• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I need a step by step on stripping a hog head. What I need is the process up to the beauty salon peroxide bleach out. Not sure what steps i need to de fat the skull before that. I want to get it obama teeth white.

Whats supplies are needed? I prefer home taxy stuff. Nothing off Van Dykes.

Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using NSA spyware
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Why even have a forum? Just google it all!

Forums are great for asking people's opinions, especially when you've come to know a few of them or have seen how they operate and wish to do likewise. Also great for shooting the bullshit.

You, on the other hand, asked for a detailed, step-by-step, process. Look at the answers you've gotten. Not on point.

In addition to not being detailed, many of the answers you've gotten are either dead wrong or impractical. Boiling it will basically ruin whatever pot you use, not to mention smell absolutely vile. Pressure washing it will likely break or destroy the teeth and sensitive bones around the nasal cavity. Burying it deep in your backyard for two months will do almost nothing, especially in this weather. Ants will get the big stuff but leave behind plenty, leaving you with a darkened, oil-stained, sun-baked skull. The above comes from past experience.

If you have private land with water on it, the absolute easiest way to get a wonderfully clean mount is to run a rope down the eye-socket and into the cheek, and toss the skull in the lake. Water will soften the bones, allowing fish and aquatic invertebrates will clean it much faster, and much more thoroughly, than any land animal besides those cultivated specifically for this purpose. Again, personal experience.

However, you're posting here, so I'm willing to bet you're a city slicker trying to do this in your backyard. That's fine, too. The best economical backyard solution that I've found to give good results is to get a 5-gallon bucket with a lid. First, get the major parts off if you can. Lips, tongue, throat cavity, eye balls; the more work you do here, the less the bugs will have to do. Put the head inside, and fill the bucket with water. Take the bucket as far from the house as you can, and leave it uncovered for a few days. Flying insects whose larvae feed on flesh will have stopped by and provided you with a natural army of cleaners. At this point, I usually put the lid back on. The larvae don't seem to mind, and this keeps evaporation down. Once a week, completely empty the bucket, gently hit the skull with a spray from the garden hose, pick up any loose teeth, and refill. Repeat until the skin and tissue are dissolved and gone. I have seen this take as few as 4 weeks and as many as 24, depending on temperature, size of hog, cleanliness of original skull, and other factors. At this point, you can do the peroxide business. I don't mess with that stuff.

That was a long-ass response. I didn't have time to type it from my phone today at 2pm, so I told you to check Google. It would have revealed much of the same. I do hope this helps, though, and be sure to keep us updated. Everybody likes pictures.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    ^^ I'll tell my buddy the professional taxidermist that he's doing it wrong. Sheesh!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Or just find an ant bed. They'll pick it clean in a week or so.

Vaq, ive tried that. But they freaking build a dirt nest on the thing. The skull gets stained. Plus fireants get real pissy when its time to foreclose on their new house.

Rolly pollys do a decent job. Those things will eat the band out you hat. Over night on a camping trip.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Vaq, ive tried that. But they freaking build a dirt nest on the thing. The skull gets stained. Plus fireants get real pissy when its time to foreclose on their new house.

Rolly pollys do a decent job. Those things will eat the band out you hat. Over night on a camping trip.

We take'em out to the ranch to a big population of wood ants (the big ones) and just set it next to their existing mound. They come out for breakfast, then lunch, and dinner then they go back to their condo in the ground! :p

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Put a hogs head on my wall? It's a mean tempered, ugly, nasty beast that destroys everything it comes in contact with. You know.....just like an ex-wife!

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom