• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reaper277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    I'm finally looking at reloading equipment after years of thinking about it, I'm on a tight budget for now, but I want to start picking up a little at a time, I'm curious as to what would be the first item I should think about buying? I was thinking I should get a case tumbler so at least I can clean all the brass I pick up at the range and what not.

I cant afford a Dillion progressive anytime soon so when I get a press I'm prob going to be looking at a rock chucker or something along those lines.

I plan to mostly reload 300blk to start with, but will add 556 and pistol cals later down the line
    thanks in advance!
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Lee makes good stuff for the price. Get one of their single stage press kits and you are half way there. Stick with the full O frame and it will last you forever.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    If you don't mind doing a few tweaks here and there to get it running like a top, the Lee Pro 1000 is a great way to get some speed going on your reloads while still staying on the cheap. Mine runs like a freaking champ with only a few minor annoyances on 223, really just problems with the case feed system and the priming system but they are minor and don't really slow me down. With 9mm I have no qualms whatsoever, it blows through my W231/HP38 like nobodies business.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If you don't mind doing a few tweaks here and there to get it running like a top, the Lee Pro 1000 is a great way to get some speed going on your reloads while still staying on the cheap. Mine runs like a freaking champ with only a few minor annoyances on 223, really just problems with the case feed system and the priming system but they are minor and don't really slow me down. With 9mm I have no qualms whatsoever, it blows through my W231/HP38 like nobodies business.

yeah, if you hand prime your cases before hand and remove the decapper from your resizer, you can run the crap out of a Pro 1000, especially straight wall pistol

Reaper277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Good to know, I was thinking of going single stage to start since I'm starting with a rifle round. I have zero equipment as of right now, if I can't buy the kit and would like to buy a part here and there what would be the best order to start picking up parts

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good to know, I was thinking of going single stage to start since I'm starting with a rifle round. I have zero equipment as of right now, if I can't buy the kit and would like to buy a part here and there what would be the best order to start picking up parts

Books. Reloading manuals are the best investment, imho.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mods ought to combine the multiple threads on this topic, edit for on-topic posts only, and make it a sticky.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Specifically get Lymans 49th. Single best reloading manual you can get and one every reloader should own. Lee's book, while it can be very opinionated, is also very good and informative.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Specifically get Lymans 49th. Single best reloading manual you can get and one every reloader should own. Lee's book, while it can be very opinionated, is also very good and informative.

I second the vote for the Lyman's 49th. The 48th was very good also but more calibers are covered in the newer one.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Forgive my criticism but I never understood why everyone has such a hardon for a "progressive" that doesn't even have an auto-indexing shellplate. If I was going dillon I would go for the SDB or the 650 and up.

Popped my cherry on a 650....
    No way I'd load pistol on anything lesser....

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I just want 1 press to do my rifle and pistol reloading, for the price, the 550b makes sense to me. The XL650 would be awesome, but I just don't know if the added cost is worth it to me

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I plan to mostly reload 300blk to start with, but will add 556 and pistol cals later down the line
    Start looking into case-trimming for the 300 BLK; you're going to be doing a lot of brass-prep before you can load the cases.

Generally-speaking, straight-walled cases don't need to be trimmed, but bottlenecked cases stretch slightly upon firing - so they need to be trimmed back to the correct length.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    ^ Yup, I spend hours prepping my match .308 brass, but thats for a bolt gun, so I don't go through as much ammo as a semi would. Now if I was reloading for a Semi I would get a RCBS prep center

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Forgive my criticism but I never understood why everyone has such a hardon for a "progressive" that doesn't even have an auto-indexing shellplate. If I was going dillon I would go for the SDB or the 650 and up.

The SDB won't do rifles or bottleneck pistol. It takes a propriatery die size and is therefore limiting. The 550b takes standard dies and will do rifle and bottlenecks. While it doesn't autoindex, it has the advantage of operating like a single stage for load development which makes it better than the 650 for that purpose. The 650 is a great machine and will operate faster than the 550 but not enough faster to justify the price to me. YMMV

Top Bottom