• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Right now I'm looking for a good entry-level 1911 for my CHL. Ideally, I would like to get an even trade for my Glock 22C. I'm not looking for a $1000 gun yet. I'm more in the $500 to $600 range. A Commander seems about the right size. Any suggestions?

TexasRoadDawg,

For your first 1911, try to stay away from anything with less than a 4" barrel. Yes you will find posters that have them and have no problems, but you will find more of them that have all kinds of fail to function, especially when trying to feed hollowpoints reliabily. Most custom gunsmiths can build a reliable sub 4" 1911, but that is going to be out of your price range at this time. Plus the sub 4" guns have the compact grip which is too short for some of us and you loose a round of ammo as well. I have tried 3", 3.5", 4", and even 5" as carry weapons for over 20 years and for comfort, sight plane, balance and ammo quantity, the 4" is just about perfect. There are some great guns listed here and you will have to choose within your budget, but as posted earlier, make sure you get a "Quality" holster to carry it in. Another thing I did not see mentioned is the belt to hold all this up on you hip.....it's quality should at least match the holster if not exceed it. Please understand that this comes from someone who has tried most holsters out there and belts as well. I recently sold a bunch of my old holsters and even got involved in some "pay it forward" where I gave away some others to get something else in return. I was amazed at how many I had in my holster box that were the "wrong" holster. Good luck!!

tex45acp
    Texas SOT

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I was thinking of a Taurus PT1911 as my first 1911. What are people's thoughts on these? Seems good for the price. And I think it might prevent me from needlessly tinkering and screwing something up right off the bat.

Some folks like me have been very lucky with their PT-1911's while others have had nothing but trouble with them. I have a railed, stainless version that I use for a home defense weapon to get to my shotgun. My son has a black/blue version without the rail and has had a few problems with extraction, until I properly tuned the extractor.

Taurus is a nice gun but then so is a Rock Island Armory Tactical. It has all the bells and whistles that the Taurus has but with better customer service than Taurus. I have a blued Tactical that is my farm truck gun. It has been a great shooter and feeds hollowpoints reliably. here is a picture of it.
    RIA004.gif

RIA001.gif

and as you can see it is very accurate to boot.
    IMG_0082.jpg

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    These are my 1911's. The bottom 2 are RIA's. The middle one is a FS and the bottom is a CS. The CS shoots almost as well as my FS. I paid $390 for the FS and $400 for the CS. If you go with Rock Island I recommend the Tactical because it has much better sites.
    jsbcats-albums-1911-picture501-img-0748.jpg

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Thanks. About 4 inches is just what I'm looking for I think.

How difficult is it to carry a full-size 1911 on a daily basis?

I carried a 5" (Government) length gun for about a year until I picked up my 4" Wilson Combat Professional and a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB Holster and a Don Hume Gunbelt. The combination is perfect for me and I have carried the gun for up to 18 hours continuously without discomfort. That included driving, walking and even climbing a fairly steep grade that was about 1/2 mile long. It's all in the support equipment.

The 4"ish 1911's are, to me a perfect balanced gun system. I dont feel the little bit less sight distance from the 5" gun affects my ability to hit my target sucessfully and repeatably. Of course this is just my humble opinion and I am sure there are those who have their own about the pros & cons of the 5" guns.

tex45acp

dadoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    +1 on the Rock

I've been carrying a compact (3.5" Bbl) Rock Island 1911 for a couple of years now. Great size, great shooter, mine was under 400 when I got it. I also have a full size, but the compact conceals better.

IMG_0899.gif

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    I purchased a Colt Officers top end off the internet and put it on a full size RI frame. I took it to a gunsmith friend and he matched up the rails for me. Took it to the range today (it was cold and wet) and shot ten rounds of hardball through it-it never missed a lick. I think I'm going to like this arrangement.

sgtjab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    dallas
    get a Rock Island compact on gunbrokers from Bellshire guns...here is a link to their auctions.....I have nothing to do with them have never bought a gun from them but did read an article that suggested the same. I have a RI Tac. full size and love it. Sure it is heavy, but shoots as good as my Kimber and just as solid a gun! and the PRICE!

GunBroker.com - Auctions by Bellshireguns

Here is the article I mentioned

Rock Island Armory 1911 Compact Officers Model review | Gibberish Is My Native Language

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I was at the Mesquite show today and I've been looking for a MKIV Colt to match my Mustang but I also saw a Charles Daly today that was almost an exact replica of a Colt Defender and it was almost 3 c's less... I live the look of those RIA compacts that people posted earlier but I don't really like how heavy RIA's generally are...

Top Bottom