• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Arrested

And here is the problem....who is going to do the arresting. Most likely if an evacuation is ordered as there was during both Hurrican Ike and Katrina, the local jails will no longer accept prisoners, or have been already evacuated prior to a evacuation order being issued. Trust me on this one! A local police officer or sheriff's deputy will not arrest someone on any crime not a Major Felony....and then it is only of they must. Again, trust me....been there.

This is not much to worry about. Just remember if you choose not to evacuate when told, help may not be on the way when you decide you need it!

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    This truly irks me, I only evacuated to a friends house for Rita, to daughters for Ike. Spent two weeks after Rita in a Houston motel, not knowing if my house was still there, if my guns were there or scattered all over the neighborhood (or in the hands of the Hood). When I finally was let back home, lots of cleanup. But guns were ok.

For Ike I scooted back home while it was still blowing down. Fired up generator (packed a good .380 on my belt), and waited for the power.

It is MY business if I want to take care of my self.

I can't believe that this is happening in Texas. Could understand it somewhere like La La Land.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    And here is the problem....who is going to do the arresting. Most likely if an evacuation is ordered as there was during both Hurrican Ike and Katrina, the local jails will no longer accept prisoners, or have been already evacuated prior to a evacuation order being issued. Trust me on this one! A local police officer or sheriff's deputy will not arrest someone on any crime not a Major Felony....and then it is only of they must. Again, trust me....been there.

This is not much to worry about. Just remember if you choose not to evacuate when told, help may not be on the way when you decide you need it!

This is what people keep saying, and I have to say, it's more disturbing to me than the actual bill. I guess other people are comfortable with passing laws that allegedly won't be enforced, or will only be enforced selectively. First of all, if the law isn't going to be enforced, then there's no need for the law. Second, since when has any government entity ever surrendered power? This is just another incremental step of the government stepping in to be our nanny.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wow, this is a bit interesting. The government will stop at nothing to "do things in our best interest", and erode our rights as Americans to choose our own destiny. Some people cannot afford to leave their homes and put their family up in a motel for weeks on end. Are they going to arrest them for that?

How about we arrest people that are caught up in earthquakes, forest fires, and other natural acts. Let's insult these people further by throwing them in jail because I guess losing one's livelihood and possibly their home is not destructive enough.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    =TxShooter;80978]And here is the problem....who is going to do the arresting. Most likely if an evacuation is ordered as there was during both Hurrican Ike and Katrina, the local jails will no longer accept prisoners, or have been already evacuated prior to a evacuation order being issued. Trust me on this one! A local police officer or sheriff's deputy will not arrest someone on any crime not a Major Felony....and then it is only of they must. Again, trust me....been there.

Here's some info from the Homeland Security garbage that I follow: (this is U.S. law not Texas)

Another Hastings bill (HR 645) authorizes $360 million in 2009 and 2010 to set up "not fewer than six national emergency centers on military installations" capable of housing "a large number of individuals affected by an emergency or major disaster." But Section 2 (b) 4 allows the Secretary of Homeland Security to use the camps "to meet other appropriate needs" - none of which are specified. This is the kind of blank check that Congress should never, ever sign.

Castrolr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    this was being discussed yesterday on a local radio show. LEOs were calling in saying "no one will be enforcing this law, no one will be in the jails, and were not going door to door to see who stayed home."

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Another local official spoke about this yesterday on the evening news. He said that it's mainly so that those who stay behind and have to be rescued will have to pay for the service.

Guess with our tax money paying for the Police, Fire, National Guard, the helicopters, it's not enough money.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I don't think it is enough. If you're told to evacuate and you choose not to, that's your right. But that doesn't mean IMO that LEO should have to put his life on the line in a situation where they tried to get you to leave early. IN the event of a hurricane, I plan to stay where I am...at home, not stuck on a freeway in traffic. But, if things turn for the worse, I shouldn't expect a rescue in the middle of the storm. After it passes is another story though.

On that note...as said before, WHY PASS A LAW IF THEY CLAIM THEY WON'T ENFORCE IT? Sounds like b.s. to me.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd like to see them try to make me leave my dog behind if I have to evacuate...

Pretty easy, actually. I've wondered how I would convince my wife to abandon her dog and cat if we had to get out of dodge in a hurry. The answer is two rounds of .45 ACP.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I think that the problem is the people that stay behind want someone else to risk their life to save them after they're hurt or in trouble. Stubborn people who dont want to listens to the evacuation warnings want to be rescued after the fact which is rediculous. If you stay and are stranded or hurt its your own fault...deal with it

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    The law should have simply been one that stated if you don't evacuate a mandatory evac zone, then you're 100% completely liable with no expectation for rescue or recourse. That would have solved the problems and wouldn't have infringed upon anyone's rights, IMO. Then before the storm, you canvas neighborhoods and offer everyone either a free ride or a Sharpie, their choice.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Mandatory e-vacs

Didn't we just sign in a 9 th & 10 th Declaration here? LOL
    Not soo fast Feds. Texans will vote from their roof tops. We know what to do.
    We kicked another's country's butt and you will be no different. See my sights.
    You will not jab me and my kin with who knows what, I don't trust you anymore.
    That's right, We're breaking up from an abusive partner. If you want to live, don't take the shots. Why? Qualine, go look it up, it had alot to do with Gulf War syndrome, don't take the Jim Jones coolaid. I will not be herded into the Federal Nazi death pen like cattle. See you on the outside, fellow Americans.

Top Bottom