• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm only a use of force instructor, and licensed by TCLEOSE (now TCOLE) the Texas DPS PSB, and an LTC instrutor. I have studied this extensively. So...what the **** do I know?

Anyone who feels the need to make personal attacks when another disagrees with him does not deserve my response.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have a story about a Maglite. Back when they first came out, 70's I believe, My uncle was a Seattle cop, and he carried one. I just remember at that time it was the longest flashlight I've seen. One night he had made a traffic stop, and while standing next to the pulled over car an on coming car tried to hit him. He was able to jump out of the way, pull his flashlight and throw it at the car. The flashlight hit the taillight and broke it. While he wasn't able to get the license plate number he did recognize the type and color of the car. He radioed it in and within a couple hours they caught the guy. He showed us the flashlight, few scratches but no real damage. He said that he was surprised that when he retrieved it, it worked just fine even the bulb worked.
    Back then they had carried clubs but many replaced the clubs with Maglites.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Ball peen hammer and call it a day. OC Spray is nice to have against dogs or pesky panhandlers. Yes, you will probably get some on you.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Any Security Officer who is level 3 commissioned to carry a handgun can carry a club with no additional training or licensing.

As far as clubs......A maglight is not a club unless it is modified to inflict serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with it. It does not have to work to not be a club.
    Came to post this. Your Level III card authorizes you to carry a club. Some companies have policies that do not allow it unless you have additional certifications for it, but that is not law.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Man, I could have been carrying a baton the whole time I was a guard? They had to have changed that since the early 2000s. I was for sure you had to have a separate cert, but I will take you guys word for it. I never had reason to use force with anyone, but it would have been another tool to have. My main thing was always trying to de-escalate situations. I was in some pretty hairy spots by myself. I also pride myself on being the little guy that didn't have the napoleon complex.

I do learn a lot from this forum. That makes it worth my time.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ball peen hammer and call it a day. OC Spray is nice to have against dogs or pesky panhandlers. Yes, you will probably get some on you.
    If you are going to carry a hammer, carry a hammer
    IMG_2097.JPG

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Man, I could have been carrying a baton the whole time I was a guard? They had to have changed that since the early 2000s. I was for sure you had to have a separate cert, but I will take you guys word for it. I never had reason to use force with anyone, but it would have been another tool to have. My main thing was always trying to de-escalate situations. I was in some pretty hairy spots by myself. I also pride myself on being the little guy that didn't have the napoleon complex.

I do learn a lot from this forum. That makes it worth my time.
    Wacky told us in '96 that we had to by TX law be PPCT certified to carry a baton or Asp-type baton, and I took the class. I haven't kept up since. Wacky lied to us a lot, though.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    You better get them on the first swing Hoji, cuz there ain't gonna be a second if you miss

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Wacky told us in '96 that we had to by TX law be PPCT certified to carry a baton or Asp-type baton, and I took the class. I haven't kept up since. Wacky lied to us a lot, though.
    That might have been policy, but not law.
    A lot of the confusion comes from the fact that an unarmed guard can carry a club under specific circumstances if they have specific certification.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    A lot of the confusion comes from the fact that an unarmed guard can carry a club under specific circumstances if they have specific certification.
    I had my commission card to carry a gun-but wasn't assigned a gun post. They told me when I quit to keep my blue card-I'd need it at the next company...I told them they were supposed to be the best, and if this is best...won't be no further need for ANY of the cards. Not surprised they've been absorbed.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014

Are these old PPCT manuals worth giving to someone or have they been updated several times? Impact weapon and Pressure point both revised in '94 .

zoomydave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    El Paso, Texas
    Carry a 9mm it's more legal than a baton. Even security officers have to be licensed to have those batons (and I've never known one to secure the license.) Also the maglite thing... I keep 2 maglites in my car one by my door and one by the trunk. I also used to keep a spare bulb and batteries. Although the new LED ones don't have bulbs so I just have a 3rd LED completely disassembled to fix any impropriety in the one I have in the door. As long as it works when the police arrive I am lead to believe that it is not a club if it works as a flashlight. Perhaps a LEO or TXinvestigator could speak more to that.
    Like I stated, I cannot always carry my firearm in my vehicle because of where I work. The 9MM won't work in this situation.

Top Bottom