Ever want to buy a used gun but...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
If a bill of sale is a problem or, as someone suggested, they demand to see my bill of sale, then there is always a legal transfer via a 4473 through a dealer. That way, both parties are covered.

What I do not understand is why people attack or denigrate those who do want a bill of sale or a transfer. We, as firearm owners, are already under attack and I wonder why we are not able to respect each other over this.

There are actual court cases where a person executed a bill of sale. Buyer used the gun in a crime. Bill of sale came into play that proved sale of the gun to a felon. Which turned the seller into a felon since he sold the gun to a felon.

Last edited:

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
Jan 9, 2013
San Angelo
There are actual court cases where a person executed a bill of sale. Buyer used the gun in a crime. Bill of sale came into play that proved sale of the gun to a felon. Which turned the seller into a felon since he sold the gun to a felon.
I've googled and googled - spent about 20 minutes googling- and cannot find anything more than "free bill of sale for the state of X"

Can you point me in the direction to find that?
thanks
Robert

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
I've googled and googled - spent about 20 minutes googling- and cannot find anything more than "free bill of sale for the state of X"

Can you point me in the direction to find that?
thanks
Robert
There will I guess be a lot more posts. How would a BOS prove a gun was sold to a felon? Are you a felon, the yes box is checked?

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
I'll chime in with my own thoughts on a bill of sale.

A BOS is meaning less unless one has a Notary witness the signatures as being the people signing the BOS.
A BOS provides no proof the item (gun) is stolen or if either party knows it's stolen.
A BOS provides no implied warranty, etc.
A BOS provides no information that indicates the seller is the owner of the firearm.
A BOS does not prove the person selling or buying is a citizen of the state.
Etc., Etc.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
There will I guess be a lot more posts. How would a BOS prove a gun was sold to a felon? Are you a felon, the yes box is checked?
I'm confused.
If you sold a gun to an individual who is a felon, and you didn't know it.
You both exchanged your BOS, and there you go.
Later, he is arrested with the gun, and BOS proving that you sold it to him.
Wouldn't that be how?

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
The BOS only indicates the gun was sold. It does not prove that the seller knew or didn't know he was selling it to a felon. A seller could have stolen the gun and put all kinds of BS on the BOS!

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads