bring when you stop by our little home away from home. believe it or not, i've only been shooting for a little over a year, but as you mentioned, i am all ears when it comes to instruction, as even i am constantly learning right now. Everyone will always have room for improvement, and everyone will always have advise on little changes that will help create a more accurate and quicker shot. We hope to see you again after you're all done with work next week.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good to hear you are having fun. :) I find that it has helped me in life to have the point of view that I know just enough to know that I don't know nearly enough, and that learning is pretty much a life long affair. There are some instructors out there and individuals that lose sight of this and get a bit too caught up in themselves, which can really sour things for those new to things like firearms. It sure is nice though when you find instructors and more experienced friends that realize this and just want to help you learn.

Sounds like you are getting off to an excellent start LittleGun. Being a newbie and all, you are probably going to have tons of questions. Please don't be afraid to post them as I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can give you great advice as well. I'll say this much, there are a ton of little subtleties involved in shooting handguns well.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Just wanted to chime in and second all the comments here. I don't understand the shooters who think they know it all and don't need any help. I for instance am always willing to listen and learn to anyone who would be willing to give advice either through the boards or even out at the range. I've been shooting for 5 or 6 years now and still think I'm a noob. Hand me a rifle or carbine, I'm pretty decent. Now hand me a pistol and I'm totally a noob.

I'm definitely going to try to make it out to Shiloh sometime soon to check the place out. Seems like a really good group of people up there. It's just the drive that gets me, coming from Katy, plus trying to make it before closing after I get off of work.

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    I have been shooting for almost 50 years. I have shot most types of guns and still have a lot to learn. I am ready to listen to anyone who knows more than me (and there are a lot of them).

I have helped a lot of young people learn to shoot. I usually get as much or more from it than they do. It is so much fun to see them get the feel of shooting, they light up like a light.

we all started out at some time, so it isnt nice to be hard on the new kid on the block. it will only help us as a group to encourage the new people and help train them.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    I have been shooting for almost 50 years. I have shot most types of guns and still have a lot to learn. I am ready to listen to anyone who knows more than me (and there are a lot of them).

I have helped a lot of young people learn to shoot. I usually get as much or more from it than they do. It is so much fun to see them get the feel of shooting, they light up like a light.

we all started out at some time, so it isnt nice to be hard on the new kid on the block. it will only help us as a group to encourage the new people and help train them.

Pass on your wisdom brotha Jim. Pass on your wisdom... Words and shooting stance...

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Worst highway 290?? No way.. I-10 bud...

I-10 = Incapacitated at 10mph...

:D
    i10 isnt that bad anymore since the 610/i10 intersection by the galleria is pretty much complete and expanded. congestion has decreased IMO. 290 outbound at about 4-6 is crazy, too many "slabs" damn that rap music.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    i10 isnt that bad anymore since the 610/i10 intersection by the galleria is pretty much complete and expanded. congestion has decreased IMO. 290 outbound at about 4-6 is crazy, too many "slabs" damn that rap music.

True, I just wanted to help make you feel better about the traffic on your side of town. Luckily for me, my daily commute to work is only 2mins. From inside my garage to the hospital parking lot. :D

It's getting to the ranges which take too long.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Cyfer, it is a long haul from Katy to Shiloh. I'll make a deal with you. I'll come shoot at your range if you'll shoot at mine. One Saturday we could shoot in your side of town. Another Saturday we could shoot at Shiloh.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Cyfer, it is a long haul from Katy to Shiloh. I'll make a deal with you. I'll come shoot at your range if you'll shoot at mine. One Saturday we could shoot in your side of town. Another Saturday we could shoot at Shiloh.

That's all good man. We can definitely meet up at Shiloh a couple of times. Actually, Porter and I are thinking about heading up there sometime this week after work to check it out. Will send you a PM and let you know when.

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    Give me a call when you guys set a time to meet up and try Shiloh out. If you can make it out when we're not usually busy, maybe we can close off 1/2 the range and REALLY have some fun!
    Jeff
    281-444-8930

Daggett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    Lubbock
    Wednesday of this week I saw some advanced tactical work by experienced shooters. I joined in but knew I was out of my league. Instead of getting discourage, I listened to the helpful information I got from everyone.

Thursday I went to the range again to practice the good form and style I had seen displayed by the advanced shooters. The Shiloh folks helped me with some personal instruction. After that, I stood there, Sig P239 in hand, and practiced for about an hour. Suddenly, it began to make sense to me. At that moment, I knew that with enough practice, I can be an advanced shooter. So don't give up, new guys and gals. You have to practice, listen to your instructors and your fellow shooters. Then practice some more. You can get it. You will get it. Just don't give up.

I am glad you are having good experiences, the people who are working with you are a credit to shooters everywhere. You should really appreciate (and it's obvious you do) the help, you will occasionally run into the high and mighty types who enjoy talking down to you. Be very afraid of someone toting a gun who claims to know it all and can't be taught anything. They are generally the loudest most obnoxious types you can find. You'll come to recognize them easily, stick with the guys helping you and return the favor to the next new shooter. Try to find another new shooter or someone who wants to learn and take them with you, it sounds like you have a great group of people there. I have found that when you fall in with a good group of folks you get as much out of the comraderie as anything else. Hats off to those folks at Shiloh Range.

U235

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pflugerville
    My experience has also been that experienced shooters are extremely helpful and don't belittle newbs. I was pretty shocked and definitely welcome all the advice I get.

This is counter to just about every other activity I ever started, where the non-newbs complain and make fun of newbs. I guess it shows the respect for the firearms and one another.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I've already started sharing what I've been taught. I travel for work. Currently I am working near the Washington DC area. I found Gilbert Small Arms Range in Virginia. The last time I went to the range, two of my colleagues went with me. One of them learned basic shooting when she was a little girl, but hasn't fired a gun in 30 years. The other colleague has never fired a gun and he wanted to watch. We had a very enjoyable time. They want to go again. Next time, the other colleague says he wants to shoot instead of watch. A third colleague heard about it and says he wants to go too. I'm glad to tell them what I know, but I encouraged them to take the basics class.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am always willing to help and give advice if someone wants it. I shoot at Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart and am usually there every other weekend{work schedule is 10 on 4 off} Anyone who shoots there and have questions just ask Matt{the owner} or me{ I am pretty easy to pick out of a crowd} or just about any other experienced shooter.

People who don't shoot are the people we need to reach out to, and anything we as experienced shooters can do to make it fun and safe will win people on the fence to our side.

Top Bottom