• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I remember when phone numbers were like MurryHill5-1234. And you had a party line.
    Yep. I had to learn our phone number in first-grade - GLendale3 (GL3).
    In about the fourth-grade, something changed with the phone company and it became "453", which is the same thing!
    And you are correct, you could tell what neighborhood someone lived in by their phone exchange! All the "rich" kids lived in GLendale1!
    Lynx Defense

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I grew up in Johnson County Kansas which is a suburban county to Kansas City Missouri. Our phone number was Endicot 2 2921 which is a Kansas prefix. When calling home long distance, before direct dial, we would give the number as Emerson 2 2921. That was a KCMO prefix. Even when calling from western Kansas, that was a far cheaper call For some reason.

My dad knew the reason as he was the field services manager for 4 states.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    We never had a party line but my grandparents did. The phone would ring and grandma would say nope not our ring, we are 2 shorts and a long.
    And their east Texas address was a name and RR2 plus the zip. Rural Route

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    We never had a party line but my grandparents did. The phone would ring and grandma would say nope not our ring, we are 2 shorts and a long.

Growing up, our address was just our name, Rt 1, city. We sometimes even got mail delivered that just had Dad's name, and city. The post office used to serve people. Not anymore.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Growing up, our address was just our name, Rt 1, city. We sometimes even got mail delivered that just had Dad's name, and city. The post office used to serve people. Not anymore.
    When I think about it today, maybe it was just less people. I'd go to the Piggly Wiggly with Grandpa, we'd find what Grandma wanted and to pay Grandpa would get a blank check from the clerk. Nothing on it but the banks name. All he would do was sign the check and we would be on our way. They filled in the amount and the account too I guess
    It was a different world

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    When I think about it today, maybe it was just less people. I'd go to the Piggly Wiggly with Grandpa, we'd find what Grandma wanted and to pay Grandpa would get a blank check from the clerk. Nothing on it but the banks name. All he would do was sign the check and we would be on our way. They filled in the amount and the account too I guess
    It was a different world

Daddy's checking account didn't have preprinted checks. Just the banks name. There were pad's of blank checks at the bank and everybody used the same checks. Everyone just signed their name. And I don't think the bank EVER made an error on the account.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It was a different world

Daddy's checking account didn't have preprinted checks. Just the banks name. There were pad's of blank checks at the bank and everybody used the same checks. Everyone just signed their name. And I don't think the bank EVER made an error on the account.
    I remember those. My first checking account in the mid 1970's was like that.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I grew up in the country - I still remember the address - we had a Rural Route address long before they ever went to street number / name...

Route 3, Box 645, Beaverton, OR 97007

Now the house I grew up in doesn't even exist. Was bull dozed and sold off years ago.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Oh, and party lines? We had one up until the very end of the 80s or early 1990's - I was in elementary school when we got our own dedicated phone number. We had a rotary phone on the wall until about 1993, when we upgraded to a touch-tone phone you could blugeon someone to death with, and still make a long distance call.

Top Bottom