• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I went through the same dilemma and went with the Aimpoint ML3 (2MOA dot). My primary reason for doing so was the battery compartment recall on the EOTech. I am sure that the issue has been resolved since, but at the time I was looking to buy they were going through the recall, so I opted for the Aimpoint. The 50,000 hour battery life was also a big plus. I havent been able to spend as much time behind it as I would like, but so far its been an OK experience. I wouldnt say its better than sliced bread though. I am used to shooting irons, so my shooting has declined a bit. I am sure that will change with some more quality trigger time. The negatives that I have run acorss with the Aimpoint are as follows:

Paralax: They say its Parralax free, but at CQB ranges its there. Will it make a difference getting on a man sized target ASAP;no. Does it annoy me when I am plinking golf balls or more precise things;yes. This will probably go away as I spend more time behind the newly assembled carbine its on, but its still annoying.

Brightness: Of the 10 setting only about the last 4 are visible to me with the last 2 useable in brightly lit situations. At first I though my unit was busted and thats why I got a good deal on it :(. Not the case. SOP form what I have been able to gather. That 50,000 hour battery life will probably never make it since I have to run it on 8 all the time.

None of these are a dealbreaker though, just good to know.
    Capitol Armory ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Battery life isn't an issue with either brand.

Battery life is an issue with the EOTech, especially if you leave the batteries in it between range sessions.

EOTechs don't turn off. They go into standby mode, the electronics are still powered up. The Aimpoints I've used have an actual switch that opens all circuits in the sight when you turn it off.

Other small things to consider:

You cannot lower the installed height of an EOTech. They can be too tall for some applications. You can lower an Aimpoint by getting a shorter mount.

Personally, I like my Comp M2 better than the 552 I used to have.

The more open "window" of the EOTech is a non-issue. You can use either of these optics with the objective end completely covered. They're meant to be used with both eyes open.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Meprolight has a pretty cool optic as well... no baterries, all fiber optic and tritium, played with one the other day and it is freakin awesome...

CrookedSoul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have the Eotech 512 and love it. I think this is a real preference thing. THis seems like the ford chevy debate. Both are great optics.

Top Bottom