• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I need that in my life. More info if available please.
    e89daa0654b629df73e7ee2f782a4c3a.jpg

http://www.511tactical.com/c6-multi-sledge.html

They can be found considerably cheaper than 5.11 MSRP
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    An acquaintance thought it would funny to stick me in the neck with a stun gun once. It made me yelp and jump, and then I wheeled around and punched him right on the jaw. He was the one on the ground not getting up right away.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Good news for OP and other TX teachers-TX Senate Bill 1566 passed and sent to Gov for signature or to become law without signature after the waiting time prevents school districts from forbidding LTC holders to keep their weapons locked in their vehicles on school property. This will take effect 1 Sep unless Gov vetoes it.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/SB01566F.pdf#navpanes=0

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good news for OP and other TX teachers-TX Senate Bill 1566 passed and sent to Gov for signature or to become law without signature after the waiting time prevents school districts from forbidding LTC holders to keep their weapons locked in their vehicles on school property. This will take effect 1 Sep unless Gov vetoes it.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/SB01566F.pdf#navpanes=0

I am not sure if that's really "good news"...

First, I didn't know school districts could even circumvent LGC §229.001 which prohibits municipal governments from regulating the ownership, transfer, storage, or licensing of firearms, ammunition, or accessories (not sure what school districts are considered under Texas law, but the 2002 Census of Government stated Texas has 1,196 cities, 254 counties, 1,089 school districts, and 2,245 special districts.).

Texas law (§46.03) prohibits intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possessing or going with a firearm on the physical premises of a school or educational institution. “Premises” as assigned by Section 46.035, Penal Code, means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

In fact, the Texas Association of School Boards legal release concerning firearms on school property explicitly states that!

Just to note, the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act does stipulate a person must be licensed to legally carry in, or on the grounds of, or within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school unless the weapon is unloaded and locked up, part of an approved program, has authorization by written contract, or is law enforcement (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25)).

Either way, I can tell you that allowing people to keep handguns locked in cars is not doing anyone any favors! Sure, it's better than not allowing them at all; but the goal should be fully restored rights, not piecemeal!

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I don't know for sure if a school district is considered a municipality or not -I don't think so. I do know that a school district can authorize employees/teachers who have LTC to carry at school if they wish. They also have the ability to train/authorize a staff member as a school marshall, and, until this law goes into effect, they have had authority and have used it in employee handbooks to forbid teachers to have any guns in their vehicles on school property.

Even when TX Labor Code 52.061 went into effect in 2016 to forbid public or private employers to prohibit employees with arms or ammo that employees are authorized by law to possess in their locked POV on a parking lot, in a parking garage, or other parking area employer provides for employees, it specifically did not apply to a school district, open enrollment charter school, or private school.

For the thousands of teachers and staff and employees who were forced to drive back and forth to work unarmed or try to find parking off school property, it's a major win...if, in fact, it doesn't get vetoed.
    The TASB site reported the law as it is now...this law will change that, too, if they update it.

One bad thing about it is that it only applies to teachers and staff who have an LTC, and not all who lawfully possess arms/ammo.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    For the thousands of teachers and staff and employees who were forced to drive back and forth to work unarmed or try to find parking off school property, it's a major win...if, in fact, it doesn't get vetoed. The TASB site reported the law as it is now...this law will change that, too, if they update it.

Trust me, as someone who works on a military base I am very familiar with having to commute unarmed; but that is the base commander's decision (it is not against Federal law to have a personally-owned firearm on a military installation, just in Federal facilities which like "premises" means buildings) whereas schools are under Texas control.

Texas needs to allow those with LTC/CHLs to carry inside the "premises" without restriction.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Agree completely on LTC should be able to carry at school...talk about a high-risk environment from insiders as well as outsiders. Last year, wifey took up a cellphone being used in class...a coupla hours later, a few 9mm rounds were tossed outside her classroom door. Several times, loaded guns have been found at school.

Looking at that TX gov't site I looked on down and school districts are listed under special districts formed for one purpose...also water districts. I guess that makes them municipalities...but it didn't keep them from forbidding employees to have guns in their vehicles...this law will give that right back to LTC employees...as you and I, being LTC, have had when we went to the school.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Some policies followed the "premises definition" but bands march and gym classes and other activities run on the grounds and parking lots often...so this specific law will at least protect teachers and employees with an LTC.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    As to our military bases, we need a SecDef to direct that all military offices and facilities and bases be open to LTC carry, and not leave the decision to base commanders who don't want anything making waves. A person is responsible or he's not...makes no difference where he is.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Just found out OP's not a teacher...on another thread, he clarified he's working on a military installation-so the above "good news" won't apply to him at all.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    So it didn't knock you to the ground and incapacitate you for five minutes?
    No, I got maybe 1 second from the same stun gun she used. The bad guy got 3 to 5 seconds and hit the ground.
    Although she is a natural shot she was fearful of car carry. She has since changed her opinion.
    As I have stated prior I think stun guns require one to be way too close. But they can be carried openly on or about your person or car. no 30.whatever signs apply. Lots of caveats for blades and guns. And something anything (which I think was what this thread is about) is better than being a victim.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom