• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have two questions.

Yesterday, I spoke with a Army recruiter.

I am 26. I weigh 210-215 pounds on my cheap analog scale (butt naked). On the Army scale (Digital), I weighed 219 (work clothes). I was taped at 28% body fat. Recruiter said I need to be at 22%. Recruiter said to be back in a weeks time for another weigh in (due to work, I cannot attend the workout sessions at the recruiting station).

I have never been athletic. Except for some jogging/hiking, I have never been big into fitness. At one point I weighed about 280 pounds. I lost a lot of that weight due to manual labor at work in the last few years.

Last month, I joined a CrossFit gym. I started out by going 3 times a week. Now that I am able to recover faster from the workouts, I am attempting to go at least 4 times a week, maybe 5. I try to make it out to the local park on my "Rest Days" to jog 1-2 miles. My eating habits are basically water, black coffee, whey protein, chicken, lean ground beef, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and some fruits. Once a week I will cheat and have a burger. I have lost about 15 pounds in the last month and a half.

So my question is, what else can I do to speed up my weight loss without risking injury or resorting to unhealthy practices? Am I missing something? Do I continue doing what I am doing?

Second Question

I want to make the military a career. Every veteran I have spoke to regrets not staying in until retirement. My wife is supportive of the idea. But then again, I don't know what I don't know. In your opinion, which branch would be best for a career? I am most interested in the Army or Marine Corps. The MOS's that interest me are the ones that don't involve computers, air conditioning, or anything of that sort. Does the MOS you select affect your chances of making it to 20 years?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. This is a very big step for me and my family. Something that has taken me too long to do. I am excited at the possibility of finally getting to serve my country.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Career choices are typically based on ASVAB scores and what the army needs.

I don't know that every vet regrets not making it a career and running to retirement. I don't. But it was a good experience....mostly.

I don't see any reason you couldn't go back after more than a week if it takes longer to drop the weight. Might have to redo some paperwork if you already started.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I believe you are safely doing all you can for the weight loss. Just keep it up. This is not a temporary thing either. Once enlisted, you will be expected to continue to meet weight standards. Usually not difficult as long as you watch your diet. There are mandatory PT programs, PT tests and weigh-ins for all.

No one can tell you what branch is best for a career. That has to be your choice. You may or may not be able to choose what career field (MOS in the Army) you want. Depending on your AFQT score and ASVAB scores , or whatever they call it these days, you may have several choices. Don't even know if they can guarantee a specific MOS. Do you have any skills that you are good at and enjoy? Mechanics, electronics, math, etc. Those will be determining factors in what career field the Army considers you best fit for.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Career choices are typically based on ASVAB scores and what the army needs.
    I remember that. I scored in the 99th percentile in every section and the recruiters suddenly became a total pain in my ass. I would have never hacked the fitness requirements, though.

As for the OP, I'm losing just like you...though I'm currently down to your top weight. The only thing I can say is that joining a crossfit gym is an...uh...interesting choice. I view crossfit as a competitive sport, not a healthy exercise regimen. I don't know a dedicated crossfit practitioner who doesn't hurt something, usually badly, eventually.

Then again, I'm old and decrepit and my opinion on the matter counts for very little. Bozz10mm seems to have pretty much hit the high points and does so from a more authoritative posture.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I remember that. I scored in the 99th percentile in every section and the recruiters suddenly became a total pain in my ass. I would have never hacked the fitness requirements, though.

As for the OP, I'm losing just like you...though I'm currently down to your top weight. The only thing I can say is that joining a crossfit gym is an...uh...interesting choice. I view crossfit as a competitive sport, not a healthy exercise regimen. I don't know a dedicated crossfit practitioner who doesn't hurt something, usually badly, eventually.

Then again, I'm old and decrepit and my opinion on the matter counts for very little. Bozz10mm seems to have pretty much hit the high points and does so from a more authoritative posture.
    Looking back to my youth, I KNEW that's what would have happened to me - it happened to my brother. (scoring high on the ASVAB - we're both skinny lol). They pestered him so badly, he said screw it and walked away from the armed forces. His recounting of the experience kept me from even taking the ASVAB. In hindsight, I honestly regret not going into one of the services. I'm a big enough jerk to have easily held up to the pestering.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Youth? I know I had one but ................ oh well. I was skinny when I went to boot camp (6'1" at 135 lbs.). I came out of boot and AIT at 165 lbs. Stayed there until I started working out in the school weight room every day then topped out at about 220 lbs. (at 15% body fat). After retirement I have gone back to 175 lbs. and feel pretty good (not sore everyday like when I was working out, Hah!) I'll probably carry this weight from now on. Don't know if that's good or bad but I feel good everyday and attribute that to my working out and running back then. Oh well.

ETA: A high metabolism helps a lot.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I scored in the 99th percentile in every section and the recruiters suddenly became a total pain in my ass.
    Same here. The Navy recruiter was still up my ass even after I had signed with the Air Force. Pretty typical...

Oh, Rios... you should just join the AF instead. Smoke a cigarette before the eval and you'll pass ;)

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    First off, good for you to want to serve! My advice? Avoid the Army. My brother was Army, told me not to join and I mistakenly went NG after my active time. I went AF and loved the players, hated the game. Humping heavy shit and being covered in dirt is only fun for so long. Find what job you're interested in and go with the branch that does it best. Also, make a plan. For everything. Starting now. Make a fitness plan, stick to it. Make a career goal and stick to it. Make a contingency plan for everything. Think about what if you get in and you decide after one term you want to go civi. Not all jobs translate to civilian world stuff. If you don't have a degree, get one. Just be smart and you'll survive. Go in blind with no plan and you'll crash and burn.

Nice choice with Crossfit plus running. Your diet looks good, just make sure you're eating enough calories. You're a big boy and probably need more than you think. Use the Eat To Perform calculator to see where you should be. Get your healthy fats, protein and some carbs each meal. Stay motivated, get to the box, put in the effort and you'll see the results. Don't try to rush it. Also, keep us posted!

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    Look at the Air Force. Try to get into some sort of Intelligence/Cyber job. Whenever you get out, you'll have a job waiting for you in the government paying at least twice as much as you were getting paid in the AF. And get your degree while you are in. It'll be a major benefit for you with regards to job hunting when you get out. You're 26. You're behind your peer group. They already have their Bachelors degree. You have to make up time while you're in. If you have that degree and a Vet, you're looking really good for any employer, not just the government or government contractor. You'll have that military retirement check plus any VA disability check for all service related disabilities you might have gotten, and then any check from your employer. The 20 years will fly by. You'll be 46 before you know it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Look at the Air Force. Try to get into some sort of Intelligence/Cyber job. Whenever you get out, you'll have a job waiting for you in the government paying at least twice as much as you were getting paid in the AF. And get your degree while you are in. It'll be a major benefit for you with regards to job hunting when you get out. You're 26. You're behind your peer group. They already have their Bachelors degree. You have to make up time while you're in. If you have that degree and a Vet, you're looking really good for any employer, not just the government or government contractor. You'll have that military retirement check plus any VA disability check for all service related disabilities you might have gotten, and then any check from your employer. The 20 years will fly by. You'll be 46 before you know it.

Very good advice!

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    My time in was generally good for me. I did a deployment to Baghdad in 2006 and almost went again in 2008. I don't regret getting out early but did enjoy the time I was in. I think a lot of the younger folks out there that are 18-24 need some time in the military to get their shit straight since a lot of parents these days don't parent and let their kids go autopilot. Not saying that's the case here or for everyone, just an observation. I was a signal guy so when I got out I had plenty of opportunities to get a job. I ended up working for General Dynamics as an IT instructor for their WIN-T signal systems. From there I eventually became an engineer and now a systems engineer designing VoIP and UC solutions. I would not be where I am today if not for the army. Many good experiences to be had and I highly recommend joining.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If you're wanting to stay away from A/C and computers, then maybe the Navy Seabees would be a good route. You can go to school for and develop blue-collar skills (depending on what you specialize in). Then once you get out, you can transfer your skill set pretty easily.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Another vote,,,,er,,,,nudge towards the Bees. Speaking with some experience with them, Heavy Equipment Operator (EO), I don't recall a whole lot of AC time. I DO however, remember some of the most interesting and unique experiences legally possible. And as with any military member in Any branch of Any military, Anywhere, an ungodly amount of hurry up, and wait.

Just think about it, I got to be in the world's Greatest NAVY, without setting foot into seawater, unless it was at the beach barbeque, got to play in the dirt with full sized Tonka toys, got to train with and fire full auto rifles and machine guns, got to wear a different working uniform than the rest of the Navy, at the time Bees wore "greens", the rest of the Navy wore "blues", and pretty much no matter where I was we had hot chow. And I was on Dry land.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I would also recommend the AF, but I may be a bit biased as I did 25 years in it. Don't let anyone kid you, there are a lot of badass jobs in the USAF; and you won't be treated like shit. Plus, since you've got a family, Air Force bases are a helluva lot nicer to live on than the other services.

Sure, it's tougher to get into the Air Force; but there's a reason for that.

Good luck with your decision, my choice to enlist (and later commission) in the USAF was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

Cheers! M2

Burnt Jeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    Advice from a former solider who never made weight but always made tape. Work on narrowing your waist and thickening your neck. They take those measurements to obtain your bmi. Well, at least that's how it was when I was taped in the early 2000's. My recruiter would make me wrap plastic wrap around my waist prior to runs the sweat more in that area. I started at 280, left for basic at 245, finished basic at 195, and stayed at 220 during my enlistment.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    To OP: good luck on your endeavors, I hope you find the right MOS that you're looking for. Take your time searching for the right fit, nail the ASVAB, and go full steam ahead!

Advice from a former solider who never made weight but always made tape. Work on narrowing your waist and thickening your neck. They take those measurements to obtain your bmi. Well, at least that's how it was when I was taped in the early 2000's. My recruiter would make me wrap plastic wrap around my waist prior to runs the sweat more in that area. I started at 280, left for basic at 245, finished basic at 195, and stayed at 220 during my enlistment.

Be careful with that plastic method and the sweat suits. I firmly believe you can't lose body fat in "targeted" areas. The fat is gonna go on and come off where it's gonna based on genetics. Just work hard and keep consistent with your diet and exercise.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Do NOT let them corner you into an MOS you don't want. Just up and walk away and go to another branch or wait for them to come begging. They kept trying to push one MOS on me saying they didn't have a slot for me in another and I said "k bye" and magically a slot opened. Then again that was back in 2003 and times have changed a bit since the need for people isn't as high.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I made it all the way to MEPS, and was at the last step - picking my rate. The guy I spoke with told me all I qualified for was submarine mechanic. After 10 min of telling me that's all I had and me saying I didn't want it, I got up to leave. As I was reaching the door, he called me back and offered me a Seabee mechanic job instead.

Never settle on a job you don't want or a recruiter you don't trust. My recruiter was the one who told me to walk out if I wasn't happy and to not accept a job offer without going through her so she could make sure I wasn't getting screwed over.

Top Bottom