• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgolfer45

Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I took a combined Pistol I and Pistol II class from Scott Caylor yesterday. He owns and runs North Texas Shooting Academy. He is an excellent instructor and accomplished Grand Master IPSC and Master IDPA shooter.

The training facility is near the DFW area.

We covered the basics of stance, grip, etc. in the morning and then progressed to multiple shots and multiple targets as well as shooting on the move in the afternoon.

I definitely improved my shooting through the course of the day.

For more info, go to [URL="http://www.learn2shoot.net"]www.learn2shoot.net[/URL]
    Gun Zone Deals

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the heads up! I just went through the site and looks like a place I'd try out.

How crowded was the class? Was the cost manageable?

idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I'm curious what the course description for Level I Pistol means by "preferred shooting platform". I'm not going to have to listen to the instructor preach about the virtues of their personal favorite pistol and why it should be my favorite pistol, am I?

txgolfer45

Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    Thanks for the heads up! I just went through the site and looks like a place I'd try out.

How crowded was the class? Was the cost manageable?

6 students and it was $400 for a full day. We went from 8am to around 6:45pm with a break for lunch..

txgolfer45

Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I'm curious what the course description for Level I Pistol means by "preferred shooting platform". I'm not going to have to listen to the instructor preach about the virtues of their personal favorite pistol and why it should be my favorite pistol, am I?

No, we didn't spend time with him discussing his favorite pistol. He prefers the isosceles stance but varies it up for individual needs for point of aim. If you love the weaver stance, he will only suggest you try it another way. The improvements he suggested on everyone's grip helped with accuracy and ability to fight recoil. He only modifies what he perceives as needing improvement.

We had 3 people with 1911's, 2 with Glocks and 1 had a Taurus 24/7. Scott Caylor used a Glock 17.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Thanks for posting this! I've heard his name somewhere but never knew about his place. It sounds like he actually does practical training.

Looks like the Pistol I and II is a special thing he does sometimes but over-all pricing seems reasonable. For those of you with 9mm's, there's a couple of pretty good deals coming up!!

texasnative

Jul 30, 2009
    DFW Area
    Thank you. Thank you.

I am scheduled to take his Pistol 1 class in a couple of weeks. Anything I should know that is not on the web site? Amount of ammo, type of holster, etc, etc.

txgolfer45

Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    Thank you. Thank you.

I am scheduled to take his Pistol 1 class in a couple of weeks. Anything I should know that is not on the web site? Amount of ammo, type of holster, etc, etc.

Bring around 500 rounds of ammo. Scott will send out a list of things to bring including sunscreen, water, ear and eye protection, extra magazines, etc. Wear comfortable shoes, bring a chair, bring lunch and snacks. Either an IWB or OWB holster plus a magazine holders.

Have fun!

Top Bottom