• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I thought I read somewhere... 5 transactions per year. Over that and you are considered a dealer and need to ge t the aforementioned FFL. The selling for a profit thing was not part of it. That is what I recall, and that could be bad info. So if you get caught and go to court I will testify to the 5 gun rule, bit only of it helps you and I get one of the guns over 5.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I thought I read somewhere... 5 transactions per year. Over that and you are considered a dealer and need to ge t the aforementioned FFL. The selling for a profit thing was not part of it. That is what I recall, and that could be bad info. So if you get caught and go to court I will testify to the 5 gun rule, bit only of it helps you and I get one of the guns over 5.

I'm not saying you are wrong about the five transactions a year, but I have yet to see anything from the BATF that supports that statement. I have heard of people being arrested and charged with selling as an unlicensed gun dealer for less than that.

And to be honest, I have heard other people make the claim about the five transactions per year for private sales of guns. But not one person I have asked in over ten years, has yet provided any proof of that claim.

If such does exist, I'd like to see the proof. And something from the BATF would be even better.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You can buy and sell all you want to build or liquidate a collection.

When you're an obvious flipper or selling only for profit they can get you.

Like I said people screw themselves on this one. Like buying and immediately selling on TG Trader by taking pics of the gun in your lap in your car. A couple dozen times, never keeping one.

Guys who buy guns for a friend and resell it at a profit or sell guns for a friend alot.

Dont think they cant find private sale info. The internet is forever.

If you really want to know what trips people up google the dealing without a license cases.

I think it's all unconstitutional bullsheit but it's the rules we have to live by, at least for now.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Since this is continuing to stay alive, ATF does have a handy publication to help delineate when it’s interpreted that an FFL is required.

“As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy and sell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast, if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personal collection, you do not need to be licensed”[\b]

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Since this is continuing to stay alive, ATF does have a handy publication to help delineate when it’s interpreted that an FFL is required.

“As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy and sell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast, if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personal collection, you do not need to be licensed”[\b]

That is the part I have read several times in the past. At no time is an exact number of transactions mentioned in that clause.

IMO, the number of transactions is an arbitrary number, probably left to the discretion of the agent or officer to determine.

Top Bottom