• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If there is already a thread here that outlines any sort of comparison, please point me in that direction. If not, please give me your thoughts, as I am torn between going HWS or red dot for my ARs and my SOCOM II.

Thanks,

Pete
    Venture Surplus ad

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have 2 Eotech's, a 512 and a 511 for my AR's. I like the Eotech, but both companies produce a great product. It really comes down to personal preference. The sight picture is different when you look through them. I prefer the more 'open' style of the Eotech. Battery life isn't an issue with either brand. I would suggest putting your hands on both and looking through them to see what you prefer. The Eotech is more versatile to me, since it has unlimited eye relief (easier for me to use no matter where I mount it).

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Trijicon Reflex RX30-23

ETA: For your two choices, I would probably go with the Aimpoint just because of the battery life. I think I have left every battery powered optic I own on at one point.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I prefer the Eotech for what I do. It has a 1 MOA center reticle and a 65 MOA outer ring. It is VERY fast for getting on target in CQB conditions, and the center reticle is only 3 inches at 300 yards, making shots at that distance easier.

I think the Aimpoint can now be had with a 2 MOA reticle, making 300 yard shots show a 6 inch dot.

Here is a pic thru my Eotech;

holosight.jpg

And if I ever pull a boner and let the batteries go dead, I have an A2 style flip up BUIS

BUIScowitness.jpg

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I have nothing against EOTech and they probably are great I just chose to go with an Aimpoint ML3 2MOA. I personally like the single dot of the Aimpoint. FOV doesn't bother me as I am slightly more left eye dominant so my FOV is not obstructed much by the smaller Aimpoint aperture.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    ETA: For your two choices, I would probably go with the Aimpoint just because of the battery life. I think I have left every battery powered optic I own on at one point.

The current version F of the Eotech:
    Battery Life:
    1,000 continuous hours (lithium) at nominal setting 12;
    600 continuous with AA alkaline

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The current version F of the Eotech:
    Battery Life:
    1,000 continuous hours (lithium) at nominal setting 12;
    600 continuous with AA alkaline

From some of the online browsing I have been doing, I think that Aimpoint battery life is claimed to be something like 50,000 hours...surely that doesn't compare straight across to the 1,000 hours of the Eotech, right?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I don't know. With the Eotech and normal shooting, the batteries will probably go stale before they die from use.

If the Aimpoint batty lasts 50,000 hours (5.7 years) if left on, then I guess the batteries will last their shelf life....unless you leave it on for 5.7 years?

It's kind of a moot point for either, since the batteries are cheap, readily available, and last a long, long time. I would not use that as a criteria for purchase. The average person may use it 2hrs. a week, at best. That works out to 100 hours a year of use.

I would get what is easier for me to aim through.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I can only speak from my experience with the Aimpoint. I was issued one for my year tour in Iraq and it held up perfect. For the missions I performed it did not get used much. I would say try them both out and whatever you like better.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't know. With the Eotech and normal shooting, the batteries will probably go stale before they die from use.

If the Aimpoint batty lasts 50,000 hours (5.7 years) if left on, then I guess the batteries will last their shelf life....unless you leave it on for 5.7 years?

It's kind of a moot point for either, since the batteries are cheap, readily available, and last a long, long time. I would not use that as a criteria for purchase. The average person may use it 2hrs. a week, at best. That works out to 100 hours a year of use.

I would get what is easier for me to aim through.

Great points.

Just a note that some folks like to leave the sight on. If you need to grab the gun it is already on.

Still, that is over a month with an EoTech. But 5 years.............wow!

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    This is a good question, with great responses so far. To be honest I personally started out hating the Aimpoint. Nothing like being told that you need to put something that looks like a daisy red dot on your M-4 for the first time.

Now that I'm accustomed to them, I'd have to say Aimpoints are great sights, I still prefer the Eotech's just for the sake of eye relief and being able to use flip up sights if the batteries go dead, without having to remove the optic.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    You can use flip up sights with the Aimpoint as well. That is how i ran mine 90% of the time. I just prefer and trust iron sights more. It may be hard to see, but I am running my BUIS in this photo. never have to remove the Aimpoint.

Iraqpics002.jpg

QBToo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Dallas, TX (North Carrollton)
    I use the micro Aimpoint H-1 optic on FS2000s, PS90s and CX4. The H-1 micro co-witnesses with the iron sights on the FS2000. I like the Aimpoint micro optics because they are small and extremely light, 5+ year battery life and I have quick acquisition with them.

Previously I used Eotech 512 and 517 (buttons on the side) models and have nothing bad to say about them, I just prefer the Aimpoint micros.

TresAmigas.gif

Top Bottom