• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cherrick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Can someone explain to me how to remove the bayonet from my Enfield MK III? I see the lug/housing on the barrel. It appears to have a small hole in a "tab". Do I need a screw driver or special tool in the hole? Help if you can and thanks.
    DK Firearms

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Is it a spike bayonet or a blade? If it is a spike it should just come off like a child safety top on a prescription bottle. I'm not sure about the blades. I have never owned one with a blade bayonet.

cherrick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    blade

This is a spike but I think this is a reasonably good pic of the fitting:
    Lee_Enfield_No._4_Mk_III_bayonet3_1.jpg

I think it's the one on the top:
    3_Brit_Bayonets_No4_Mk2_Various_.JPG

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yes, that type of bayonette should have a spring in it. You can see the grooves on it in the pic? Those line up with the notches on the rifle. Slide it down and twist. It should click or snap into place. To get it off you have to push down and twist while holding the "button". The button is under the hole in the back of the bayo. If the spring it really old it might be really hard to do or the button might not work anymore if the spring has rusted away or something. I got one stuck on a rifle for a few months once too. I can't really remember what I did, but I think I just kept trying to jiggle the button until I felt it engage. I might not be making the best sense, and unfortunately although I have a few Enfields, I do not have one with a bayo at this moment. If you want a lot more help try the gun boards forums. They have a whole section for British arms. Gunboard's Forums

Top Bottom