• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I went to the fast food place drive-thru today for a quick bag of lunch.

At the speaker the order taker says that will be $4.82 at the window.

When I get to the window I hand him the four dollar bills and eight dimes and two pennies. He says "is that exact change" ? I (can't believe the question) said "what?". He repeats "is that exact change" ? I say "yes". Then he gives me my lunch and I go away puzzled.

There's a first time for everything, but I don't understand this one at all.
    DK Firearms

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Many of the kids today have no clue. If the computer doesn't tell them, they're lost. My bill will be like $7.43 I hand 'em $13 and you can see the panic set it. Me, I already know (from doing the math in my head) that the change will be $5.57...which means ONE bill in my wallet instead of 4.....lol

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Many of the kids today have no clue. If the computer doesn't tell them, they're lost. My bill will be like $7.43 I hand 'em $13 and you can see the panic set it. Me, I already know (from doing the math in my head) that the change will be $5.57...which means ONE bill in my wallet instead of 4.....

I like you, we can be friends. I do the same thing. I also round my tips up to get round number totals, and that melts brains more often than you’d expect.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    True Story #1: Visiting my Dad and he wants to go to a sandwich shop. OK. We ordered and I stepped up to the register to pay. The amount was like $17.65. I dug in my wallet and got a $20 and handed it to the young girl at the register. She's shocked. She says she thought I was paying with a credit card and so she pushed the wrong button on the screen and now it won't calculate the change. She fooled around for a couple of minutes and though I could have given her the answer, I chose to see what would happen. She finally went and got the manager, who was probably in his late 20's. He looked at the register and played with a few things. At that point my Dad wants to leave and so I blurted out that it was $2.35. The manager held up his hand for me to be patient, then he turned around and pulled out his cell phone, searched until he found a calculator app, and then turned back around and got the money out of the register.

True Story #2: We met up with some folks in a restaurant where there was a bakery next door. Their kid wanted a cookie after dinner, so I took him over to the bakery and he picked one out. The girl behind the counter said it was 99 cents. I happened to have a couple of Sacagawea dollar coins in my pocket that I got in change from a parking lot. I tossed her a coin and told her to keep the change. She said, "What do you expect me to do with this?" Me: "Umm, put it in the register." Her: "But this isn't money." Me: "Uh, yes, it is. It even says so on the coin." Her: "What? They don't make dollar coins." Me: "Yes, they do. Google it." She did.

I weep for the future.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Yet the Fraulein at the local Gasthaus can track the number of Pils each person drinks at a table with over a dozen people at it, then compute each's total due in about .69 seconds when it's time to pay!

I've had several such encounters in the States, to the point where one young lass even gave me over a dollar's worth of change back because I gave her a quarter as the total was ten cents past the dollar amount.

It's getting where you can expect stupid...

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    This past Friday my total at a very small town grocery store was $17.15

I gave the young cashier $20.25 since I didn't have the 15 cents only quarters. It broke her brain even with the change amount automatically calculated by the cash register. She had to pull out her phone to use the calculator to do the math. She told me it didn't look right so she had to be sure.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Some of this I blame on technology. Well, not so much technology itself, but more and more reliance upon technology and people not using the brain Gog gave them to use to think and figure things out.

Then factor in some of this new-fangled math, with the technology, and the younger generations are totally lost, and incapable of figuring out even the simplest of problems that life is throwing them.

If the economy were to collapse, and technology takes a dump, we are going to be surrounded by hoards of literal zombies!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    This reminds me of a recent breakfast I had while out. The bill came to $9.87 and I handed the waitress $20.00. She had the change right, giving me back $10.13.

I asked her if she worked for tips? She say yes. I told her you need to learn how to make change! She looks at me and said I gave you back the right amount! I explained giving me a $10.00 bill if I only had a $20.00 might only get her a .13 cent tip. Looking even more confused than before, I asked if many people would tip more then what their bill was? I said a $5.00 bill and 5 $1.00 bills might get her a better tip.

You could see the light bulb over her head start glowing, until I handed her .13 cents while getting my wallet out. As I was putting my change away, she asked about the tip I gave her! I told her my tip was one of knowledge not money! When I laid the 4 $1.00 out she got real happy .

Last edited:

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    Twenty-some years ago I was standing at a fast-food joint with a coworker and we watched as the bewildered cashier struggled with trying to figure out what to do with cash and a couple coins. As she (yes, I assumed a pronoun) turned around to get the food, I made a comment that we'd be better off just turning the cash registers around and let the customers do it.

We now have self-checkouts.

Neighborhood kids were playing in the front yard recently and one of them asked me a simple question (don't remember exactly what, it was that insignificant). As he was holding his phone, I asked if he has internet on that device. "Yes" he said, looking a little confused. I asked if he knew how to use it for anything other than SnapChat and gaming. Again, a perplexed look with a "yyyyes?". I simply asked "If that's true, then why not look it up yourself?". He said "because it's easier to just ask someone who knows.".

I truly feel sorry for some kids. As for me and mine? I'll leave you with this:

"And we can skin a buck; we can run a trotline" - Hank Williams Jr.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Many of the kids today have no clue. If the computer doesn't tell them, they're lost. My bill will be like $7.43 I hand 'em $13 and you can see the panic set it. Me, I already know (from doing the math in my head) that the change will be $5.57...which means ONE bill in my wallet instead of 4.....lol
    What did you do with the 57 pennies they gave you?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I would have been happy to get 4 bills back if I gave them a $10.

No, I wouldn't keep it.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    My high school math teacher did not allow calculators in his class, although in the 70's they were already being marketed to teenagers for math homework. He said he did not want his students to be mental cripples to a calculator.

I still do a lot of math in my head, but I must admit I have become a mental cripple to the cell phone. I no longer know anybody's phone number. I used to know at least 2 dozen phone numbers.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom