Capitol Armory ad

Enough of This Negative News! This if for the Old Guys!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I remember being with a pal of mine and seeing that priest doing something...
    I remember the first time a priest tried to molest me. I was 14 and into photography. I had shot a couple of weddings in his church and he took a "special" interest in me. One day he invited me into his darkroom but I didn't have the time right then. I mentioned that I had gotten the invitation to a few people and that I was looking forward to it.

The word got to some folks who understood what it meant.

I remember when a group of Catholic deacons (or whatever they're called; we were Baptist) visited my father and asked him and me some questions about the priest. Within a week, he'd been moved out to parts unknown and was replaced with a respectable, much-beloved monsignor who stayed at that church until after I had graduated and moved to Houston.

Dodged a bullet, there, and didn't even realize it until years later.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I remember a lot about my youth. Cap guns, stick horses, walking 1/2 mile to school in the snow up hill one way, down hill the other way, I was in the 1st grade at the time. Our 1st TV when I was 6 with 3 channels. Watched a lot of the Micky Mouse club. Then when I was 7, we moved to Garland from Oak Cliff. This was when South Dallas was still country. We had 5 acres at the time.Went from country to city. At this time, there was less than 20,000 people in Garland and almost 300,000 now. Memories, memories, memories.
    Grade school was the next block north from home. I walked + came home for lunch before returning. Mom made lunch Date it watching Bozo or The Three Stooges. I remember the magnifying glass years too! Incinerating ants, lighting roll caps, burning my initials in pop cycle sticks. I started a couch on fire during heavy trash half way up the block. Fire department came out to put it out!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Houston and surrounding area, in the 50's, when Spring Branch was "in the country":

Riding our buckskin mare, Nancy Hanks, to Spring Branch High School carrying a shotgun and game bag, leaving them with the shop teacher, so I could go dove hunting after school at the C.M Frost Ranch wind break on Clay and Gessner (a shell road at the time). The mourning doves used to flock into those windbreak trees, on the otherwise open prairie, late in the evening.

Jumping at the chance to drive anything with wheels and a steering wheel. Dad thought he'd break me of that by making me drive from our deer lease, twenty five miles into Halletsville and back, at the age of 9. Just whetted my appetite.

We all got together and made a go-cart with 2x4's and plywood, an old Briggs & Stratton mower motor, some pillow blocks the local machine shop gave us for the axles just to get us to quit bugging them; you steered it with your feet - no brakes, so you stopped in a strategically placed bale of hay. Probably didn't go over 10 mph, but at 4" off the ground it seemed like a 100.

Swimming in the sandy bottomed, rice field pump ponds on the Katy prairie; water coming out of the ground so cold it'd make you shiver on a 100F Texas day.

And taking the horses swimming in the ponds in front of the berms at the old Army rifle range on the old San Antonio highway, where Memorial City Mall & Gessner is today.

Loading hay on trucks and trailers after every cutting, all summer, just for the privilege of getting to hunt quail on T. W, "Tightwad" Moore's, the local dairy farmer, cattle lease behind Addicks Dam; and later, at 14, driving over said dam on Clay Rd, doing 60 in a '49 Willys Jeepster, and living to brag about it.

Eating homemade ice cream, made with Texas grown peaches; to wash down a black diamond watermelon from Hempstead, while swatting Gulf Coast mosquitoes on a hot summer night.

No air conditioning, and none needed; an attic fan in the hall, and the window at the head of your bed opened just a crack, would pull enough August night air over you to make you grab for the covers before morning.

Carrying the mamma cat, inside my coat to keep me warm, out to the barn to feed in the early morning dark. Then dropping her in each feed barrel before sticking my arm in to scoop up feed, otherwise a field mouse was almost guaranteed to run up your arm.

Sunday trail rides to Emil Marks' LH7 ranch in Barker, where Mr. Marks had a BBQ and cowboy games, on horseback, for the kids of family and friends ... way before I-10 was a figment of anyone's imagination.

Shaking hand with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans; and The Cisco Kid and Pancho, as they rode around the arena at the Houston “Fat Stock Show and Livestock Exposition” when it was at the old Coliseum downtown.

Walking to the first Houston bus stop and taking the bus downtown to enter the yo-yo contest at the Metropolitan Theater after the Saturday Matinee; afterwards, riding the escalator at Kress', complete with "refrigerated air"; then going to James Coney Island for a hot dog; and taking the bus back as close to home as you could get ... all on 50 cents, with some change left.

Playland Park, watching the Houston Buff's at Buffalo Stadium, and the Oilers at Jeppsen Stadium.

Astro-what?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Back in the 1970s there was very little of Conroe, period. We would meet my Grandparents at the little park there sometimes. About the halfway point to Lake Charles.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Blue Chip and S&H stamps, dishes and glasses free at gas stations, full service gas pumps, soda machines with the bottles in cold water, tv’s with tiny screens, pay phones with crank handles, paper rolled crimp shotgun shells, .22 shooting galleries at the county fair, School Christmas plays with the Nativity scene and many more memories.

Tv shows- Lash Larue, Sgt Bilko, Cisco Kid ans my favorite Commander Cody!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Rat Patrol. 12 O'Clock High....

Stick ball.

Home Run Derby (when there weren't enough to field teams)..

Catchin' crawdaddies fer bait.

Divin' in the Allegheny ........from the Rail Road Trestle...

Dive in French Creek in July? Turn a feller BLUE! Goose bumps bigger than an ISALY'S SKYSKRAPER KONE!

Sled ridin' every winter at KING'S ESTATE...(home of the MONKEE JUMP!!)

Hoppin' trains.

West View Park.

Kennywood Park.

Clark Candy (down to North Side of Pgh)...

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Roy Rogers, Rin TinTin, Fury and others. Cartoons that were actually funny, not weird.
    Rin Tin Tin, my favorite, my mother told a story about how she knew I was sick one day, when RinTinTin came on and I did not stand up and salute! Cartoons and kid shows died with shows like Simpsons, and American Dad, when STUPID, became normal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom