• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This question was asked on another board I post on. How much spare ammo do you carry with your concealed handgun? Personally I only carry what the guns capacity is which in my case is between 8 and 11 rounds. Most of the people said they carry at least 2 spare mags and a wonder 9 for a total of about 46 rounds. I am thinking defense and hope to put as few rounds in the air as possible that might hit unintended targets while getting out of a tight spot.
    Gun Zone Deals

knsgordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    Fredericksburg
    The key is to carry as much ammo as you will need to get the job done! For some it may be one round, for others, they might need a trailer. Carry what fits the above and is comfortable to you.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I carry a Kel Tec P3AT and all I carry for ammo is a loaded mag. I don't usually go to places where I expect to engage in a small war, but some guys must do that frequently, or else they would tire from carrying so much extra ammo with them.

I do also have a Taurus .45 ACP with 11 rounds in my console and a Springfield .45 ACP with 8 rounds in my briefcase. That's it for me.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I carry two mags for my Glock 17(34 rounds) and three mags if carrying my 1911(24 rounds).

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    This question was asked on another board I post on. How much spare ammo do you carry with your concealed handgun? Personally I only carry what the guns capacity is which in my case is between 8 and 11 rounds. Most of the people said they carry at least 2 spare mags and a wonder 9 for a total of about 46 rounds. I am thinking defense and hope to put as few rounds in the air as possible that might hit unintended targets while getting out of a tight spot.

That would be me. Beretta92FS with 2 spare mags. And why? Because ya just never know. I'm not an off-the-deep-end-sky-is-falling type, but I do believe in being prepared for as much as I reasonably can be. I always remember that story about the small town sheriff walking into some town meeting and being greeted by one of the townspeople who asked "Sheriff, I see you are wearing your handgun into the meeting. Are you expecting trouble?" His reply "No. If I was expecting trouble, I'd be carrying my shotgun." (Whether the story is true or not, the point is valid.) And what is that phrase that seems to get just run into the ground on gun boards?? oh yeah, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Besides, it's not really that much heavier, and the mags are easy enough to conceal.

I too hope to never be called upon to actually draw and wield, and/or use my CCW, let alone get into a firefight, but getting into an LA style shootout (caught between the good guys and the bad guys with me just trying to get out of the whole mess without extra venting) is not really why I carry, or why I carry extra mags. More as just a little extra insurance should I have a prolonged trip home from work (which is not too far) in a less than civil social atmosphere, whatever the cause may be. I mean, we're talking just less than a box of ammo. Not cans of belt fed ordinance going to a roof mounted......you get the idea. It's just a little more insurance. For me, it's no big deal. It's not a good idea to blindly spray down an area with ammo just because you have it. (We'll leave that for the movies).

I'm sure the answers are quite varied as are the reasons and perceptions for carrying in the first place. People just do it differently.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Well I don't have my CHL yet but I've been staying in Arizona which allows OC. So I've been using my shoulder hoslter for my 92f that holds two extra mags. My primary CCW is going to be a 38 spl. I'll keep two 6shot strips in my pocket.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There are more benefits to spare magazines, than just the ammo.

I usually carry 1 extra mag. That is most likely to be used in case mag failure.

knsgordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    Fredericksburg
    Whatever and how much you carry, you need to be very proficient with your CH. Practice, practice, and more practice. If you can't hit what you you intend to hit, 20 full magazines or 1, it is not going to make a difference. There are a lot of people out here in this world that think that just because they have a gun, a CHL, and "the chicks dig it" gear, that they are instantly qualified to go the south side with $100 bills hanging from their pockets. IF you think that you are pretty good with your CH then go to local IDPA match and see how you do. The IDPA matches are a very good place to see if you actually have skill with your CH or whether you have been watching too many movies. Just my opinion!

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    Whatever and how much you carry, you need to be very proficient with your CH. Practice, practice, and more practice. If you can't hit what you you intend to hit, 20 full magazines or 1, it is not going to make a difference. There are a lot of people out here in this world that think that just because they have a gun, a CHL, and "the chicks dig it" gear, that they are instantly qualified to go the south side with $100 bills hanging from their pockets. IF you think that you are pretty good with your CH then go to local IDPA match and see how you do. The IDPA matches are a very good place to see if you actually have skill with your CH or whether you have been watching too many movies. Just my opinion!

Can I get an Amen?

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    spare mag in the car. other then that i just have 9 in the magazine and 1 in the pipe with the STI. with the glock i have 16 in the mag and 1 in the pipe

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Been carrying daily now for 32 years and I only have what the weapon holds. I do have a couple extra mags in a cell phone holder on the door of my vehicle I can grab if necessary, but should I have a SHTF situation arise, I am counting on the law of averages to save me.
    Having been on the scene of dozens of shootings over the years, I only remember one that more than 5 shots were fired and it was one of the gang-banger spray and pray deals where the front of a building took multiple hits without falling!

I'm not saying to not carry extras if you feel the need; I'm just giving my 2 cents of a lifetime in law enforcement.

300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    I carry 2 spare mags , for my glock when I carry CHL and at work I carry 4 spare mags when doing Security work at the Telephone company

FlyinFast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    I usally carry what's in the gun wich is 9 rounds. Sometimes I'll carry one or two extra magazines for s&gs. But that is rare. Mostly because of weight. I do agree though that an extra mag is nice if you have a crappy one in the gun.

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    Extra reload on my person when I carry a single stack or revolver. Always have an extra mag (or BUG) in the car/desk even with a hi cap pistol. Not much worse then having used a pistol and be left empty or near empty without being sure if the fights over.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom