• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Got a different link or the cliffs notes version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Says that it is not "civil asset forfeiture" it is "civil asset theft," government should not be stealing property without a conviction. Law enforcement should not be incentivized to steal property. The current system harms those who don't trust the financial system (those who don't keep money in banks) and now some banks don't want to do business with firearm manufactures those people could be target for civil asset forfeiture if they end up cash only businesses.

This is all being said the Republican Party of Texas Convention which is happening this week in San Antonio. There are those who are supporting a plank for the Republican Party to oppose "civil asset forfeiture/theft."

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    clap.gif

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Civil asset forfeiture is my biggest problem with Jeff Sessions, who supports it.

It’s one of those dealbreaker issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No matter what good might come from particular incidents of civil asset forfeiture (and yes, there are some good outcomes), their rampant abuse leads me to the conclusion that they should be entirely prohibited. Get a criminal conviction on a person, though, and that's something completely different.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    No matter what good might come from particular incidents of civil asset forfeiture (and yes, there are some good outcomes), their rampant abuse leads me to the conclusion that they should be entirely prohibited. Get a criminal conviction on a person, though, and that's something completely different.

X2

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    X3

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    SCOTUS says constitutional protection against excessive fines applies to state actions

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/timbs-v-indiana/

In a grander sense, this could be a good sign for 2A.

Unanimous ruling, even. {But you can bet any 2A case won't be.}

And this ruling puts asset-forfeiture programs in serious jeopardy. Hopefully, they will be ruled unconstitutional. Seizing assets with no conviction is wrong. Sorry if that hurts law enforcement going after drug dealers, but that is just too bad.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small of degree of it - Thomas Jefferson.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    They should have to go to a judge and get a warrant to prove drug ties to the money before they can seize a cent of it. Then they must also get a warrant to arrest them for drug possession and dealing. No arrest warrant no conviction no confiscation. My parents gave me privileges to do certain things. When I abused them they were taken away.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Been railing against civil asset forfeiture, without conviction, for years.
    Still boggles my mind that US citizens have allowed this theft to be practiced upon them this long.

Too damn many useful idiots ...

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Says that it is not "civil asset forfeiture" it is "civil asset theft," government should not be stealing property without a conviction. Law enforcement should not be incentivized to steal property. The current system harms those who don't trust the financial system (those who don't keep money in banks) and now some banks don't want to do business with firearm manufactures those people could be target for civil asset forfeiture if they end up cash only businesses.

This is all being said the Republican Party of Texas Convention which is happening this week in San Antonio. There are those who are supporting a plank for the Republican Party to oppose "civil asset forfeiture/theft."
    Dittos. It’s like all other good intentioned liberal social engineering projects. It don’t work as envisioned. Similar to LBJs war on poverty

Top Bottom