• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hi everyone, I just bought an STI GP6, and they will give my weapon on July 20.
    I did a research about STI International, and I concluded its a great company, but after I bought my weapon, people started to say that the model of my weapon jams and stovepipes, so I was wondering if someone had experience any problems with this gun? Sometimes people start saying things about a gun, but they have never owned one or have never used one.

I will apreciate your own experience or if you have seen one. I want it for concealed carry and to compete.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Welcome to TGT. Where are you that you have purchased a pistol and they won't give it to you till July 20?

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    STI imported those; they are not STI products as such.

That said, I have a GP6C and like it a lot. Excellent trigger reset, comfortable bore axis, controls in the right place, reliable and accurate. The only complaint is that it doesn't have a decocker.

A

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    you're correct - STI IS a great company - your incoming pistol isn't, however, an STI product

I wouldn't be concerned about a rumor of it "not working" - wait until you get it and shoot it - if you have problems THEN jump back into the internet with any problem you might have

perhaps someone on the STI forum can answer any questions/problems you might encounter :

STI/SVI - 1911Forum

good luck with your new pistol

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    STI imported those; they are not STI products as such.

That said, I have a GP6C and like it a lot. Excellent trigger reset, comfortable bore axis, controls in the right place, reliable and accurate. The only complaint is that it doesn't have a decocker.

A

Have you had any jams? Has your gun stovepiped? I will never use reloaded ammo, but can I use cheap ammo on it?

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Welcome to TGT. Where are you that you have purchased a pistol and they won't give it to you till July 20?

In Guatemala. You buy a weapon on a store and you have to wait that the state give you the authorization. Its always 15 days, but since the police bought a million weapons, they have a lot of work with it so its a month

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    ..............I will never use reloaded ammo, but can I use cheap ammo on it?

Don't rule out reloaded ammo. If you decide to pursue the hobby, it's a great way for you to shoot cheaper. A basic reloading set up is not that expensive and it's easy to do, not dangerous to you or your handgun at all if you follow the instructions and pay attention to what you are doing. FYI all gun makers say don't use reloads. It is a cover their ass legal statement by them to protect themselves from having to fix guns that idiots blow up due to the owners incompetence. If you do your research, you will find that reloading is a very popular activity among firearm owners here in the US.

Welcome...............

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Don't rule out reloaded ammo. If you decide to pursue the hobby, it's a great way for you to shoot cheaper. A basic reloading set up is not that expensive and it's easy to do, not dangerous to you or your handgun at all if you follow the instructions and pay attention to what you are doing. FYI all gun makers say don't use reloads. It is a cover their ass legal statement by them to protect themselves from having to fix guns that idiots blow up due to the owners incompetence. If you do your research, you will find that reloading is a very popular activity among firearm owners here in the US.

Welcome...............

Well, I don't like reloaded ammo, what can you say about this pistol? Does it jams a lot?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Glad to have you aboard from Guatemala then. The cheap ammo we have here doesn't seem to cause issues. Can't say for sure what your cheap ammo may do since we're not really sure what kind of quality your cheap ammo has.

Does the cheap ammo typically cause problems in other platforms, or is it pretty reliable? If the ammo is good, I wouldn't worry too much. If the pistol were junk, STI wouldn't have put their name on it.

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Glad to have you aboard from Guatemala then. The cheap ammo we have here doesn't seem to cause issues. Can't say for sure what your cheap ammo may do since we're not really sure what kind of quality your cheap ammo has.

Does the cheap ammo typically cause problems in other platforms, or is it pretty reliable? If the ammo is good, I wouldn't worry too much. If the pistol were junk, STI wouldn't have put their name on it.

The Tulammo, that is a cheap ammo. I use Remington, Smith & Wesson, Sellier & Belliot and PMC. But I was expecting to buy Tulammo to shoot, but I don't know if it will cause problems.

Thats true!!!!

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    The STI GP6 can be a great gun. I believe most of the negative things you hear come from a bad batch of extractors that got out. If you have problems replace that part and everything should be fine.

Last edited:

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I think you're fretting about something that may never happen with your new pistol - so far nobody here nor on the STI site has indicated they've come across any problem

suggest you get the pistol first, shoot it and see how it runs - then, if you have a problem, come back and find out how to rectify - in other words, don't create an imaginary problem for yourself

I know, 1st hand, that Guatemala is a very "gunsie" city - is ammo readily available and do you have ranges that you can go to for shooting ?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The GP6 is a fine handgun indeed. I own both the GP6 as well as the original K100. The only real negative about the GP6 was in regard to the hammer that STI designed for it. Allegedly it cracks after about 20 thousand rounds. If you buy a Grand power K100, you will get the very reliable factory set up with standard hammer. Overall, I consider it the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned. That list includes browning hi powers, glocks, a CZ75, CZ75 clones and several others. Mine has never had an ammo related failure, or any failure other than a feeding problem from an unseated magazine. In time, I could see this gun overtaking popular ones like the glock or Springfield XD. The glock was considered plastic junk when it came out and the HS2000 was a $300 handgun before springfield put their name on it. Given a little time behind the trigger I think you will be very satisfied with that gun.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    The GP6 is a fine handgun indeed. I own both the GP6 as well as the original K100. The only real negative about the GP6 was in regard to the hammer that STI designed for it. Allegedly it cracks after about 20 thousand rounds. If you buy a Grand power K100, you will get the very reliable factory set up with standard hammer. Overall, I consider it the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned. That list includes browning hi powers, glocks, a CZ75, CZ75 clones and several others. Mine has never had an ammo related failure, or any failure other than a feeding problem from an unseated magazine. In time, I could see this gun overtaking popular ones like the glock or Springfield XD. The glock was considered plastic junk when it came out and the HS2000 was a $300 handgun before springfield put their name on it. Given a little time behind the trigger I think you will be very satisfied with that gun.

This post about sums it up. My GP6 is the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired/owned. It actually out shoots my STI 9mm 1911.

This pistol has never failed in any form or fashion. It will eat reloads as well as any brand I have tried.

You will find the GP6 as your "Go To" Pistol for all your 9mm needs.

Brad

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    This post about sums it up. My GP6 is the most accurate 9mm I have ever fired/owned. It actually out shoots my STI 9mm 1911.

This pistol has never failed in any form or fashion. It will eat reloads as well as any brand I have tried.

You will find the GP6 as your "Go To" Pistol for all your 9mm needs.

Brad

Have you tried shooting hollow points or +P?

Top Bottom