• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    John Corriea of Active Self-Protection says your choice of handgun for defensive situations may not be the best compared to the bad guy's gun; LCP vs. Open Division handgun. See photos attached.

For those new to gun ownership and/or handgun competition this explanation might help from Target Barn website. The United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) conducts competition events with different divisions of guns.

"It also has the most expensive and highest bar for entry, as the guns in Open feature the most modifications and add-ons in any division. Red dot sights are allowed and can be mounted to the frame, compensators to help reduce recoil are allowed, and giant magazine wells for speed reloading are just a few of the modifications you’ll see. In open division, the minimum caliber is 0.355 for bullet diameter. Shooters can use 9mm bullets that are loaded hot to make major power factor in Open."

Your choice of firearm will be determined by many many factors. Choose wisely get training.

Another point in competition is the good guy starts shooting at the sound of buzzer. In real world situations often bad guy/gal start against the victim with no warning at all. Stick around for John's last comment.
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• Ruger LCP .380 caliber.png
      Ruger LCP .380 caliber.png
      37.6 KB · Views: 71
    • USPSA Open Division handgun.jpg
      USPSA Open Division handgun.jpg
      171.7 KB · Views: 71

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Bear in mind also that it's a rare attacker who's proficient with his firearm.
    It may be true that criminals are not proficient but from what I have seen at literally scores of ranges across the country (LE & private ranges) it is often the legitimate firearms owners who are not proficient with a firearm nor with tactics.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    His qualifications........

Seems like a lot of classroom type....but never carried a gun for a living that I could read...........

That's why his "Badge Cam" videos irk me. He has no business critiquing law enforcement tactics when he has no LEO training or experience....

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I really don't like the guy, but he makes a point...

If it's really open division though, isn't that rifles, and just how far do you go toward being well heeled in public just now?

Seems everybody has to decide their own threat level, based on their own circumstances, and take the chance that they may win the lottery on being undergunned somewize. Best option may be to just do your best to avoid that venue..., I travel less and less personally, but some people obviously don't have that option or want it.

I have an LCP, it is a little crappy pistol, no doubt, and I do sometimes stuff it in my pocket when I go to my little town, but I carry my P365 and a spare mag when I go to the big city; in either case I have a 5906 in my console.

Maybe I should carry a 2nd spare P365 mag, but I really don't feel undergunned carrying the P365 especially compared to my LCP, at least for now, where I travel.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It may be true that criminals are not proficient but from what I have seen at literally scores of ranges across the country (LE & private ranges) it is often the legitimate firearms owners who are not proficient with a firearm nor with tactics.

The thing to remember about the 'average' member of any group is that half the group is, by definition, crappier than the average. So I try never to be the "average" gun owner or the "average" driver or the "average" member of the public. Success varies, but some things (like building proficiency with your firearm) are easy to address and improve.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    I think everyone has certain scenarios in mind, but

Imagine if I were a customer in the bank during the Heat bank heist; would it matter how big a pistol or how many mags I had on me?

On the other hand, having taken some defensive pistol classes has taught me how much ammo I can burn through on just two threats. I was surprised how often I found myself holding an empty gun during class drills. There are enough shooting videos available online to convince me that a couple of 9mm rounds won't guarantee stopping the bad guy from hurting me or my family.

WAA

Sir, I decline to answer, respectfully.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    The footage he uses proves the old adage, “Sometimes you get the test before the lesson.”

A firearm is a tool. Your BRAIN keeps you out of trouble. Carrying or not carrying a firearm, keeping your head out of your donut and watching what is going on around you will help you avoid 99.9% of trouble. Walking around needing slits cut in your belly to see out ain’t no way to live.

I usually click off his commentary on officer involved stuff. Walk a mile in the moccasins first, beotch.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    From a recent news report were the good guy had an 'open division' gun that held 12 or more rounds. "A Chickasha, Oklahoma, homeowner fired at least a dozen rounds at a home intruder, killing him."

The guy in CO that took down a mass murderer armed with an AR amd a pistol did it with his bare hands, then disarmed the criminal and started pistol whipping him.

Top Bottom