Experience with folding stocks? The good, bad and ugly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to get a 308, not sure if bolt or semi-auto, but I'll want a folding stock on it. Yes I know regular stocks are better but they aren't better at being shorter.

What out there is good, bad, ugly?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I'm looking to get a 308, not sure if bolt or semi-auto, but I'll want a folding stock on it. Yes I know regular stocks are better but they aren't better at being shorter.

What out there is good, bad, ugly?

Folders are more compact obviously, but you lose stability (meaning good luck with precision) and comfort. There's a reason why your spray and pray type rifles are really the only ones you see folders on, unless you spend money.

Also limits your platform you can choose... Meaning no AR style rifles because of the design (buffer tube if you need further explanation).

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Familiar w the AR design and operation. Dont plan on getting one but for anyone who does like that sort of thing and wants a folder i think RRA makes some sort of actual piston AR with no buffer tube.

Without Life there can be no Liberty.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Pretty much all the folder Chassis' for a precision rifle are extremely tight and squared away, I can also say that the Scar 17's Ive handled have been pretty tight as-well. As for the Ruger Scout rifle, you might be able to get a manners or mcmillan inletted for one...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It depends a LOT on the design of the stock. Some folders really suck (AK underfolder comes to mind), some are flimsy and break easily (I'm looking at you, FN SCAR) and some can be pretty damn nice.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My only high-round-count experience is with an H&K UMP side-folder. I couldn't ask for anything better for the purpose. However, if it had been on a hard-kicking gun, I'm sure I'd feel differently.

Top Bottom