• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Ok, I know this is a mall ninja question,. . . . kind of.

If you could only carry one, whould you carry extra magazines or a Back Up Gun (BUG)?

Lets assume that you can only carry one.

(Like I was planning on carrying a G19 with either extra mag or two -or- a 380 kel tec to throw an example out there).

My thoughts are, BUG's are usually much smaller than even a primary CC handgun. Extra mag doesn't compromise any more (than you already have) in the fire-power department.

A BUG lets you have a gun even if your first one has a catastrophic failure.

Opinion? Ideas?
    Hurley's Gold

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Unless I Knew that I would be in a situation that required more firepower, I would carry what I have carried for almost 30 years. 1- 1911 and 3 extra mags. 1 mag in my back pocket and 2 in whatever vehicle I was in... If I ever thought I needed a "BUG" it would then be the 1911, because my main weapon would then be a RIFLE!
    MG

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Extra mags. The gun, if properly maintained and a quality gun, is less likely to fail. Mags are much more likely to fail and they only take a second to change.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I'll preface this with 'I try to avoid situations that would make me feel like I needed a bug or extra mags'. That being said, I would choose extra mags. When hunting, I take 2 extra mags for my sidearm........I don't know why, but I do.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I wasn't planning on going into situations that I'd need it. I was just thinking which would be better to have.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    When we are allowed to open carry in this great state it wouldn't be a BUG to me but I'm sure many individuals would consider my colt Mustang a BUG... Hell even my dad carried it when he was on duty as a BUG... But as I was saying the Mustang would be my primary and my BUG given me a matching pair for symmetry... maybe it's just the right-brained person or maybe it's the OCD, whatever it is, it is a good combination.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Bug all the way, as I do now. 2 is one, 1 is none in the words of Clint Smith.

If you can hit, one should be enough with one mag. If you need more shots than that, you shouldn't be there anyway. If you have a problem with or lose one gun, it doesn't matter how many mags you have for it. Everything mechanical will fail at one time or another.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Bug all the way, as I do now. 2 is one, 1 is none in the words of Clint Smith.

If you can hit, one should be enough with one mag. If you need more shots than that, you shouldn't be there anyway. If you have a problem with or lose one gun, it doesn't matter how many mags you have for it. Everything mechanical will fail at one time or another.
    +1

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Unless I Knew that I would be in a situation that required more firepower, I would carry what I have carried for almost 30 years. 1- 1911 and 3 extra mags. 1 mag in my back pocket and 2 in whatever vehicle I was in... If I ever thought I needed a "BUG" it would then be the 1911, because my main weapon would then be a RIFLE!
    MG

X 1,000,000
    Use your pistol to keep'em occupied until you can get to your rifle!

Top Bottom