Evacuate or be arrested

Discussion in 'Politics' started by eriadoc, Jul 27, 2009.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
  2. TxShooter

TxShooter Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Arrested

And here is the problem....who is going to do the arresting. Most likely if an evacuation is ordered as there was during both Hurrican Ike and Katrina, the local jails will no longer accept prisoners, or have been already evacuated prior to a evacuation order being issued. Trust me on this one! A local police officer or sheriff's deputy will not arrest someone on any crime not a Major Felony....and then it is only of they must. Again, trust me....been there.

This is not much to worry about. Just remember if you choose not to evacuate when told, help may not be on the way when you decide you need it!

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Does this include illegal aliens? I'm guessing not.

4. SiscoKid

SiscoKid Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    This truly irks me, I only evacuated to a friends house for Rita, to daughters for Ike. Spent two weeks after Rita in a Houston motel, not knowing if my house was still there, if my guns were there or scattered all over the neighborhood (or in the hands of the Hood). When I finally was let back home, lots of cleanup. But guns were ok.

For Ike I scooted back home while it was still blowing down. Fired up generator (packed a good .380 on my belt), and waited for the power.

It is MY business if I want to take care of my self.

I can't believe that this is happening in Texas. Could understand it somewhere like La La Land.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    This is what people keep saying, and I have to say, it's more disturbing to me than the actual bill. I guess other people are comfortable with passing laws that allegedly won't be enforced, or will only be enforced selectively. First of all, if the law isn't going to be enforced, then there's no need for the law. Second, since when has any government entity ever surrendered power? This is just another incremental step of the government stepping in to be our nanny.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wow, this is a bit interesting. The government will stop at nothing to "do things in our best interest", and erode our rights as Americans to choose our own destiny. Some people cannot afford to leave their homes and put their family up in a motel for weeks on end. Are they going to arrest them for that?

How about we arrest people that are caught up in earthquakes, forest fires, and other natural acts. Let's insult these people further by throwing them in jail because I guess losing one's livelihood and possibly their home is not destructive enough.

7. texas1willy2

texas1willy2 Active Member

Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    Here's some info from the Homeland Security garbage that I follow: (this is U.S. law not Texas)

Another Hastings bill (HR 645) authorizes $360 million in 2009 and 2010 to set up "not fewer than six national emergency centers on military installations" capable of housing "a large number of individuals affected by an emergency or major disaster." But Section 2 (b) 4 allows the Secretary of Homeland Security to use the camps "to meet other appropriate needs" - none of which are specified. This is the kind of blank check that Congress should never, ever sign.

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Kind of a worthless law. How ready will SWAT be to roll out during an evacuation?

9. Castrolr1

Castrolr1 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    this was being discussed yesterday on a local radio show. LEOs were calling in saying "no one will be enforcing this law, no one will be in the jails, and were not going door to door to see who stayed home."

10. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'd like to see them try to make me leave my dog behind if I have to evacuate... :mad0025: