Hurley's Gold

Enough of This Negative News! This if for the Old Guys!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    How many of you remember this 1940's move with Cary Grant? I watched it when I was a kid and I never forgot about the dancing caterpillar who turned into a butterfly. I wish life could be as simple and enjoyable for our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Summers when every kid headed out after breakfast, played baseball all morning at some abandoned field. No adults in sight. We all descended upon some poor mom's house for lunch. She gladly fixed sandwiches for us all. Then back out again until dark (or until mom came looking for us, hollering our full names...). No bike helmets. No batting helmets. Just happy to be outdoors and with friends.

No worries about kidnappings, pedophiles, etc.

Not anymore.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    No worries about kidnappings, pedophiles, etc.
    You must be ancient to remember a time when there were no pedophiles. I am going on 66 and I can think of several from my neighborhood and schools alone: a few were priests (though I think only one or two were charged, the others disappeared), one or two were Franciscan brothers, at least a couple were nuns, another the choir master, one was a shoe store owner, one a mental health counselor, one was the husband of a Cub Scout den mother. A couple or few of the religious ones were swiftly moved by the Church to other areas and just disappeared. I think the shoe store owner got away with it but he is known to have diddled with children. They were everywhere but most seemed to be religious. I think that folks just did not talk about them as much back then just like there were no women's hygiene commercials and no condom advertisements. Things were kept under wraps so to speak; in fact at the drug store they'd wrap the boxes of sanitary napkins in brown paper tied with string lest someone see what mom sent her kid to to buy vat the drugstore. Maybe it was a very different era but pedophiles prowled everywhere, not just in NY where I lived but all over the country. See: 1, 2, 3

FATHER JAMES SICKLER. He is alleged to have sexually abused an altar boy at St. Pancras Church in Glendale in the late 1950s and early 1960s. According to the lawsuit, Sickler asked the boy, then between 12 and 14, to join a "secret club" in the restroom of the parish elementary school. The handshake for the "secret club" involved manipulating each other's genitals, according to the lawsuit. (source)

I remember being with a pal of mine and seeing that priest doing something to an altar boy although at the time we thought at first it was a nun he was doing it to. Then we realized it was an altar boy. We thought he was punishing him for something, he had the boy bent over and was holding him down from behind. On that day, we were in the church doing tasks as altar boy novitiates, when we heard moaning noises coming from the sacristy. We peaked in through a window from near the altar into that room and saw the scene we did not fully understand at the time. Shortly after that, we were no longer altar boys in training - the priest gave some bogus reason about our behavior and the nuns enforced it and that was it for us becoming altar boys. Lucky us I am guessing. Years later I developed the opinion he probably had been molesting the boy and then I heard he made a list of known or suspected pedophiles. In general, even had he not later been accused of pedophilia, he was a very weird & scary man.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    When we had 3 channels on TV, one of the channels would show a sci-fi type movie every Friday morning. It was also dialing for dollars, so you had to have count and the amount.
    Great summer fun.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    One more reason not to go to New York. I'm a little older than you, but Texas was heavenly then. We were raised by the neighborhood and there were not any weirdoes then. Just a bunch of WW2 vets who would not put up with that caca.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I remember a lot about my youth. Cap guns, stick horses, walking 1/2 mile to school in the snow up hill one way, down hill the other way, I was in the 1st grade at the time. Our 1st TV when I was 6 with 3 channels. Watched a lot of the Micky Mouse club. Then when I was 7, we moved to Garland from Oak Cliff. This was when South Dallas was still country. We had 5 acres at the time.Went from country to city. At this time, there was less than 20,000 people in Garland and almost 300,000 now. Memories, memories, memories.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You must be ancient to remember a time when there were no pedophiles. I am going on 66 and I can think of several from my neighborhood and schools alone: a few were priests (though I think only one or two were charged, the others disappeared), one or two were Franciscan brothers, at least a couple were nuns, another the choir master, one was a shoe store owner, one a mental health counselor, one was the husband of a Cub Scout den mother. A couple or few of the religious ones were swiftly moved by the Church to other areas and just disappeared. I think the shoe store owner got away with it but he is known to have diddled with children. They were everywhere but most seemed to be religious. I think that folks just did not talk about them as much back then just like there were no women's hygiene commercials and no condom advertisements. Things were kept under wraps so to speak; in fact at the drug store they'd wrap the boxes of sanitary napkins in brown paper tied with string lest someone see what mom sent her kid to to buy vat the drugstore. Maybe it was a very different era but pedophiles prowled everywhere, not just in NY where I lived but all over the country. See: 1, 2, 3

I remember being with a pal of mine and seeing that priest doing something to an altar boy although at the time we thought at first it was a nun he was doing it to. Then we realized it was an altar boy. We thought he was punishing him for something, he had the boy bent over and was holding him down from behind. On that day, we were in the church doing tasks as altar boy novitiates, when we heard moaning noises coming from the sacristy. We peaked in through a window from near the altar into that room and saw the scene we did not fully understand at the time. Shortly after that, we were no longer altar boys in training - the priest gave some bogus reason about our behavior and the nuns enforced it and that was it for us becoming altar boys. Lucky us I am guessing. Years later I developed the opinion he probably had been molesting the boy and then I heard he made a list of known or suspected pedophiles. In general, even had he not later been accused of pedophilia, he was a very weird & scary man.

Never heard anything about such where I grew up. But I didn't grow up in NY.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    b6a17399fabfc328e49a8339b309c4c9.jpg

Agent 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom