• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Is this lmao with a new profile? This post seems awful familiar............

54ee58ecb836117efddcf6eca17b1b7e.gif

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I do almost all my practice drawing. Usually shooting two targets upon drawing. Don't time it. One of the old West gunslingers observed it is not the first shot that stops the fight, it is the first hit.

Clearing the shirttail consistently does take practice.

Can't hurt to practice different ways.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Most bad guys aren't going to challenge you with a quick draw contest. They are likely ready to go when you fall into their trap, guns drawn. I agree with your assertion about situational awareness.
    Very true. In most encounters, you will be way behind the curve. Having quick access to your weapon is a good skill....but having the skill to surreptitiously access it may also be advantageous. Always good to have multiple tools in the toolbox....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I do almost all my practice drawing. Usually shooting two targets upon drawing. Don't time it. One of the old West gunslingers observed it is not the first shot that stops the fight, it is the first hit.

Clearing the shirttail consistently does take practice.

Can't hurt to practice different ways.
    Exactly!

I would tweak that to first good hit, but close enough... ;)

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    While I compete, and practice a lot drawing from a holster, in real life 99% of the time I pocket carry, so I also practice drawing from my pocket...a lot.

I've said it before, and I'll say it many more times; Almost every time I go to our local range, which is outdoors, I drive around until I find a target stand with a semi-intact target already in place. I then drive up to the bay, exit my pickup, and engage that target as efficiently as I'm able. Basically simulating driving up on a very bad situation and dealing with it.

I'm cognizant of the fact that only a very, very small % of real world encounters are going to be decided by who presents and engages their opponent the fastest, but I have learned over the years through competition that an efficient draw and presentation can be fumbled about 20 different ways and I want to minimize unforced errors in real life as much as I'm capable of...so I practice.

In 2010, after about 20 years of sporadic competition, on the 5th stage of a local uspsa match, the shooter was to start facing 180 degrees away from the targets, hands in the air ("surrender position"), pistol holstered and loaded. At the buzzer, you were to turn, draw, and engage. When the buzzer went off, I did an about face, drew my pistol, fumbled and promptly dropped it, which is an automatic disqualification.

Had that been real world, it's entirely possible I'd have been lit up by a bad guy...that one event changed the way I look at practice and dry fire/the draw.

Lastly, no matter the situation, the faster and more efficiently one draws and presents, the more time they will have to actually evaluate and make smart/accurate decisions...and with enough practice, most movements become second nature, requiring less and less active thought, which frees up our limited processing power for doing other things...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Very true. In most encounters, you will be way behind the curve. Having quick access to your weapon is a good skill....but having the skill to surreptitiously access it may also be advantageous. Always good to have multiple tools in the toolbox....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

A friend of mine has a saying which was pretty insightful, "If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail."

Building or learning new skills is like adding tools to your toolbox.

Top Bottom