• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machspass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    I am considering the Aimpoint Comp M3 or EOTech EXPS as a scope for my AR. I welcome opinions regarding the pros and cons of each. Thank you
    ARJ Defense ad

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Funny - I was about to ask about ACOG vs. alternative scopes.
    Right now I only use iron sights. I'm about to swap out my generic sights for some Troy battle sights so I can have the cool glow in the dark stuff. That way I can kill Zombies at night.

From what I've read the batteries in the aimpoint last longer. Easy solution: carry extra batteries and swap out your battery frequently (once a month).

B/c red dot sights don't work well beyond 200 yards (the dot becomes larger than the target) I'm more interested in an ACOG or clone scope. My question is: how much will I really lose out spending $300 for a NCStar or some other crap scope versus dropping a grand on the real deal?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My first question would be what is the intended use of the gun? Personally, I like both Aimpoint and EOTech for different uses. You can't really go wrong with either, as they are both about the most rugged red dots out there.

EOTech XPS:

Pros:
    -Big HUD, easy to see
    -Relatively compact/short
    -Big, easy to use buttons
    -Better battery compartment design from old ones (perpendicular to the recoil, contacts won't come loose)

Cons:
    -Battery life alright, but drastically less than Aimpoint
    -Most reticles fairly large and less accurate at distance

Aimpoint Comp M3:

Pros:
    -Battery life second to none, on low brightness the battery will last something like 4-5+ YEARS constant on
    -Usually a smaller dot compared to some EOTechs, so better for precision at distance
    -Can be mounted using standard scope rings

Cons:
    -Smaller window area than EOTech, not as quick or easy to acquire
    -Longer in size than XPS, takes up more rail real estate

My personal opinion, if this will be a SHTF defensive gun, I would lean towards Aimpoint. Personally I think it is awesome that you can set one to the low brightness settings and just leave it ON all the time. This allows you to know that, if you need it, just pick up the gun and it's already on. Not to mention, for a few bucks buy a few extra batteries and store them properly, and you are set for a few decades. ;)

If it's a defensive gun and will be mainly closer range stuff, the XPS would be an excellent choice as the HUD is pretty much the quickest and easiest to acquire, and speed counts.

If it's a fun gun for run n gun competition stuff or hunting moving targets, the XPS will probably be easier and quicker overall.

If it's a gun for hunting or general shooting maybe longer range (~150yds+), you can get a smaller dot with Aimpoint I believe, which can help.

The best thing you can do is try to find some friends that have either of these or at least something close to check out and play with. If you can't, try to find a store that does. It's really personal preference as they are both top notch quality.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've had one Aimpoint CompM2 for a few years, and have my second EOTech... and I'm thinking about ditching the EOTech for another Aimpoint.

IMO the Aimpoint wins the ruggedness debate. The one I've got is second hand and shows it. It's beat up six ways from Sunday and still functions 100%. Battery life isn't what the new ones have (about a year constant at a lower setting), and it's got the big 4MOA dot, but it's outlasted this EOTech so far.

The EOTech now refuses to zero properly. I've got it on my M4 right now, had it on my MSAR (traded away...). The only reason it works on the M4 is because I can adjust the zero by cowitnessing it on the irons. Without these, my broken EOTech wouldn't zero without spending a case of ammo. It's not the only one I've heard of with this problem...

EOTech pros (some are in comparison to Aimpoint sights):

• 1MOA dot size is excellent for making more precise shots.
    • Ring around the dot focuses you in on the dot nicely.
    • Some models use common batteries (more on this in a bit), my current EOTech uses AA.
    • Low battery warning - the reticle will blink at you when you turn it on.
    • Available with a couple of different reticles.
    EOTech Cons:

• Battery life!! In a word, the battery life on these things sucks (more on this in a second).
    • Durability IMO. But that's mainly because I've got one that's failed after moderate use compared to several Aimpoints I've handled that have definitely "been around the block" with no issues beyond aesthetics.
    • Pushing the buttons can be a PITA, even if nothing is in the way. They're small, they can be hard to find (black on black? Could you make 'em, like...brown or something?), and holding both buttons at once while keeping the rifle pointed in a safe direction to put the sight in standby mode (note I use that term, not "off") can be annoying.
    • Lacks a freaking off switch.
    Aimpoint pros:

• Has a real off switch! Current is completely interrupted inside the sight when you turn that switch off.
    • Easier and faster to adjust than the EOTech. Just spin the dial instead of push the button, look, push, look, push, look....
    • Battery life. Older models capable of a year constant on, newer ones capable of running the batteries past their shelf life. The off switch helps immensely.
    • Battery cost - about $3.
    • Simple controls! It's a dial. You dial it up for brighter, you dial it down for dimmer. It doesn't get simpler, and you can actually manage to do it right even when you can't feel your fingers or your hands and body are shaking. It just doesn't require the level of finesse that the EOTech controls do.
    Aimpoint cons:

• Smallest dot size I know of is 2MOA, which is twice the size of the EOTech. Not a big deal to me, as a combat rifle is a 4MOA rifle anyway. Not many people are going to shoot these sub-MOA even if the rifle and ammo are capable.
    • No low battery warning (may have changed on later models). Your sight works or it don't.
    • Somewhat heavy, but this is the price you pay for a sight you can kick the snot out of.
    As far as one being easier to see through than the other, there is zero difference. You're supposed to use both of these with both eyes open, focused on the target and not the dot. I like proving this by having people shoot my AK with the front lens cover closed.

Now, about that "standby mode" and "lack of off switch". If you use an EOTech, you'll notice that you press the "brighter" button to turn it "on" and press and hold the "brighter" and "dimmer" buttons simultaneously for a moment to turn it "off". Problem is that this requires voltage to be drawn through the circuits constantly, looking for that "on" switch to be closed. I've had this confirmed by having EOTechs owned by myself and friends eat batteries while "turned off" and sitting in the safe for extended periods of time. Just recently a friend of mine who'd just installed a new set of N batteries a few months ago asking aloud why his reticle was blinking at him. He hadn't even had the rifle out of the safe since the day he put the batteries in.

Instead of adjusting brightness by commanding electrons with buttons, the Aimpoints use a rotary dial, which is a switch. That switch also opens the circuit inside the sight when you turn it off. Zero draw on the battery, unlike the EOTech.

I find the Aimpoint better because of apparent Durability, easier operation, and more inexpensive operation (go price some N cells or CR123 batteries) through both relatively inexpensive battery choice and efficient use of power.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Here we go if you google this there will be numerous debates on this subject in all kinds of forums your gonna have fan boys for either side your gonna have to sift thru the bs and just pick one that suits your needs. I picked a xps 2 eotech with the standard 1moa dot and 65moa circle I like the big window you can look out of and it drives from target to target nicely. Plus I used the 552 over seas and I have never had one fail. Im comfy with it, wish the buttons were more accessible and the battery life a little longer. I have never had mine run out just sitting in the safe I have had my xps for 8mos and use it alot at least three or four times a week and have not changed the one cr123 battery that runs it. Mr Fiend you are wrong the eotechs sport a 1moa dot with 65 moa circle around where as the aimpoints dont go below 2moa as Sage has already pointed out. Out of the prone position on a bag I get ok groups in the center mass portion of a idpa target at 300 yds. There are both great and both are badass optics you just got to shoot both and choose. If your located central Texas your more than welcome to run mine. Good luck on your search.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for correcting me. ;) I had it backwards. For some reason I was thinking 2-4 MOA for the small dot on EOTechs and down to 1 MOA on Aimpoints. Guess I should consult Google more. LOL

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for correcting me. ;) I had it backwards. For some reason I was thinking 2-4 MOA for the small dot on EOTechs and down to 1 MOA on Aimpoints. Guess I should consult Google more. LOL

You think that's bad, I mix the names up all the time for no reason. I had to go back and correct about a dozen times before I was ready to post.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    This whole choose your optic gig is tuff it took me a while to figure out what worked well for me even after my expeirence with eotech I still bought aimpoint micros and acogs. Now its just eotechs with magnifiers

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Yep, they both work well; just a matter of preference.

I've got an Aimpoint CompM4. Soon as my AR is complete and zeroed, we can meet up at a range and you can try it.

After the LaRue range day, I'm drooling over the Trijicon 4x with the horseshoe retical. And an Aimpoint with 3X magnifier was just a nice.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I will make it simple for you. EOTechs break and Aimpoints don't
    Ok, totally over simplified, I admit that. But, it is true. Most EOTech users will never have a problem. Those who do will have their sight repaired and returned quickly as their customer service is good. But in 6 years I have nly sent ONE Aimpoint in for service, and we sell a LOT of Aimpoints.

With that said, I do own both and you can really justify either one. As has been asked above, what do you want to do with it? One may be a better tool for the job.

Either way, feel free to contact us for a quote. We give TGT discounts all the time.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

This. My EOTech has two issues - the reticle fades out slightly on one half of the window and the zero adjustments don't work right. I need to send it in, even though it's out of warranty. Word is they'll fix it up for $50, though... I do that, I can sell it and buy an Aimpoint!

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Ok, totally over simplified, I admit that. But, it is true. Most EOTech users will never have a problem. Those who do will have their sight repaired and returned quickly as their customer service is good. But in 6 years I have nly sent ONE Aimpoint in for service, and we sell a LOT of Aimpoints.

With that said, I do own both and you can really justify either one. As has been asked above, what do you want to do with it? One may be a better tool for the job.

Either way, feel free to contact us for a quote. We give TGT discounts all the time.
    I am curious have you seen any failures in the XPS type EOTechs with the battery compartment sideways?

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I currently use an EoTech for duty but I have used Aimpoints in the Army before.
    Aimpoint was pretty rugged and of course battery life is better.
    I love the EO reticle much better and the bigger glass feels much more natural to me.

Nothing bad to say about the Aimpoint, nothing bad to say about the EoTech.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I am curious have you seen any failures in the XPS type EOTechs with the battery compartment sideways?

That was the point of the xps, eotech had some optic failures due to the older style batteries being straight in there. The recoil was causing the little terminals in the battery box to break so eotech put the battery sideways. I have never expeirenced but in the military we did have some that broke down for no reason and that could have been it. My xps has about 3000 rounds outta it and has been fine. Also rides in the back of my car with no case and gets pretty beat up. No problems at all.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I was just curious if he had seen any fail. That is the main reason I bought my XPS that and to consolidate my rifle to having only one battery type. I only have about 300 rounds on my XPS.

Top Bottom